[MOD]Dividing the Spoils (DiSp) (v1.3.9)

Moderator: Pocus

kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

[MOD]Dividing the Spoils (DiSp) (v1.3.9)

Post by kronenblatt »

Alexander the Great is dead, succumbing in the halls of Babylon. The chiliarch Perdiccas has secured power and has distributed satrapies and offices to Alexander's generals, himself assuming the regent role of the two kings, Philip III and Alexander's newborn son, Alexander IV. Thus, the Macedonian empire is temporarily united, but its satraps and generals are not content on being junior to one of their own. Especially the elderly Antipater, regent and supreme commander in the homelands, acts as a potential counterweight to Perdiccas' influence and ambitions. In the west, powerful Carthage is eyeing the development, unaware of the rising star of Rome, the future cause of its defeat and complete annihilation. In the east, the rising but not yet existing power of Maurya is destined to disrupt Macedonian hegemony in India.

This mod starts in 323 BCE, 13 years before the main game but still ending in 190 CE, and initially focuses on the rivalries among Alexander's generals following immediately after his death. Take on the role of Perdiccas (in Babylonia) as Alexander's second-in-command, attempting to hold together the Alexandrian empire. Or as one of the many Macedonian satraps, dominating all the others, and becoming the equal of Perdiccas, Antipater, and (gods forbid) Alexander! Once the dust settles among the Diadochi, it will revert to become more of the base game, albeit with some special features such as remote regions, random weather, and faction-specific armies.

The Diadochi political situation at start

As usual, many thanks to Pocus for his immense help and advice on making this mod work and keeping me on the right route. :)

Download and instructions (latest version as of July 24, 2023)
Download of latest version (v0.9 for FoGE v1.3.9) from my Google Drive, available HERE (323BCE_DividingSpoils_v139).

Important: Remove any earlier versions of the mod (folder and files) and then unzip/extract this download file and place the unzipped folder (named 323BCE_DividingSpoils_v139) and its files in the SCENARIOS folder of FieldOfGloryEmpires, under Documents/My Games/, so that it looks like this:

