wargamers to real war

Moderator: Slitherine Core

colleen88
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

wargamers to real war

Post by colleen88 »

just a thought, if you are good in strategies and decision making in wargames,maybe a wargame master, do you see that it would help if you are in command for the real war?
Galangalad
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: wargamers to real war

Post by Galangalad »

We wargamers always fight real wars...
MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by MrsWargamer »

I've been in uniform.

It would depend entirely on the specific game being commented on.

Some games teach you nothing about real warfare and provide only entertainment (which is often all they were meant to do).
I CAN be reached
email me at sukunai.ni.yori@hotmail.com
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

colleen88 wrote:just a thought, if you are good in strategies and decision making in wargames,maybe a wargame master, do you see that it would help if you are in command for the real war?
No
best75
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by best75 »

What scale of command do you mean?
I would mostly say no
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Been thinking of this thread.

Maybe 50 years ago some of our wargame designs might have had some utility value in training. But today's battlefield is dominated by real time communications technology in such density right down to the individual soldier level, and the political apparatus can be so completely involved with decision making, that any wargame of the 20th century would probably have next to no value whatsoever in the running of military operations in the field.

The only 'games' likely to be of merit are actually the more boringly accurate, less graphically amusing, intense simulations that are often real military training software that is then released to the commercial environment as a gaming product.

Even considerably detailed designs like War in the Pacific would teach nothing of relevance in today's military reality. Different times, and different conditions.
I CAN be reached
guardsman
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by guardsman »

Having been there in the name of everything you consider holy no. These are games for relaxation, enjoyment and fun. The real world hurts I mean it really really hurts. :(
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

I dont think the average gamer has the mental of physical endurance to survive on the battlefield....let alone lead Soldiers.
captkiwi
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by captkiwi »

I agree with guardsman. Wargames are for enjoyment and a pastime. Losing a battalion or two in a wargame means nothing but injuring your pride, but if you were a real General leading real men you could possibly suffer many anxiety attacks. Mind you, history has proven that some Generals couldn't care less about their troops. ( Hitler & Stalin come to mind). This is my two cents worth.... :D
redeyedjedi
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by redeyedjedi »

colleen88 wrote:just a thought, if you are good in strategies and decision making in wargames,maybe a wargame master, do you see that it would help if you are in command for the real war?
A very naive/immature question. Real war is an awful, terrible thing. Not something to be compared to a video game played in the comfort of your own home.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

MikeAP wrote:I dont think the average gamer has the mental of physical endurance to survive on the battlefield....let alone lead Soldiers.
Well actually, I have no numbers, but, I DO know of a great many gamers who are also veterans.

I don't thinking playing games makes you trained for combat, but, it is possible you think the only people playing games are kids and basement dwellers :)
I CAN be reached
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

MrsWargamer wrote:I've been in uniform.
so have i, but does a nurses uniform count?

and then i didn't have high heels on either, but pink wig was nice, shame i had to give it back :roll: :wink:

jk
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

MrsWargamer wrote:
MikeAP wrote:I dont think the average gamer has the mental of physical endurance to survive on the battlefield....let alone lead Soldiers.
Well actually, I have no numbers, but, I DO know of a great many gamers who are also veterans.

I don't thinking playing games makes you trained for combat, but, it is possible you think the only people playing games are kids and basement dwellers :)
I agree - there is probably a large group of service members who are also wargamers - myself included.

However, according to a study in 2010, over 75% of Americans are unfit to serve due to physical limitations (obesity being #1). I dont want to even get into the mental resiliency part - just look at the suicide epidemic that we are facing.

I'm going to stick with my original statement.

I do agree that wargames can be a good training tool for service members who have already proven themselves mentally/physically fit to serve - but there is no way it works the other way around.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Sadly the entry requirements for the Canadian Armed Forces have become similarly dreadful as well ie they have gotten stiff on the education requirement, but really appalling what they will allow for physical qualifications.

Zak, not sure how you meant that humour, were YOU a nurse?
I CAN be reached
ryanscoop
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by ryanscoop »

I think games are much different from wars in reality. Games are designed to imitate and partially display some aspects of the real wars. Therefore, games are only developed up to a certain scale. Commanders in real wars must suffer a lot of pressure, not only working on the strategy to fight.
generalgonzo
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by generalgonzo »

Classically the wargame is an invention from the prussion king backt to about 1812.
He built a table and put miniatures of soldiers, cannons and towns on it to replay wars.
Later on they used this to simulate wars as known until the 2nd WW, where Hitler had his own warroom.
So yes, I assume a bit more skilled will an experienced wargamer be in a real war scenario than a rookie.
Larac
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Larac »

Well learning to think, adapt, and act.

Are all things that a wargame can teach.

It will not make you prepared for combat, but it might help you come up to speed faster.

I do not find it strange Germany gives breaks to board game makers, and promotes family game nights.

As the more a person learns to think and solve problems the better they will be at unsupervised tasks.

Return to “General Discussion”