DAW - Der andere Weg - The other way

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

rubyjuno
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: DAW - Der andere Weg - The other way

Post by rubyjuno »

rubyjuno wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:14 am
demyansk wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:24 pm Hi,

I always get confused about the installation of these mods. Can't figure out where to place it. I have the DAW downloaded and installed into my MODS folder in both my documents and game but when I have it enabled in GME and try a new campaign, nothing shows. Sorry I always have a problem with this stuff, can't get my brain around it. Any help appreciated.
I don't use GME for the more comprehensive mods like this, so my method may not suit you, but here is what I do:

1. Create a new folder <Panzer Corps DAW> on your hard drive.
2. Copy the contents of the folder <Panzer Corps> (your main Panzer Corps folder), except for your <Panzer Corps\Mods> folder if you have one, to the new folder <Panzer Corps DAW>.
3. Copy the contents of folder <DAW2007\DAW> to the new folder <Panzer Corps DAW>, overwriting when asked.
4. Copy the folders <ALLIES39-45> <DAW36-37> <DAW39-41> <DAW41-43> <DAW44-46> from folder <DAW2007> to folder <My Games\Panzer Corps\Mods>.
5. Start the game using "PanzerCorps.exe" in the new <Panzer Corps DAW> folder (the DAW title screen should appear), select new game, choose "More campaigns" to find the mods.

This worked fine and I was able to play the mod. If you're short on hard disk space, you can always delete the folder <Panzer Corps DAW> when you are finished playing. Note that I keep a clean installation of Panzer Corps on my hard drive (I have lots of space) which I use only for copying to a new mod folder, <Panzer Corps DAW> in this instance. So on my hard drive, I have a clean Panzer Corps installation which I never add anything to, and a separate one for DAW, Battlefield Europe, Modern Conflicts, Eastern Front - Soviet Storm and so on.

Hope this helps :?
demyansk
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by demyansk »

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, I will install it this way. I did open up the 1939 campaign in the game and the units showed up. I probably have something messed up in the files. When I start the game I never have the DAW screen come up.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Bummer,

I tried all this and created a new folder on my desktop, I have all the campaigns in the user made section but I never get the DAW screen to come up. Not sure of what the problem is but I am going to start again in 1936 to see if the same problem exists, I click on the exe file within the new folder and I get the panzer corps gold edition start up screen.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I also did a copy and paste of the files into my empty mods folder and it still shows the main screen. interesting.
eskuche
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by eskuche »

Your base PC files may be modified. Uninstall and reinstall is the easiest way.
Sonja89_1

Post by Sonja89_1 »

demyansk wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:05 am Hi, thanks for the suggestion, I will install it this way. I did open up the 1939 campaign in the game and the units showed up. I probably have something messed up in the files. When I start the game I never have the DAW screen come up.
If the blue DAW screen with the menu is not visible, something is clearly wrong. From your descriptions I conclude that you had placed the campaign data, which is why it worked in parts at times. But the actual MOD files were missing.

Again - download the very detailed PDF installation file (front - on the first page of this thread). May I ask where you are from? What is your mother tongue? First translate the text piece by piece into your language and make sure you understand everything clearly. Then go through all the steps slowly and calmly (either variant with JSGME or without JSGME). In your case, I would rather recommend the safer variant without JSGME. Only when you have positioned all files as described, start Panzer Corps and begin the campaign 36-37 again.

If you proceed calmly and with concentration, it can be mastered well even by inexperienced people. So you can do it - don't lose heart.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I have this game on my desktop and not installed through Steam. I have done a few mods before but something is wrong over the years most likely. I can try to reinstall everything again but I thought I had it correct when I created a new folder on the desktop, transferred the game files into that without the mods and then introduced the daw2007 into the folder. I just started the daw 1939 but didn’t get the opening screen. I’ll get this sucker to work correctly., nice work

By the way, does matrix/slitherine have the entire program for install in one batch. The last time I did this I had to download the entire game in like ten different sections.