Main changes and mechanics
  • The Diadochi Era (or The Era of Satrapies and Imperial Regencies)
    • Start year of 323 BCE.
    • Several new Diadochi as factions, based on the Partition at Babylon.
    • New unit types, aiming to reflect the army compositions that existed upon the death of Alexander.
    • This era involves two specific government forms (Satrapy (level 1) and Imperial Regency (level 2)) and a number of mechanisms and specific features.
    • Satrapies can evolve into Imperial Regencies through the normal means of gaining enough Progress Tokens when Glorious, but also through getting hold of the Two Kings (see below).
    • It lasts until one of the Diadochi is a Glorious Imperial Regency with +4 Tokens, is an Old Imperial Regency with -4 Tokens or takes the Decision to Kill The Two Kings.
    • Then all Imperial Regencies become Monarchies, potentially absorbing a few (or many!) of their neighbouring Satrapies, with the remaining Satrapies becoming Monarchies too.
    • Once the Diadochi Era has ended, the game basically reverts to vanilla, albeit in a vastly different political landscape.
  • The Funeral Wagon of Alexander
    • This wagon will move randomly between regions (or rather province areas), but never turn back.
    • Once reaching a region controlled by an Imperial Regency or when the Diadochi Era ends, it will be put to halt and a grand tomb in the form of a Wonder will be built in that region.
  • Diadochi Authority
    • All Diadochi will each turn get a Authority value that may result in certain modifiers (Highest, High, Low, Lowest).
    • The Authority value of a Diadochus will primarily be positively affected by his number of regions, if at war, if being Protector of The Two Kings, CDR, Status (Young, Stable, Old, etc.), and with a random component of course.
    • An Imperial Regency with Low Authority will lose 1 Token.
    • An Imperial Regency with Lowest Authority will diminish into a Satrapy.
    • Macedonia under Antipatros is protected from getting Low or Lowest Authority, and under either of his successors (Kassandros or Polyperkhon) from Lowest Authority.
    • The one of the Diadochi with the Highest Authority of all will gain 10 Legacy and 1 Token.
    • No Diadochi can get that reward two turns in a row.
  • Diadochi Relations
    • Imperial Regencies tend to like Satrapies, and vice versa.
    • Imperial Regencies tend to dislike each other.
    • Satrapies tend to dislike each other.
  • Perdikkas
    • At start, Perdikkas rules Babylonia and has a favourable position through possessing The Two Kings, Eumenes of Kardia, and the mightiest army of all the Diadochi.
    • However, his situation will become increasing perilous and hazardous since he will need to be successful in order to motivate the choice of him as Alexander's "successor".
    • This exposure will last for the first six turns in that he needs to gain at least one Token per turn on average and (if at war against other Diadochi) obtain a War Score of at least -20 in the first turn, increasing by 5 each turn, until reaching +5 as requirement in the sixth turn.
    • If Perdikkas does not fulfil this, he risks being assassinated and replaced by Seleukos, with Babylonia losing The Two Kings and becoming a mere Satrapy (albeit a Glorious one at least).
    • Once the first six turns have passed though, Perdikkas is deemed to have proven himself worthy his position and the requirements above no longer apply.
  • The Two Kings
    • Being in possession and thus the Protector of The Two Kings (i.e., the two Macedonian kings Philippos III and Alexandros IV) results in a positive modifier and is beneficial to Diadochi Authority.
    • Possession of The Two Kings is gained through obtaining a positive War Score against the Protector of The Two Kings.
    • The Diadochi faction gaining The Two Kings will be promoted to Imperial Regency and the faction losing them being diminished to Satrapy.
    • At start, Perdikkas of Babylonia is Protector of The Two Kings.
    • Any new Protector of The Two Kings after Perdikkas (and Perdikkas too if regaining The Two Kings) will obtain a Decision to Kill The Two Kings.
    • Taking that Decision will result in the Diadochi Era and its mechanics ending (see above).
  • Client States
    • A Diadochi faction will absorb any other Diadochi factions being its client states (whether Imperial Regencies or Satrapies).
    • A Diadochi faction will absorb Cappadocia and Armenia if its client states.
  • Krateros
    • Krateros and his Silver Shields have at start not yet sided with any of the Diadochi factions.
    • He will only join an Imperial Regency with the Highest Authority of all.
    • This is checked every turn, with an probability for joining that increases with each turn.
  • Eumenes of Kardia
    • This excellent general is at start serving under Perdikkas of Babylonia, but will leave if (when?) Perdikkas dies.
    • Once one of the other Diadochi declare war upon Cappadocia or Paphlagonia (with Perdikkas still ruling Babylonia), he will join that Diadochi faction instead, staying there until peace or Perdikkas dies.
    • Eumenes may later reappear with the Diadochi faction that at such time is Protector of The Two Kings or as a Diadochi ruler in his own right, governing a realm of his own.
  • Successor to Antipatros of Makedonia
    • Once Antipatros' Health deteriorates below "Poor", Macedonia will get a Decision with the opportunity to appoint his successor: his son Kassandros or his old comrade-in-arms Polyperkhon.
    • The downside of taking that Decision is that Antipatros is gone as ruler, but the benefit is that his successor is known and will provide some floor to Diadochi Authority (see above).
    • So once Antipatros dies without the Decision having been taken, it is too late.
Last edited by kronenblatt on Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:11 am, edited 13 times in total.
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
Geffalrus
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: [MOD]Dividing the Spoils (DiSp) (v1.3.9)

Post by Geffalrus »

YESSSSSSSS!!!!!! :D :D :D
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Geffalrus wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:35 am YESSSSSSSS!!!!!! :D :D :D
Glad to at least make someone happy! :D

So in the opening post, you'll now find a download link with instructions to v0.8 of this mod. You could be my beta tester?

Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

kronenblatt wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:31 am

So in the opening post, you'll now find a download link with instructions to v0.8 of this mod. You could be my beta tester?
Give me a couple days to get home from Bath, England and back to the ole US of A. Then I should be better able play enough to have a proper test and report. :)
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Geffalrus wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:26 pm
kronenblatt wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:31 am

Give me a couple days to get home from Bath, England and back to the ole US of A. Then I should be better able play enough to have a proper test and report. :)
No rush. I'm particularly interested in bugs and incorrect texts, of course, but what I'd also like to improve is which units among the Diadochi factions that get exported to FoG II:Ancients for games there. So that we get a distinct flavour for their wars and battles. (They don't necessarily need to vary among them, because that will be taken care of by itself through provincial units, but I'd like them to really their armies and units to be of Macedonian origin.)

Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

Finally home and booted up the mod for a quick look at Perdikkas and the other factions. Initial impressions:

- So far, the faction descriptions and connections to the Partition of Babylon determined satraps all look good.

- The unique mechanics governing relative Diadochi status will take me more time to figure out, but I like the general direction.

