[WISH] Modern Mod

Modders can post their questions on scripting and more.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

[WISH] Modern Mod

Post by MikeAP »

I'd love to see a modern conflict mod with the BA2 game engine.

More specifically, I think the BA2 engine would be great with a focus on low intensity conflict: Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, Eastern Ukraine, etc..

Is there anyone out there that is interested in seeing modern conflicts?

I would be happy even with something fictional.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: [WISH] Modern Mod

Post by PoorOldSpike »

I agree 100% about wanting modern conflicts but I'm not a modder and don't have a clue about creating them.
The only post-WW2 BA2 mods I've heard of are Paul59's 'Cold War' skirmish mod which is USA vs Russia just after WW2-
viewtopic.php?f=221&t=96283

and Rico's 'Indochina' scenarios of the 1950's-
https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 13&t=97242
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

I remember reading about some work with missile projectiles on the BA1(?) form. Talks of a modern mod started and then fell through once Amris and Enric left.
mpetri
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by mpetri »

MikeAP wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:25 pm I'd love to see a modern conflict mod with the BA2 game engine.

More specifically, I think the BA2 engine would be great with a focus on low intensity conflict: Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, Eastern Ukraine, etc..

Is there anyone out there that is interested in seeing modern conflicts?

I would be happy even with something fictional.
It would be interesting, but I feel like it would be kinda hard to mod in stuff like helicopters(unless you used them as the support icon I suppose, much like aircraft are) and anti tank missiles.

On the other hand, I feel like it would be fairly simple to do additional early Cold War scenarios— the British in Malaya, for instance, or 1948 Arab- Israeli War. Perhaps even a Korean War scenario, although I feel like that would be a rather large undertaking with needing to bring in all those Chinese units, not to mention the North and South Koreans.
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

mpetri wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:27 pm It would be interesting, but I feel like it would be kinda hard to mod in stuff like helicopters(unless you used them as the support icon I suppose, much like aircraft are) and anti tank missiles.
Modern combat would certainly offer much faster combat results - which may not be 'fun' for some.

For example, an M1A1 doesn't really 'miss' targets like an M4A1 Sherman; a center-mass hit from an M829A1 depleted uranium round fired from an M1 will mostly likely cause catastrophic results for whatever it hits.

For modern warfare, the focus is more about maneuver: getting your 'stuff' in a position of advantage before the enemy can.
dcoffin
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by dcoffin »

As I have little skill in the Modder category so not clearly capable of such development but I believe mpetri concept of early cold war from Korea may be possible. I did have thought of trying and did some research about USMC (primarily) actions in first year. For most part, it appears last 18-24 months of war was closer to 1914-1918 with much better weapons.

I did find in research that while unit icons do not translate on a country specific most of the North Korean and Chinese equipment and organization info, was based on USSR (since they provided the trainers to both countries initially) and units essentially have a TOE similar to 1945 USSR (T-34-85 for primary tanks, small arms of similar types). Chinese units seemed to be heavy tilted to infantry and artillery with limited armor (at least from what I could find).

US and ROK force structure and equipment was for most part in same situations (differences between Army and Marines of both nations since organized and trained by respective US services)but TOE is essentially 1945,some enhancements as there is better available info available to identify upgrades.

So could use USSR and USMC/US Army units as basis and maybe adjust icons and there are clearly some major differences such as in air support as have more jets and some early helicopters, unlike 1945.

One issue, I struggle to conceptually address was that much of Korea is very mountainous so how to represent locations such as Chosin Reservoir where roads are in fairly deep valleys but much fighting was along ridges. I have not seen where such steep terrain has been used. I think map would need to have significant elevation to accurately represent situation (which may be why BA did not do an expansion for area such as Mount Cassino)

Just food for thought, though if someone wants to see what research I found, will happy to put on dropbox.

dcoffin
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

Re: Terrain

I don't think it would be possible to emulate the hills of Korea accurately in Battle Academy BUT there could be some abstraction with restrictive terrain. Maybe adding rocks and trees to hill masses to limit the moment of tanks would work.

Return to “Battle Academy 2: Modders Corner”