Erik's Multiplayer scenarios

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Celeborn
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Erik's Multiplayer scenarios

Post by Celeborn »

Have been meaning for some time to solicit thoughts on the use of a fixed OB vice allowing some degree of purchasing/deploying units. What reminded me to ask was my review yesterday of German "special abilities" in M-G 1v1 where I again noticed that a couple of them were only meaningful if you could purchase units.

M-G would probably lose much of its historical flavor if it went to total purchase model, but should a small chunk of RPs/CPs be allocated to the various factions? In my many plays of M-G I have wished that both sides could purchase flamethrower tanks and self-propelled rocket artillery,, but also more mundane items such as heavy infantry and light AT guns. And as the Germans I have long wished to have a bit more discretion in terms of where to deploy my (paltry few) units at the start.
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

Celeborn

One solution could be to make regular land units core. That way they can be upgraded and the player could purchase new units after losing core ones.

The para units will stay aux though.
Celeborn

Post by Celeborn »

I love that idea. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the historical flavor but just want some modest ability to customize. The ability to repurchase lost units would also address the problem I had in a recently concluded game where the Luftwaffe units were wiped out around turn 30 and so all the RPs I collected were useless...
Erik2 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:28 am Celeborn

One solution could be to make regular land units core. That way they can be upgraded and the player could purchase new units after losing core ones.

The para units will stay aux though.
Jaydent97
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Jaydent97 »

Hi Erik,

Really like your scandi 2vs1 scenario! But it has some challenges that makes it very hard to play for the German player.

For example around turn 5 the norway player gets a lot of British navy reinforcement meaning the German player will very quickly lose his cruisers and battleships requirement of 5 especially if both allied players focus on those ships. The added fact that those support ships count towards the battleships and cruisers count doesnt help. I managed to only lose two cruisers around turn 11 but the fact i also lost two support ships made the total 4. And i hadnt enaged the british navy yet.

As pointed out by Karismauro the british ships also keep coming creating an large amount of ships for the british side. Obviously the germans should eventually lose the navy game but i think turn 10 is a bit early.

Also the fact that the German player is forced with deployed ships and troops around Narvik, Trondheim, Oslo and a few others makes it quite hard for the German player to make a concentrated attack. We are aware that the allied players barely start with any units but a bit more freedom would be nice.

This also goes for the 6 pre-deployed paratroopers. Two are deployed very close to bornholm (the little danish island) which is quite incovenient seeing that it takes two or three turns for both of those paras to be active in the denmark unless you choose to directly attack Sweden which isnt ideal. Some freedom to deploy the paratroopers would be nice (or moved close to the objectives).

Suggested changes:
- Either less british ships or they should arrive later (like somewhere turn 10 to 20) to give the german player some chance to move around and seize its objectives.
-Give the German player more access to bombers and/or subs so it can be execpted to fullfill the ''sink capital ships'' requirement
- Freedom of where to deploy the paratroopers but limited to around denmark, and the south of norway. (the historical landings are quite fine i believe). You could make it so they could be instantly landed but you can also keep them one turn away from their objective. That should still be fine as well.
-Get rid of the primary objective of losing xx amount of ships or increase it to higher. I dont know if you can remove support ships from not getting added to the list but its a real bugger.
-A bit more freedom to choose not to deploy around narvik but use those ships around trondheim or south of norway.
- Make the two allied players the same alliance since it can often happen they accidently attack each other. It also makes no sense that in the nations wouldnt ally or coordinate if the Germans would have attacked. Honestly like the idea behind it, but it just doesnt work.

Thanks for the scenario! Its been challenge to play so far!
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Jaydent97

Thanks for the detailed feedback.
This is a really old scenario and will probably need a complete overhaul.
Whenever I get some free time I'll take another look at it.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”