- My culture and standing are already tanking as Perdikkas, which is devilishly appropriate, and I will need quite a bit of time to figure out wtf you should do as him. :twisted:

- The Perdikkan starting army could maybe use a rework. As of 323, it should represent the bulk of the Macedonian Royal Army, and thus be composed of high amounts of Pikes, War Elephants, and Lancers. The lancers are already there, but the elephants and pikes are lacking. Instead of all the hoplites and light troops, replace them with pikes and war elephants, and let the player fill out the light troops from local levies.

- Similarly, will the Cilician army represent the force Craterus is marching back to Macedon? If so, that army would represent the second largest collection of pikes in Alexander's empire, and possess the Elite Silver Shields.

- An argument could be made for changing pikes around a little bit with the 323 BC start. At the time, you had the Elite Silver Shields who were a one of a kind unit that destroyed other pikes in combat in all battles, Veteran Macedonians who had seen some action, and fresh recruits either from Macedonia (or from the local population if you were desperate). Of these three, only the fresh recruits probably should be buildable? The Silver Shields in 310BC are the prototypes for the Royal Guard units who will use the same name as the Successor Kingdoms establish themselves. In 323BC, the military settler colonies that fed the Royal Guard system aren't in place yet. So ideally you would only want the Fresh Recruits to be buildable, while the Veterans and Elite Silver Shields would be pre-placed. However, the neat historical mechanic that existed was that victorious commanders could capture these veteran soldiers and incorporate them into their own army. Is that even possible in FoGE?

- I also think that an argument could be made for giving Diadochi access to Indian War Elephants (like what the Maurya get in 310BC) instead of the more generic War Elephants they get in 310 BC. As of 323, war elephants are fearsome new war weapons from the Macedonian perspective, and probably at the peak of their power and expense. To compensate, make them more difficult to acquire via a higher level military building, unless you control the Indian territories.

Alright, time to play some more.
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Geffalrus wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:09 pm Finally home and booted up the mod for a quick look at Perdikkas and the other factions. Initial impressions:

1. So far, the faction descriptions and connections to the Partition of Babylon determined satraps all look good.

2. The unique mechanics governing relative Diadochi status will take me more time to figure out, but I like the general direction.

3. My culture and standing are already tanking as Perdikkas, which is devilishly appropriate, and I will need quite a bit of time to figure out wtf you should do as him. :twisted:

4. The Perdikkan starting army could maybe use a rework. As of 323, it should represent the bulk of the Macedonian Royal Army, and thus be composed of high amounts of Pikes, War Elephants, and Lancers. The lancers are already there, but the elephants and pikes are lacking. Instead of all the hoplites and light troops, replace them with pikes and war elephants, and let the player fill out the light troops from local levies.

5. Similarly, will the Cilician army represent the force Craterus is marching back to Macedon? If so, that army would represent the second largest collection of pikes in Alexander's empire, and possess the Elite Silver Shields.

6. An argument could be made for changing pikes around a little bit with the 323 BC start. At the time, you had the Elite Silver Shields who were a one of a kind unit that destroyed other pikes in combat in all battles, Veteran Macedonians who had seen some action, and fresh recruits either from Macedonia (or from the local population if you were desperate). Of these three, only the fresh recruits probably should be buildable? The Silver Shields in 310BC are the prototypes for the Royal Guard units who will use the same name as the Successor Kingdoms establish themselves. In 323BC, the military settler colonies that fed the Royal Guard system aren't in place yet. So ideally you would only want the Fresh Recruits to be buildable, while the Veterans and Elite Silver Shields would be pre-placed. However, the neat historical mechanic that existed was that victorious commanders could capture these veteran soldiers and incorporate them into their own army. Is that even possible in FoGE?

7. I also think that an argument could be made for giving Diadochi access to Indian War Elephants (like what the Maurya get in 310BC) instead of the more generic War Elephants they get in 310 BC. As of 323, war elephants are fearsome new war weapons from the Macedonian perspective, and probably at the peak of their power and expense. To compensate, make them more difficult to acquire via a higher level military building, unless you control the Indian territories.

Alright, time to play some more.
Thanks for answer!

4. Makes sense: which unit type in FoGE for the Pikes would that when involve? (ID_UNI_CMH_PHALANX0, ID_UNI_CMH_PALACE_GUARDS0?) The type of Pikes that he currently has (then ID_UNI_CMH_PHALANX0) but currently only 1 unit, while Antipater has 4 of it.