UPDATE, I read the directions again and i got it to work. The GME had the DAW2007 folder instead of just the DAW folder, started the game up and came up with the MOD screen, thanks for helping and making these mods
rubyjuno

Post by rubyjuno »

demyansk wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:42 pm UPDATE, I read the directions again and i got it to work. The GME had the DAW2007 folder instead of just the DAW folder, started the game up and came up with the MOD screen, thanks for helping and making these mods
Great news! Well done 8)
LarsGert
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by LarsGert »

Very good mod! I love! Only now I have a huge request: could the developer of this wonderful game add such a unit as the Ju-52 "Minesweeper"? A very useful aircraft, it destroys mines from the air. It is in the PAK mod, but I would like to see it in the DAW. He is really needed! Please add it!

P.S. Will there be updates for this mod? Maybe some other units... Something that the developer would like to add, but could not, did not have time in the previous release.
Sonja89_1

Post by Sonja89_1 »

LarsGert wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:49 am Very good mod! I love! Only now I have a huge request: could the developer of this wonderful game add such a unit as the Ju-52 "Minesweeper"? A very useful aircraft, it destroys mines from the air. It is in the PAK mod, but I would like to see it in the DAW. He is really needed! Please add it!

P.S. Will there be updates for this mod? Maybe some other units... Something that the developer would like to add, but could not, did not have time in the previous release.
I am very happy that you enjoy my modification. I made the DAW mod from 2016-2020 over several years. DAW 20-07 from summer 2020 is the final version. At the moment I am still busy with the final production of D2R, which traces the German Wars of Unification (1864-71) and World War 1 in detail.

At the moment I have no firm plans for a follow-up to DAW. However, I will make a note of your advice and take it into account as far as possible if a new edition is to be published.

Until then, I can only refer you to the maritime minesweepers. I have usually included minesweepers in scenarios with sea mines. I would like to point out again that river boats and minesweepers are integrated into one figure in DAW. This can easily be overlooked at the beginning. In the third scenario, "Dresden", the player even receives such a unit in addition to his core units. With these minesweepers/riverboats, a minefield figure can be cleared without loss in one turn. In this way, the minefields are still annoying, but surmountable.
LarsGert

Post by LarsGert »

Sonja89_1 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:42 pm
LarsGert wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:49 am Very good mod! I love! Only now I have a huge request: could the developer of this wonderful game add such a unit as the Ju-52 "Minesweeper"? A very useful aircraft, it destroys mines from the air. It is in the PAK mod, but I would like to see it in the DAW. He is really needed! Please add it!

I am very happy that you enjoy my modification. I made the DAW mod from 2016-2020 over several years. DAW 20-07 from summer 2020 is the final version. At the moment I am still busy with the final production of D2R, which traces the German Wars of Unification (1864-71) and World War 1 in detail.

At the moment I have no firm plans for a follow-up to DAW. However, I will make a note of your advice and take it into account as far as possible if a new edition is to be published.

Until then, I can only refer you to the maritime minesweepers. I have usually included minesweepers in scenarios with sea mines. I would like to point out again that river boats and minesweepers are integrated into one figure in DAW. This can easily be overlooked at the beginning. In the third scenario, "Dresden", the player even receives such a unit in addition to his core units. With these minesweepers/riverboats, a minefield figure can be cleared without loss in one turn. In this way, the minefields are still annoying, but surmountable.
Thank you very much!
Sonja89_1

Post by Sonja89_1 »

After a long time, I am once again giving a short insight into a scenario of the fourth and last campaign. It is the 16th scenario "Trondheim" about the Norway Path. The mission is set in September 1945 and is the penultimate mission in Norway.

Trondheim.jpg
Trondheim.jpg (440.81 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
Central Norway can be seen on the overview map. The own forces are advancing towards Trondheim and later Namsos, while counter-manoeuvres by the US fleet are to be expected. The US forces also have landing forces up their sleeves. So one cannot proceed northwards completely carefree.

DAW-Bes3-12-18.jpg
DAW-Bes3-12-18.jpg (1008.86 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
Turn 3 - During the advance to the north, the own troops reach the rivers Orkla and Gula (1). At this point a massive British air strike takes place (2). As our troops are well covered with flak (3), the counterattack breaks up with almost no own losses. Our planes wait in the background for the moment when the British air forces are sufficiently weakened by our flak to then attack them(4). Especially at the beginning of the scenarios, it is worthwhile to make sure that the flak coverage is as complete as possible, since the AI usually uses its own planes very aggressively. The approach I practised here is somewhat similar to Spanish tercios from the 16th or 17th century against enemy cavalry.

