empty buildings contest

Moderators: hammy, philqw78, terrys, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

KeefM
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

empty buildings contest

Post by KeefM »

Situation: opposing units both in contact with a building but on opposite sides of the building. In the active player's move he successfully takes a CMT to enter/defend the building.

What happens ?

Does the active unit move into and defend the building per the successful CMT ?

Is it an assault move to do so simply on the basis that the two units are now in contact ?

Or does the opposing unit get moved back a smidgeon to show they aren't in contact ?

If it is an assault, what happens with a charge response? Does the unit outside the building shoot (presumably at 5's to hit) at the assaulter ? And if the assaulter takes hits and doesn't close for whatever reason, are they bumped back out of the building ?

What happens if the assaulter loses any ensuing mêlée ?

It seems to me that the easiest solution is that it isn't an assault/charge and that the two units are deemed not to be in contact ... whaddya reckon ??
richafricanus
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: empty buildings contest

Post by richafricanus »

Makes most sense to assume they are nominally not in contact until unit outside declares an assault and then treat it as a normal building assault. I wouldn't physically move anyone back, even a smidgeon (is that a real word??).
pugsville
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by pugsville »

Covered in the Building FAQ.

"An enemy unit in contact with, but outside, a building does not prohibit a unit from moving or changing to defending it. The enemy are not ‘in’ the building therefore cannot stop a unit from occupying or defending it. If this occurs the enemy unit outside the building be moved back ½ MU to make it clear."
deadtorius
Field Marshal - Me 410A
Field Marshal - Me 410A

Post by deadtorius »

looks like the winning response is the lucky unit that passed their CMT get into the building and get to snub their noses and taunt their slower and less lucky with CMT's enemy from the safety of being within the building.
richafricanus

Post by richafricanus »

Seems clear. Of course, moving back 1/2 MU seems simple, but what if they are blocked? That opens up a whole new can of worms. The less units need to move or adjust in wargames rules, the simpler it is.
deadtorius
Field Marshal - Me 410A
Field Marshal - Me 410A

Post by deadtorius »

I guess if blocked they move back as far as possible, try to end not touching the building thats all. You would have to charge it regardless to try and kick your quick footed sneaky opponent out.

Return to “Rules Questions”