5. No, that is a simply satrapy army. Craterus will at some time join the Imperial Regency faction with the highest authority, given certain circumstances, his force composed of 3 Silver Shield units, 5 Pike units (ID_UNI_CMH_PHALANX0), and 2 Xystophoroi units.

6. Which unit type in FoGE would these Fresh Recruits correspond to? (And in FoG2?)

7. So your suggestion is to make it possible to the Diadochi factions (through some certain building) to recruit Indian War Elephants? Is there a practical difference between Indian War Elephants and generic War Elephants: quality, capabilities, etc., in FoGE and FoG2? Other than cosmetically.

Mevelios
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Mevelios »

While I'm not knowledgeable enough to debate about historical facts, gameplay-wise I've got a few questions:
  1. Several diadochi do not have the hellenic tradition as a perk (Hellespontos, Lydia, Baktriane...); is it intended?
  2. I'm getting confused with the factions around Bactriana; Paropamisadai does have the hellenic ethnicity & tradition perk but no phrouria/kleros, Baktriane has the hellenic ethnicity but no tradition perk/phrouria/kleros, Bactra appearing later has the nomadic ethnicity as well as the hellenic tradition & phrouria/kleros... Should they differ that much?
  3. The funeral wagon started and never moved from Naucratis in Aegyptus Inferior, probably unintended since it's supposed to launch from Babylon?
  4. As soon as every diadochi goes independant, the authority status seems to no longer reset and its benefits (or penalties) stick endlessly, is this intended?
  5. What are the conditions for absorbing smaller diadochi into a bigger faction? I suddenly saw a large, unopposed Seleucid unification as soon as everyone went independant, which quickly snowballed into T50 expanding from Pontus/Armenia provinces to the north, to Hyrcania/Persis to the east, down to Arabia Orientalis to the south, and stopping at the Sinai's borders up to Comagene in the west.
Good job anyway, the real downside sadly come from the performances. The extra calculations make each end of turn rather slow on my end, but my machine isn't brand new either!
Last edited by Mevelios on Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not fear decadence. Embrace it.
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

kronenblatt wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:43 pm Thanks for answer!

4. Makes sense: which unit type in FoGE for the Pikes would that when involve? (ID_UNI_CMH_PHALANX0, ID_UNI_CMH_PALACE_GUARDS0?) The type of Pikes that he currently has (then ID_UNI_CMH_PHALANX0) but currently only 1 unit, while Antipater has 4 of it.

5. No, that is a simply satrapy army. Craterus will at some time join the Imperial Regency faction with the highest authority, given certain circumstances, his force composed of 3 Silver Shield units, 5 Pike units (ID_UNI_CMH_PHALANX0), and 2 Xystophoroi units.

6. Which unit type in FoGE would these Fresh Recruits correspond to? (And in FoG2?)

7. So you're saying to make it available to the Diadochi factions (through some certain building) to recruit Indian War Elephants? Is there a practical difference between Indian War Elephants and generic War Elephants: quality, capabilities, etc., in FoGE and FoG2? Other than cosmetically.
4. Veteran pikes could replace the existing Silver Shield unit as that would just be a name change. Ideally the Elite Silver Shields would be an additional unit of pikes in the game with Elite morale instead of Superior. But a simpler solution would just be to make sure that Craterus army has a large force of Veteran pikes. Considering how often the Elite Silver Shields switched sides, it would only make sense to include them if that switching mechanic was included as well. For now, leave them out?

5. Sounds great. Will be very interested to see how well Craterus arrives! :D

6. Good question. I've struggled with whether Average or Raw morale best represents this unit. Maybe Raw Pikes (48 pts in FoG2 and seen mostly in Ptolemy and Pyrrhus lists) are the correct solution? This would make them most similar to the rapidly recruited Machimoi prior to Raphia. In FoGE, they would be Phalanx unit build requirements, but with a cheaper cost and weaker combat stats (6/5 2 HP and 2 Stamina perhaps?) to compensate. Maybe once the initial Wars of the Diadochi are determined to be over, they could be replaced by the normal Average Pikes as these would represent the more formalized training and recruitment regimen that we know from the Antigonid/Seleucid/Ptolemaic kingdoms?

7. Last I checked, the Mauryan War Elephants have +1 attack/defense/HP over normal War Elephants, I think?
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Geffalrus wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:31 pm
kronenblatt wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:43 pm Thanks for answer!

