Nieeuwpoort, second attempt

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

StuccoFresco
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Nieeuwpoort, second attempt

Post by StuccoFresco »

Ah, there it is. Much better this time: The Dutch infantry comes out from the reserves to help my flanks, and the cavalry manages to do its job. Here you can see how my cavalry on the left flank charges forward to rout his Gendarmes and overrun his artillery; a couple Tercios try to interfere, but this time several of my P&S units are ready to counterattack. The center holds, even if barely. Right flank waits until the Spaniards commit their reserves to the central push, then surge forward to engage his cavalry.

The battle on the right flank is easily won: his Gendarmes can't win against the Kuirassiers. His left flank is enveloped by my infantry too.

The center sees a couple of my units being routed by the Spanish fire, but on the flanks the situation gets better and better despite a couple Tercios being diverted there: I'm able to concentrate the fire of several Mauritian Infantry units into single targets.

The battle is already won, but I feel it's not right: there are several Tercios still kicking, and to deny them any glory seems a robbery. Risky move because now several of them manages to get into melee and wreak havoc.

Still, the superior number of units allow me to whittle them down with gunfire, made easier by the chance of my units to disengage and fall back if they get charged. In the end, I route every single spanish unit, with the last one standing being a Tercio Viejo that could very well have had an Alatriste in his ranks.

Moving forward the reserves and encircling the enemy flanks seems to be the key move, together with a proper use of cavalry. Not a difficult battle, after all.

Return to “After Action Reports”