Map Question

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

cedonxp
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Map Question

Post by cedonxp »

How big is too big for a map? I am going to try to create my first scenario called the race to Leningrad. My map is 150 x 200. Will that crash the scenario?
Attachments
Map I am using.
Map I am using.
North Russian map.png (644.73 KiB) Viewed 3605 times
Akkula
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Re: Map Question

Post by Akkula »

I think is too big. The game does not support huge scenarios (yet), you could try but there is no guarantee is going to work.
So far, 60x60 seems to work just fine.
Eastern Front: Soviet Storm (v1.96): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=50342
Modern Conflicts (v1.95): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=72062
cedonxp
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by cedonxp »

Akkula wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:47 pm I think is too big. The game does not support huge scenarios (yet), you could try but there is no guarantee is going to work.
So far, 60x60 seems to work just fine.
Well, I got time on my hands so I am creating the map and just see what happens. Can you save a map and then go back and crop it? Maybe later I could create a campaign using bits and pieces of this map.
Akkula
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Akkula »

Sure you can.
Just create the big map and then use the crop tool to remove the hexes you want to exclude. Dont forget to "Save As" :P
Eastern Front: Soviet Storm (v1.96): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=50342
Modern Conflicts (v1.95): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=72062
cedonxp
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by cedonxp »

Akkula wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:41 pm Sure you can.
Just create the big map and then use the crop tool to remove the hexes you want to exclude. Don't forget to "Save As" :P
Thanks! at least it won't go to waste when I finish. This map-making tool is so easy to use. I use the map image on my post and now I am just making a huge freaking map, awesome! I have never modded before cause I was always intimidated by it but I got a feeling I will be in the future.
fourmarch
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by fourmarch »

I've tried to create a map and then about 40x40 hexes the map resolution starts to fall.
Before going to details put the map in play and see the results….
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

fourmarch wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:43 pm I've tried to create a map and then about 40x40 hexes the map resolution starts to fall.
I have the impression that 40 x 40 is the maximum. This is the size of the Huge Random Map :

Capture d’écran (312).jpg
Capture d’écran (312).jpg (790.96 KiB) Viewed 3524 times
Akkula
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Akkula »

terminator wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:47 am
fourmarch wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:43 pm I've tried to create a map and then about 40x40 hexes the map resolution starts to fall.
I have the impression that 40 x 40 is the maximum. This is the size of the Huge Random Map :

I don't understand what are you pointing at that hex. It looks like a clear hex, normal.
Also, I managed to create a 90x90 map and it loads ok so far (although it takes ages). But It is not populated yet, so I am not 100% sure.

Regards,
Akkula.
naturesheva
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by naturesheva »

I'v made some tests already, a plain map bigger than 90x90 will crash.
I'm currently work on a 90x60 map, without the unit, and only done 20% of terrain, it can take about 40 seconds to load.
I guess a 60 x 60 map maybe the biggest to handle in the current version.
Akkula
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Akkula »

Wait until you add mountains, water and finish the 100% of the terrain :P
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Akkula wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:17 pm
terminator wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:47 am

I don't understand what are you pointing at that hex. It looks like a clear hex, normal.
Also, I managed to create a 90x90 map and it loads ok so far (although it takes ages). But It is not populated yet, so I am not 100% sure.

Regards,
Akkula.
I pointed this hex(38,38) to know the size of the map. This is the last hexagon accessible at the bottom right. Simply add one hex on each side for the border and we have the size of the map 40x40. This assumes that the hexagon at the top and left is (0,0):

Capture d’écran (329).jpg
Capture d’écran (329).jpg (43.84 KiB) Viewed 3418 times
cicciopastic
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by cicciopastic »

hi,

is there any updated hints about map limits at the moment?
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

cicciopastic wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:18 pm hi,

is there any updated hints about map limits at the moment?
The current hard limit is 256x256 but that will be very unstable if not totally unusable. I would expect a usable map size is very much dependent on your system and the contents of the map. I've seen plain maps of 90x90+ run without a problem. But add any features - mountains, rivers etc that affect the terrain geometry and you rapidly increase the poly count and textures - so GPU strain and memory footprint. Add additional meshes - cities, forests, units etc. and that increases again.

I do know that 64x64 was considered a good average based on what was the most popular from Panzercorps 1. Being able to make the huge, all of Europe type maps was never part of the plan, in the same way as it was never part of the original Panzercorps 1 plan. We do expect, as happened with Panzercorps 1, the average computer will improve over time and new engine optimizations will come along that make those big maps more feasible, as happened with Panzercorps 1.

It's a mostly operational level/grand tactical game, not strategic, so that is the focus and where the game should be at its best. That doesn't prevent modders from doing things that are outside of the scope of the original design, and we support it were possible, but from our side we have to focus on what the game IS rather than what modders might decide they want it to be.
You can design and build a car, but if someone who buys it wants to use it as a bus, they have to accept that theres going to be certain limitations that are inherrent in the design. That is until the upgraded suspension and bolt-on-bus kit arrives.

That being said, the game will continue to improve in both performance and functionality.

Pat

Pat a Pixel Pusher

cicciopastic

Post by cicciopastic »

that's very clear ... i will not complain :) ...

i understand that, thank for your answer.
sstejona
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by sstejona »

I built a 140x120 map. It is playable, but the graphics are no longer as good as on smaller maps (unit details, surface details are less precise). I reduced the map to 90x95 and the graphics are good again.
My desktop is 8 years old and I have 16GB of RAM.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2 Scenario Design”