7. So you're saying to make it available to the Diadochi factions (through some certain building) to recruit Indian War Elephants? Is there a practical difference between Indian War Elephants and generic War Elephants: quality, capabilities, etc., in FoGE and FoG2? Other than cosmetically.
4. Veteran pikes could replace the existing Silver Shield unit as that would just be a name change. Ideally the Elite Silver Shields would be an additional unit of pikes in the game with Elite morale instead of Superior. But a simpler solution would just be to make sure that Craterus army has a large force of Veteran pikes. Considering how often the Elite Silver Shields switched sides, it would only make sense to include them if that switching mechanic was included as well. For now, leave them out?

5. Sounds great. Will be very interested to see how well Craterus arrives! :D

6. Good question. I've struggled with whether Average or Raw morale best represents this unit. Maybe Raw Pikes (48 pts in FoG2 and seen mostly in Ptolemy and Pyrrhus lists) are the correct solution? This would make them most similar to the rapidly recruited Machimoi prior to Raphia. In FoGE, they would be Phalanx unit build requirements, but with a cheaper cost and weaker combat stats (6/5 2 HP and 2 Stamina perhaps?) to compensate. Maybe once the initial Wars of the Diadochi are determined to be over, they could be replaced by the normal Average Pikes as these would represent the more formalized training and recruitment regimen that we know from the Antigonid/Seleucid/Ptolemaic kingdoms?

7. Last I checked, the Mauryan War Elephants have +1 attack/defense/HP over normal War Elephants, I think?
4. Can't see that Perdiccas currently got any Silver Shields? So in 323 BCE, should he in Babylon have (Average) Pikes or Veteran Pikes?

5. Will differ from game to game, somewhat (but of course not entirely) stochastically. :)

7. OK, perfect!

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Mevelios wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:21 pm While I'm not knowledgeable enough to debate about historical facts, gameplay-wise I've got a few questions:
  1. Several diadochi do not have the hellenic tradition as a perk (Hellespontos, Lydia, Baktriane...); is it intended?
  2. I'm getting confused with the factions around Bactriana; Paropamisadai does have the hellenic ethnicity & tradition perk but no phrouria/kleros, Baktriane has the hellenic ethnicity but no tradition perk/phrouria/kleros, Bactra appearing later has the nomadic ethnicity as well as the hellenic tradition & phrouria/kleros... Should they differ that much?
  3. The funeral wagon started and never moved from Naucratis in Aegyptus Inferior, probably unintended since it's supposed to launch from Babylon?
  4. As soon as every diadochi goes independant, the authority status seems to no longer reset and its benefits (or penalties) stick endlessly, is this intended?
  5. What are the conditions for absorbing smaller diadochi into a bigger faction? I suddenly saw a large, unopposed Seleucid unification as soon as everyone went independant, which quickly snowballed into T50 expanding from Pontus/Armenia provinces to the north, to Hyrcania/Persis to the east, down to Arabia Orientalis to the south, and stopping at the Sinai's borders up to Comagene in the west.
Good job anyway, the real downside sadly come from the performances. The extra calculations make each end of turn rather slow on my end, but my machine isn't brand new either!
1-2. No deep thinking behind that actually. :) I just used some random outcomes to generate some variety of modifiers among the Diadochi factions, aimed at the individuals more than the states. So more thoughtful considerations, input and suggestions on that would be appreciated. Please then base it on the actual modifier tags, for me not having to second guess which modifiers you refer to. Regarding structures please there also give suggestions which Diadochi factions that should have which overall set of structures:

Bactra's list: $ID_STRUC_BAC_KLEROS|$ID_STRUC_BAC_PHROURIA|$ID_STRUC_HEL_THYMELA|$ID_STRUC_HEL_THESAUROS|$ID_STRUC_HEL_STOA|$ID_STRUC_HEL_ODEON|$ID_STRUC_HEL_PROPYLAEA|$ID_STRUC_HEL_ACROPOLIS|$ID_STRUC_HEL_KOROPLATHOS|$ID_STRUC_HEL_ASKLEPIEION|$ID_STRUC_HEL_BOULEUTERION
or
Current Diadochi standard list:
$ID_STRUC_HEL_THYMELA|$ID_STRUC_HEL_THESAUROS|$ID_STRUC_HEL_STOA|$ID_STRUC_HEL_ODEON|$ID_STRUC_HEL_PROPYLAEA|$ID_STRUC_HEL_ACROPOLIS|$ID_STRUC_HEL_KOROPLATHOS|$ID_STRUC_HEL_ASKLEPIEION|$ID_STRUC_HEL_BOULEUTERION|$ID_STRUC_OLYMPIC_GAMES|$ID_STRUC_HEL_SHIP_HOUSES
or combinations...