DAW-Bes6-12-18.jpg
DAW-Bes6-12-18.jpg (1000.86 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
Turn 6 - The place Stören was taken and two small bridgeheads over the Gula were won (1). Trondheim is already in sight. In the previous turn it had rained, which is why my own bombers fly around so freely and I took the opportunity to park planes over otherwise covered territory, since enemy flak is no danger for a short time (2). I was even lucky enough to position a level bomber over the 'Colorado'. In the Trondheim Fjord there are various US ships (3).
Sonja89_1

Post by Sonja89_1 »

DAW-Bes13-12-18.jpg
DAW-Bes13-12-18.jpg (977.55 KiB) Viewed 3202 times
Turn 13 - Trondheim has been captured and the British units there have been routed. The advance northwards continues (1). Meanwhile, many of the US ships in the Trondheim Fjord were sunk. The US heavy cruiser 'Augusta' is still off the harbour. At the entrance to the fjord, some submarines were taken out by our planes. Especially the coastal planes (Arado 196 + He 115) are good for submarine hunting here (2). However, further US landings must be expected, from ships that are not yet visible in the picture (3). Enemy forces are also still present on offshore islands (4).

DAW-Bes20-12-18.jpg
DAW-Bes20-12-18.jpg (927.32 KiB) Viewed 3202 times
Turn 20 - After taking Steinkjer, we can move further north (1) to encompass Namsos to the east and liberate the still occupied peninsula to the west (2). Our navy also finally appears. Here, U2511 starts to shoot the heavy US cruiser 'Chicago' (3). To prevent our own submarine from becoming the hunted, our level bombers attack the enemy destroyers as a priority (4).
rubyjuno

Post by rubyjuno »

Great work, fascinating as always.
Sonja89_1

Post by Sonja89_1 »

Here I have some more screens for the Allies Campaign, which has been part of the DAW mod since 2020. I have not yet presented these images in this forum. I want to make up for this here.

Allies-Sz1-Polen2.jpg
Allies-Sz1-Polen2.jpg (962.41 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
The first picture shows the 1st mission "Poland" as most players already know it (for the most part). It is the starting mission from the basic campaign, which is usually only seen from the German side. Some units that are included in the DAW mod have also been incorporated here (see small arrows).
No core units are available for purchase in the first scenario. It consists entirely of Polish Aux troops. Nevertheless, as in the 3rd and 4th DAW campaign, the Aux units can be taken from mission to mission. For this purpose, escape fields (evacuation fields) are built into each map.
I have not made any other changes to the maps themselves due to time constraints. Although this is a pity for some maps, it would increase the effort considerably, which I have avoided here.

Allies-Sz2-Norwegen.jpg
Allies-Sz2-Norwegen.jpg (986.8 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
The second mission, "Norway", is a map that I would prefer to change, as it shows the "head" of Scandinavia a little too narrow. I have also added more units here. Not only on the Allied side, by the way, but also on the enemy side.
At the start of the mission, you can already see that you can deploy not only British units, but also French units. This allows you to buy both Foreign Legionnaires and Somua tanks into your core force. If you want, you can also use Nepalese Gurkhas or Scottish Highlanders.
You can also see that I was able to evacuate four Aux units in the first mission "Poland". You can now sell these and generate some prestige, or use them in the following missions. Aircraft are particularly suitable for further use, as they can be removed from the map relatively quickly via the escape field at the end of the scenario. Here, for example, is the Polish level bomber PZL 37 Los, which is still completely inexperienced. We meet him again later.
Sonja89_1

Post by Sonja89_1 »

Allies-Sz3-Benelux.jpg
Allies-Sz3-Benelux.jpg (973.79 KiB) Viewed 2546 times
The third scenario takes you to Belgium (Low Countries). The aim here is to slow down the German advance and later evacuate British units. Here, too, there are some new Aux troops, especially on the upper edge of the map north-west of Maastricht with a number of Dutch aircraft. The two Belgian T 13x tank destroyers were unfortunately smashed during my mission. They sacrificed themselves heroically.

