War of the Roses Round Three - Bosworth

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

War of the Roses Round Three - Bosworth

Post by ahuyton »

Betrayal! After the glorious Lancastrian victories at Towton and St Albans, Paul finds himself victim of a conspiracy among the Tudors and their allies, all eager to horde the spoils of victory. In desperation he seeks out Richard III and offers his assistance.

So on to Bosworth (FoG-M version)

Lancastrians

Kiwiwarlord
Doyley50
PeterthePainter

Yorkists

Gdod
Lascar
Warrior230

Match-ups

Kiwiwarlord v Warrior230
Doyley50 v Lascar
PeterthePainter v Gdod

Lancastrians, please launch the games.

Have fun and best of luck!
Doyley50
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Re: War of the Roses Round Three - Bosworth

Post by Doyley50 »

Game v lascar set up, pwd 1234.
The sun is about to set upon the house of York!
PeterThePainter
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by PeterThePainter »

I am currently staying quite close to Framlingham Castle in Suffolk, which despite being a long way from Bosworth Field has connections with both sides in the battle.

Sir John Howard inherited Framlingham Castle in 1480 and in 1483, as a trusted supporter of the newly crowned Richard III, he became the first Howard to be Duke of Norfolk. Two years later at Bosworth Field he led the front line of Richard's troops but was killed in hand to hand combat by John de Vere, Earl of Oxford, who was his second cousin.

A contemporary tribute to Sir John Howard reads:

"A braver Knight there did not fall
Than Howard, in red Bosworth's brawl.
A better man, a closer friend,
God upon earth did never send;
Though John to York's foul cause did stick,
And fouled his hand for bloody Dick."

Ignoring the rhyming, what strikes me is that the writer may have liked John Howard but knew that with Henry VII on the throne he had to say bad things about Richard!

For his efforts at Bosworth Field John de Vere was given Framlingham Castle. Although John Howard's son Thomas, did get the Castle back in 1489, on his release from the Tower of London.

I thought I would share that with you all and you can look out for John Howard and John de Vere among your generals. Which of the cousins will triumph in our battles?
warrior230
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by warrior230 »

Interesting stuff there Peter! We must endevour to do Sir John Howard Proud in our re-fight!
It's bound to be a bloody day! I hope that Richard will allow me off the leash, for a while at least, and trust me one more time!!
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by KiwiWarlord »

ahuyton wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:04 am So on to Bosworth (FoG-M version)
Alan I have just discovered that there are TWO versions of Bosworth Field in FoGM !!!!
One in the 'Rise of the Swiss' section
the other under 'Bosworth Field'.

I notice that the one set up by Doley50 does not seem to match what my fellow Red Roses have been telling me about their games.
I have not played a move as yet so please would you do some checking as both have different moral and deployment.
I assume that we should all be playing the same game ?

Thanks
Brian
Doyley50

Post by Doyley50 »

I have taken the original version designed by Paul which comes with the DLC. The other version is a more recent mod designed by Stockwellpete as part of his excellent WOR campaign.
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

Thanks, Brian, for bringing this to our attention. I had not at all realised there was another Bosworth scenario,

I think Paul59 tests his 'official' scenarios with care and so I would favour using his version in 'Rise of the Swiss', as Doyley50 suggests.

if a pair of you has already downloaded and started StockwellPete's version then by all means carry on.

I hope this helps.
warrior230
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by warrior230 »

So, which version are we playing then Brian? I don't mind either way...the choice is yours.
Doyley50

Post by Doyley50 »

We have recieved tidings of a Lancastrian victory at Bosworth field (Doyley50-46, Lascar-18) The Tudor army pushed forward steadfastly and, with Northumberland refusing to assist Richard, the Yorkist line crumbled after a hard fight and Henry Tudor chased Richard from the battlefield. At this point lord Stanley decided to throw in his lot with Henry Tudor and Northumberland gave up and went home. Black pudding and Thwaites Ale all round!
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

warrior230 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:22 am So, which version are we playing then Brian? I don't mind either way...the choice is yours.
The same as the other Lancastrians please Paul.
PeterThePainter

For those of us resident in the UK who need to brush up on our knowledge of TWOR(me), you can see "Britain's Bloody Crown" on Channel 5 catch up at the moment if you missed it when it first came out.

Personally, I prefer Michael Wood's approach to TV history documentaries but accepting that these days it is a brave producer who does not introduce actors into documentaries, Dan Jones does a good job, certainly taught me about a period I haven't looked at since school (and that qualifies as history now).