3. It DID move from Babylon, but since each turn is 1 year it moves several regions in one go. And in your specific scenario ended up in Naucratis, not moving any further.

4. No, they should be removed. Will fix. Thanks for pointing out.

5. Roughly speaking, during the Diadochi era (i.e., while still Imperial Regencies and Satrapies) Imperial Regency lieges would absorb nearby Satrapy client states/vassals. Once independence strikes, faction that were Imperial Regencies (other than Macedonia itself) may absorb nearby Satrapies (whether their client states/vassals or not) to different extents (somewhat stochastically).

6. Yes, computations are unfortunately more cumbersome, due to modding specific mechanics (and maybe not in the most efficient script way...). Hopefully that'll end once all Imperial Regencies and Satrapies go "normal".

Mevelios

Post by Mevelios »

kronenblatt wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:52 am1-2. No deep thinking behind that actually. :) I just used some random outcomes to generate some variety of modifiers among the Diadochi factions, aimed at the individuals more than the states. So more thoughtful considerations, input and suggestions on that would be appreciated. Please then base it on the actual modifier tags, for me not having to second guess which modifiers you refer to. Regarding structures please there also give suggestions which Diadochi factions that should have which overall set of structures
I'll get back to you later on this one since I've got to head out soon. I was especially missing the phrouria/kleros in Bactriana since from my 310 BCE scenario experience it works really well to resist Indian factions to the south while nomads invade from the north, sometimes leaving me only with the alpine/mountainous regions in which phrouria do revert into kleros once at peace, easing the strain on such unfriendly terrain regarding food production.
kronenblatt wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:52 am3. It DID move from Babylon, but since each turn is 1 year it moves several regions in one go. And in your specific scenario ended up in Naucratis, not moving any further.
Right, there's no message about its location in T1, so I thought it had launched elsewhere (in this case Naucratis). Starting T2 all start-of-turn messages were saying the wagon was in Naucratis, then it never moved away from there, hence my question since it didn't seem there were any way to influence its route. The tomb was built once independance struck, but on a restart the wagon followed a different route (T2 Issus > T3 Migdonia and tomb built immediately) so the randomness works as intended. I was simply surprised it stood so long in the same region without ever moving from it.
kronenblatt wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:52 am5. [...] Once independence strikes, faction that were Imperial Regencies (other than Macedonia itself) may absorb nearby Satrapies (whether their client states/vassals or not) to different extents (somewhat stochastically).
I see; I was impressed by how efficient Seleukeia had been in absorbing so many neighbours (basically following Persia's expansion in its 550 BCE scenario), unlike Antigoneia which barely had half of modern Turkey and Makedonia sticking to its starting territories.
kronenblatt wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:52 am6. Yes, computations are unfortunately more cumbersome, due to modding specific mechanics (and maybe not in the most efficient script way...). Hopefully that'll end once all Imperial Regencies and Satrapies go "normal".
It improved slightly indeed, which was welcome. Still feels like I'm in the 100+ turns of the 550 BCE scenario but it can't be helped!

On a side note, I'd recommend changing a few factions' colors such as Massalia, Massaesylia & Gothones which are very easy to mistake for independantists (world factions) under the ownership overlay.

Also, is there a specific event or intent behind the remote African regions inland? Most of them seem to be desertic regions but you cut the access to all inland Arabia already, hence my question!
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Mevelios wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:26 am Also, is there a specific event or intent behind the remote African regions inland? Most of them seem to be desertic regions but you cut the access to all inland Arabia already, hence my question!
Is that the case already from start or developing later? The mod doesn't have any inland Saharan regions on my computer. But there's a risk that it differs between computers (has happened before), so would like to know more about this.

Mevelios

Post by Mevelios »

kronenblatt wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:37 pmIs that the case already from start or developing later? The mod doesn't have any inland Saharan regions on my computer. But there's a risk that it differs between computers (has happened before), so would like to know more about this.
Weird! Anyway it's developing later, they progressively open up the same way they do in the 310 BCE grand campaign with several of them being inaccessible to their north (you can identify them through the minimap I displayed). On my end, it's actually all of the Sahara Occidentalis & Sudana that await opening despite buffer, inaccessible regions around it (especially south of Kyrene's starting position).