Allies-Sz7-Barbarossa.jpg
Allies-Sz7-Barbarossa.jpg (826.83 KiB) Viewed 2546 times
The next picture shows a scene from 'Barbarossa'. For those who remember, this map has a pronounced width (east-west layout), but is not very high. This makes it easier for the allied side to mount a defensive mission. In the south-west you can still see parts of the Pripyet Swamp with two of your own partisan groups hiding there, only to come into action later (1). Essentially, I have taken my line back to the Berezina, which can be defended well and with little effort here. A small, cheeky Belgian tank destroyer, which I still have with the troops as an Aux unit from 1940, took back Bobruisk in a counterattack and shortly before that eliminated a badly battered enemy elite armoured unit (2).
Sonja89_1

Post by Sonja89_1 »

Allies-Sz8-Kiew.jpg
Allies-Sz8-Kiew.jpg (872.56 KiB) Viewed 2542 times
Here you can see the situation in the 'Kiev' scenario, shortly after the fall of the Ukrainian metropolis, which I have left almost undefended. Enemy assault points are storming towards my troops from the north and south. The anti-aircraft gun (1), which has no means of transport, can no longer be saved. The enemy armoured train (2), which can switch from anti-aircraft to anti-tank defence and has strong firepower, is also proving to be very dangerous. Among others, 3 elite armoured groups are approaching from Kiev, which have already suffered a little (3). My two Churchill tanks cover my retreat. These are also Aux units that I have taken over from 1940 to here. Originally they were Cruiser IVs, which I upgraded to Churchill tanks. It can also be worthwhile to level up your Aux troops. The Churchills can still be used well in the later version (IV) up to 1945, especially in defence.

Allies-Sz9-Moskau.jpg
Allies-Sz9-Moskau.jpg (871.59 KiB) Viewed 2542 times
This picture shows the mission 'Moscow'. German troops have taken Kalinin and are advancing from the north-west towards Moscow (1). I have particularly French units deployed in the area. There are also two Belgian artillery units (2). Overall, my composition is extremely diverse.
However, as I have already explained, the player is free to choose whether to act with ahistorically thrown together troops (as I did here) or whether to rely entirely on Russian troops on the eastern path, for example. It is also possible to spend the entire war on one side (west or east), or to switch sides at the end of each year.

Allies-Sz19a-Cobra.jpg
Allies-Sz19a-Cobra.jpg (824.27 KiB) Viewed 2542 times
This last picture shows the beginning of the 19th mission (West Path) "Cobra" in Normandy. This means a jump to July/August 1944, where we also encounter some familiar units from the beginning. Firstly, three of the Dutch airmen from the third mission. Among them are even the fighter pilots with the Fokker DXXI, now much more experienced. Even these supposedly weaker, older models can still be effective in combat if they are used according to their capabilities and not overtaxed.
The Polish level bomber from the first mission, in particular, performed excellently in action and even in the summer of 1944, now with 5 stars and full overstrength, can still be used to good effect.
But ground troops can also remain in action for longer. A British armoured unit from the third mission (upgraded from a cruiser to a Churchill (red arrow)) is still here. French, British, American and Soviet aux-units have the advantage that upgrades are available for them. For French fighters in particular, it is also worth using Prestige for Aux units for modernisations.

Additional units from the DAW part are included in all scenarios and this alone gives the campaign a new, different feel to the originals. In particular, the sometimes overpowered units from the AMULET part make the opposing German side a serious opponent. As this in itself is a significant complication compared to the actual DAW campaigns, which are played on the German side, I have refrained from assigning hero figures to the German units in this Allied campaign. There are also hardly any enemy troops with overstrength points (11 or more). It's tricky enough as it is when you have to fight the enemy's camouflaged light anti-aircraft guns or camouflaged Sturmgeschütz.
In any case, the game in this form was a real eye-opener for me. Playing the Allied side is a somewhat different challenge. Although I played through the second test run on 'Rommel' difficulty to see if there was enough prestige available in each case, you shouldn't assume that it's an easy thing.

Finally, Happy New Year 2024 to all forum visitors here at Panzer Corps!
rubyjuno

Post by rubyjuno »

Thank you, Sonja, and a Happy New Year to you also.
HHT1
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by HHT1 »

Hallo zusammen.
Ich wünsche allen Kameraden und natürlich auch Kameradinnen einen Guten Rutsch und alles Gute im Neuen Jahr.
Bleibt alle schön gesund.

Grüße
Hans
eskuche

Post by eskuche »

Happy new year! Interesting that you actually keep around the auxiliary units. I almost always cash them in for prestige, at at the very most use them as AA/tank bait :)

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”