Meanwhile on Bosworth Field the Yorkist's are being very brittle in the early stages of the battle and Richard III is heading for the fighting, a desperate attempt to cling onto a crown with his blood-stained fingers, or a brave man willing to lose all to retain his kingdom and rally his troops? What does the future hold; a place in history or a place in a car park?
Doyley50

Post by Doyley50 »

"For those of us resident in the UK who need to brush up on our knowledge of TWOR(me), you can see "Britain's Bloody Crown" on Channel 5 catch up at the moment if you missed it when it first came out."

Thanks for that, I will certainly have a look. I can recommend "The War of the Roses" podcasts, a series by Derek Birks available on Apple podcasts and I am sure other places as well.
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Setting up Bosworth
I have a weird problem setting up Bosworth, it does not matter if I set the gold shield on Tudor or Yorkist I always get Yorkist.

Anyone else had this problem ?
Doyley50

Post by Doyley50 »

I had no such problem. Which version of the battle are you using?
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Doyley50 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:13 am Which version of the battle are you using?
Well I have been loading other scenarios from the Rise of the Swiss section and I seem to have the same problem with some.
I loaded Hastings and found I could get both sides then went back to Bosworth and loaded 1 Yorkist and 2 Tudor, all showed Yorkist. They are still in the Challenges Section for you to view.
Doyley50

Post by Doyley50 »

KiwiWarlord wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:56 am
Doyley50 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:13 am Which version of the battle are you using?
Well I have been loading other scenarios from the Rise of the Swiss section and I seem to have the same problem with some.
I loaded Hastings and found I could get both sides then went back to Bosworth and loaded 1 Yorkist and 2 Tudor, all showed Yorkist. They are still in the Challenges Section for you to view.
Weird, I have set up several games just now to see what happened. but it came up as Tudor each time. I would suggest that you PM Pip or support@ slitherine to see if they can help
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Tudor Victory at Bosworth Field !

Kiwiwarlord's 9680 Tudors, 7%, defeat Warrior230's 11600 Yorkists, 35%.
All over on Move 9
A very quick battle, Henry lead his army straight in and demolished Richard's Yorkist army in a stand up fight where the Yorkist Army crumbled quickly. Henry was surprised at the rapid demise of Richard's army but was thankful that Sir William Stanley joined him and the Earl of Northumberland marched his troops off the field leaving Richard's army in Rout.
Note : Move 6 Stanleys joined Tudors, score 0% - 23%
Move 7 Earl of Northumberland marches his Command off the Field.
Move 9 Tudor Victory
Wars of the Roses Bosworth 1.png
Wars of the Roses Bosworth 1.png (768.09 KiB) Viewed 652 times
Wars of the Roses Bosworth 2.png
Wars of the Roses Bosworth 2.png (358.76 KiB) Viewed 652 times
PeterThePainter

Thanks Alan for organising this event for us. I have been inspired to do a bit on study on the period as a result of playing the games and I have a much fuller idea understanding of those turbulent times as a result. I also enjoyed the games (well not Towton, but the others were good).

I look forward to a new event soon.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by GDod »

YORKIST VICTORY AT BOSWORTH 42/9

It was another slug-fest between myself and Peter, with our side getting the best of the Lanky lads left flank, though several boisterous units of Lancashire Blackpool lads made good headway on the opposite flank.
On this flank many of our conscripted Yorkshire adolescents dropped bill and bow, and ran. The only saving grace was the fact that Richard made short work of the rashly pursuing Lancashire knights
Simultaneously, the pursuing lighter cavalry eyed up the Yorkist heavy culverins on the rise as a nice trophy while the victorious Lanky infantry turned to flank the Yorkist line.
However,the Lanky left was now in full flight and their centre was collapsing. This gave time for the yorkists to turn and meet the new threat. At this stage Stanley decided it was an opportune time to arrive and, APPARENTLY TO HIS DISMAY, the battle was all but over!

As both Yorkist and Lanky Lads continued to cry havoc and let slip the corgi's of war, Peter was heard to cry above the clamour ...a pox on all stepdads!
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

So, the results:

Gdod (Y) beat PeterthePainter (L) 42:9
Kiwiwarlord (L) beat Warrior230 (Y) 35-7

And we await Doyley50 v Lascar to see if Henry Tudor seizes the Crown or if Richard III turns out to be one of the more sympathetic Kings in history.

Thanks, Peter, for your remarks - much appreciated.

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”