BTW, bit of a shame both Mauretania provinces had a total of three regions shut down (Centa/Cinalaphiae/Bescerae), Numidia its southernmost desert (Nattabutae) and Nubia Superior its southwestern swamp in this mostly arid area (Equatoria). They're a great help to these lands otherwise hard to develop - especially in Nubia Superior which is the "powerhouse" of the area to rival Arabia Felix on the opposite coast. However Arabia Felix lost two desertic regions so it's somewhat even (not in productivity, but at least in population unless resorting to many slaves).

Don't know if it would be much help in calculations, but more lands in other areas could probably be shut down too:
-Sarmatia Orientalis, which is the second source after Sarmatia Meridionalis of sarmatian cataphracts, too much military might so close to one another but that's only my opinion;
-Voronesa, three regions for an unremarkable provincial medium infantry;
-Sahara Occidentalis, its cameliers can be found all over north Africa;
-Prusia, though I don't know or can't remember if I ever met its provincial unit;
-Kazakia, which is decent once fully unlocked but its owner will likely be the one from Sogdiana where horse archers are found, too much military might in the same hands;
-Aralia Orientalis, three steppes and its provincial medium cavalry are always worth a little something but considering their numbers, they might as well all be available from the start or just remain unaccessible (even moreso considering the steppes' output);
-Scandinavia Occidentalis & Norvega, for the same reason as above - after 200+ turns western Norvega is still closed in my different playthroughs including in germanic lands, though I'm clueless about the conditions to open access to such lands;
-Maybe Polonia Meridionalis, though again I don't know or can't remember its provincial unit (and "maybe" because considering how large it is once unlocked, it's worth fighting over for the locals);
-And the African deserts inland making the provinces of Sahara Orientalis & Sudana.
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

kronenblatt wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:26 am 4. Can't see that Perdiccas currently got any Silver Shields? So in 323 BCE, should he in Babylon have (Average) Pikes or Veteran Pikes?
4. He currently does not. My initial suggestion for the Royal Army would be to start it off with a composition of 4 Xystophoroi (already there, so no change), 4 War Elephants (Indian version as discussed), 4 Veteran Pikes, and 4 Fresh Pikes (Raw version, not the current Average type) representing new arrivals sent east by Antipater. Alexander's army on the march west from India probably included a whole array of regional units, but it's harder to positively identify them in Perdikkas's army since, you know, the sources focused more on the Greco-Macedonians. There was probably a whole unit of Persian Epigonoi Alexander started to train, but they just don't appear in the early Wars of the Diadochi from what I can see. Which is a shame, as something clearly must have happened to them. Anyway, before making the Royal Army any more powerful by filling it out with pre-set support units, let's see how this core of primary Macedonian units works out. :)
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Geffalrus wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:56 pm My initial suggestion for the Royal Army would be to start it off with a composition of 4 Xystophoroi (already there, so no change), 4 War Elephants (Indian version as discussed), 4 Veteran Pikes, and 4 Fresh Pikes (Raw version, not the current Average type).
This is what it would correspond to in FoG:Ancients then, right?

Because I cannot see which FoGE units would be the Fresh/Raw Pikes. Do you?

And the Veteran Pikes would then involve Silver Shields in FoGE.

So it seems that two new units (Veteran Pikes and Raw Pikes) need to be modded into FoGE and this DiSp mod.
Last edited by kronenblatt on Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Geffalrus wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:31 pm Last I checked, the Mauryan War Elephants have +1 attack/defense/HP over normal War Elephants, I think?
True. (It's the ID_UNI_IND_WAR_ELEPHANTS0 ("Indian War Elephants"), for my reference.)

Maybe these Indian War Elephants should only be available in Satrapy Palace structures (in the case of Diadochi), and the same would go for Raw Pikes. And Satrapy Palaces would only be available either to the Diadochi tags or to the Satrapy and Imperial Regency governments (i.e., only for as long as these government types last).

(btw: I've now created three new unit types for the Diadochi factions only: Raw Pikes, Pikes, and Veteran Pikes.)

Mevelios

Post by Mevelios »

kronenblatt wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:52 am1-2. No deep thinking behind that actually. :) I just used some random outcomes to generate some variety of modifiers among the Diadochi factions, aimed at the individuals more than the states. So more thoughtful considerations, input and suggestions on that would be appreciated. Please then base it on the actual modifier tags, for me not having to second guess which modifiers you refer to. Regarding structures please there also give suggestions which Diadochi factions that should have which overall set of structures: [...] or combinations...
To get back on this one: I think Bactra, Baktriane & Paropamisadai should have the same building opportunities, with the list from the Bactria faction of the grand campaign scenario (based on the usual hellene selection, to which the worship place and Bactria's exclusive kleros/phrouria are added). They're the most likely to find themselves around Bactriana, Parthia or even Kazakia provinces which include several desert, mountainous and alpine regions.

The military can remain different; Bactra follows Bactria's example, no silver shields but citizen hoplites are replaced by the sparabara infantry (ATK 3/3 DEF and no city defender bonus, but a weak ranged attack and the besieger trait unlike hoplites) until the decision to improve medium infantry is made. However Bactra should probably switch its ethnicity from nomadic to hellenic, it's a really powerful boon to loyalty in this area made of nomadic populations (especially if Saka finds itself in a poor standing, this faction is likely to keep control over most of Chorasmia & Sogdiana).

I don't know how these all translate into the game's ressources & lists, I'd need to seriously look at the modding part.
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

kronenblatt wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:46 pm True. (It's the ID_UNI_IND_WAR_ELEPHANTS0 ("Indian War Elephants"), for my reference.)

Maybe these Indian War Elephants should only be available in Satrapy Palace structures (in the case of Diadochi), and the same would go for Raw Pikes. And Satrapy Palaces would only be available either to the Diadochi tags or to the Satrapy and Imperial Regency governments (i.e., only for as long as these government types last).

(btw: I've now created three new unit types for the Diadochi factions only: Raw Pikes, Pikes, and Veteran Pikes.)
Oh I like that idea of restricting them to the Satrapy Palace.

I've been messing around with playing some other satrapies besides Babylon. Karia seems impressively strong seeing as I think they inherited the "old" Antigonid capital of Halicarnassus with all its infrastructure. If/when that gets adjusted, I imagine their relative power will decrease. But for now, Asander stands tall! Phrygia is interesting; you lack infrastructure to train the best troops, but you do have a good number of regions. You get warband regionals, which is a bit anachronistic as they represent Galatians, but that's no doubt on the list for future changes. I like that the Antigonid actual capital of Celeanae is in place, tho it's a bit small compared to Halicarnassus next door. Main issue is that you currently lack any ability to train pikes......at least until Raw Pikes arrive with the Satrap Palace.

I also tried out Indike and was doing pretty well for the first few turns until Chandragupta arrived and all my territories but one disappeared in a flash, taking my decent army with them. So that was bad (for them). Throughout these plays, I've mostly seen Craterus side with Antipater in Macedon or Perdikkas/Seleukos in Babylonia. I imagine Ptolemy could potentially grab him. I'd love to snag him during a Karia/Asander play through once I understand the mechanic better. Craterus's army is pretty beastly. :D
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Geffalrus wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:41 pm
kronenblatt wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:46 pm True. (It's the ID_UNI_IND_WAR_ELEPHANTS0 ("Indian War Elephants"), for my reference.)

Oh I like that idea of restricting them to the Satrapy Palace.

I've been messing around with playing some other satrapies besides Babylon. Karia seems impressively strong seeing as I think they inherited the "old" Antigonid capital of Halicarnassus with all its infrastructure. If/when that gets adjusted, I imagine their relative power will decrease. But for now, Asander stands tall! Phrygia is interesting; you lack infrastructure to train the best troops, but you do have a good number of regions. You get warband regionals, which is a bit anachronistic as they represent Galatians, but that's no doubt on the list for future changes. I like that the Antigonid actual capital of Celeanae is in place, tho it's a bit small compared to Halicarnassus next door. Main issue is that you currently lack any ability to train pikes......at least until Raw Pikes arrive with the Satrap Palace.

I also tried out Indike and was doing pretty well for the first few turns until Chandragupta arrived and all my territories but one disappeared in a flash, taking my decent army with them. So that was bad (for them). Throughout these plays, I've mostly seen Craterus side with Antipater in Macedon or Perdikkas/Seleukos in Babylonia. I imagine Ptolemy could potentially grab him. I'd love to snag him during a Karia/Asander play through once I understand the mechanic better. Craterus's army is pretty beastly. :D
Should maybe some satrapies’ armies get reduced? For example, all Citizen Hoplites? And more?

I’ll then update the mod and publish a new version for consideration.

Also, did Antigonos control Helicarnassos already in 323 BCE? Phrygia Megale was mostly landlocked, right?

Return to “MOD”