Help with some design issues needed please

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Rowan56
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Help with some design issues needed please

Post by Rowan56 »

I have been mucking around with some single games and I have run into a couple of things that I can't seem to figure out. Maybe you can help. If so thanks.

1. The enemy arrive at a zone and do nothing.
e.g. I have two fighters on a Zone 1 airfield. Enemy fighters arrive but don't shoot. The next enemy turn, they just hang out, no shooting. What am I missing please?

2. My airborne deploy onto a field but I can't trigger them to load onto a Ju 52. ? ? ?

3. At game start I have an Infantry company on a train but the train will not move. Period. Just mucking around and put an artillery train on the tracks, same; will not move.

Any help appreciated, a link to where this stuff might already be answered, same.
Thanks for your time.
:)
BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: Help with some design issues needed please

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

*1. I think that that is just the AI being very stupid.

*2. You probably haven't set up Ju52 transoprts. If Germany has been set as a definite Axis nation in the scenario, then open up Edit -> Scenario params -> Transports, then click one of the boxes under Axis. A scroll menu will come up, and you need to select "[Germany] Ju52". Do this, and then put a number in the box to the right of it, at least 1.

*3. Just because there is a picture of some railroads, it doesn't mean that the railroads are actually there. To set them up, select Edit -> Terrain Features, then select a black line. Then click on the hexes that you want to add railroads onto in order. Press the spacebar when this done, to make sure it is finished correctly. If not, then you can fix the errors.

- BNC (I remember facing problems 2 and 3 once myself, so be sure to pass the message on to someone else)
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak »

Regarding point one the AI may be as well set to some passive mode which means it doesn't attack on purpose. If it's not the case then maybe the odds of the attack are to bad for the AI and it doesn't want to risk an attack. But this is probably what BNC mean with "AI being very stupid". :P
Rowan56
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Rowan56 »

Thank you so much BiteNibbleChomp , Tarrak .
There is more then enough in your answers to work on; off to work I go.
nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd »

Rowan56 wrote:I have been mucking around with some single games and I have run into a couple of things that I can't seem to figure out. Maybe you can help. If so thanks.

1. The enemy arrive at a zone and do nothing.
e.g. I have two fighters on a Zone 1 airfield. Enemy fighters arrive but don't shoot. The next enemy turn, they just hang out, no shooting. What am I missing please?

2. My airborne deploy onto a field but I can't trigger them to load onto a Ju 52. ? ? ?

3. At game start I have an Infantry company on a train but the train will not move. Period. Just mucking around and put an artillery train on the tracks, same; will not move.

Any help appreciated, a link to where this stuff might already be answered, same.
Thanks for your time.
1) Does the enemy owns an airfield? Is the weather bad? Did you set those planes on passive? Do the planes have the correct flag and/or is the enemy's country defined in the nations tab?
2) Did you assign Ju 52 transports in the transports tab? Airborne units can only board a Ju 52 on an airfield (with your nation's flag) but can jump anywhere.
3) Is the railroad track correctly placed (edit->terrain features)? Did you assign railroad transport in the transports tab? Is railroad connecting at least two cities (trains can only be loaded/unloaded in city hexes)

Just my 2 cents.
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
Rowan56
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Rowan56 »

Thanks nikivdd, I'm checking it all out now. Where I'm up to is that I have the train moving, I put the track "picture" in but not the terrain feature. I think Tarrack has the answer with passive attack. I'll put some Spitfires up against the 109's. Bite nibblechomp has my transport sorted, I'll get back to all. Thanks heaps folks.
Rowan56
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Rowan56 »

Still playing around

1 answered
2 answered
3 answered

Thanks so much

4 Is there a default value for fuel and ammo when using the editor. For instance . . . .
A fighter on turn one has the yellow fuel symbol up,
An Artillery train, yellow ammo warning.

For realistic combat, to put it another way; how much fuel and ammo should a fully stocked unit have?
Thanks again for your time.

( Bit of trivia on my question One. Two Spitfires (AI) arrived where they were supposed to and shot the 109 to ribbons. Mission accomplished )

EDIT

4 is related to the opening.
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

Rowan56 wrote:Still playing around

1 answered
2 answered
3 answered

Thanks so much

4 Is there a default value for fuel and ammo when using the editor. For instance . . . .

For realistic combat, to put it another way; how much fuel and ammo should a fully stocked unit have?

( Bit of trivia on my question One. Two Spitfires (AI) arrived where they were supposed to and shot the 109 to ribbons. Mission accomplished )

EDIT

I'm glad questions 1-3 are succesfully solved :)
About question 4.
You can alter ammo/fuel of a unit like this: shift + left-click the unit, in certain cells of the pop-up that appeared you can enter values for ammo and fuel (also experience, strength and so on).
The red symbol will appear when you enter 0, the yellow symbol for fuel between 1 and (X-1) (X being the necessary amount of fuel to be be able to make a full move).
The normal amount of fuel/ammo of any stock unit can be checked in the equipment.pzdat file; you can find this file in \panzer corps\data folder.
Rowan56
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Rowan56 »

Thanks mate.
Unfortunately I don't know any thing about computers. Where do I go to find .pzdat?
Thanks for your time.
BiteNibbleChomp

Rowan56 wrote:Still playing around

1 answered
2 answered
3 answered

Thanks so much

EDIT

The yellow symbols appear:

Ammo - when there is only 1 remaining, regardless if 1 is the maximum.

Fuel:

Tanks and Trucks - when there is 5 fuel remaining (I think)
Aircraft - 12.

Hope this helps.

- BNC
Rowan56
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Rowan56 »

It does, thanks.

5 Going back to air, I have AA on a field and when the Spitfires (AI) arrive it doesn't fire. The AA is set det to defender, anything else one can do. One would think with enemy air in range the AA would let off a burst.

Thanks.
BiteNibbleChomp

Who owns the AA? If you own it, then it won't automatically fire just becuase an enemy is there.

If you have the Spitfire, then maybe set the AA to attacker?

If both the AA and Spit are on the same team, then it is pretty obvious why it won't fire.

- BNC
Rowan56
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Rowan56 »

Thanks.I own it. I just thought it would/could auto fire. (But it won't auto fire 'cause it not its turn. Slowly getting it :oops: )
Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak »

The AA will provide defensive fire if an enemy plane attacks the AA itself or any adjacent friendly unit. It won't fire tho if the enemy planes just fly over the hexes. You can of course use it to attack the plane in your turn.
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

Rowan56 wrote:It does, thanks.

5 Going back to air, I have AA on a field and when the Spitfires (AI) arrive it doesn't fire. The AA is set det to defender, anything else one can do. One would think with enemy air in range the AA would let off a burst.

Thanks.
Try with the AA unit on hold position (fire) = the unit will shoot if an enemy plane is in range (and in range of spotting) or hold position (active) = the unit will shoot if an enemy plane is in range (and in range of spotting) and will move if necessary to be in firing range of the enemy plane (towed AA can only move 1 hex per turn).
Rowan56
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Rowan56 »

Thanks Tarrak, I'll give it a go. Where do I go to find .pzdat please?
Akkula
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Akkula »

You can find them in the "Data" folder of your Panzer Corps installation route. Be sure to make a backup of each file you edit just in case.
Eastern Front: Soviet Storm (v1.96): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=50342
Modern Conflicts (v1.95): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=72062
Rowan56
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Rowan56 »

Thanks Akkula
Rowan56
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Rowan56 »

First, thanks again with your time and patience with my questions

4. answered
5. I am playing Germany. I have a tank and a Fallschimjager. In regard to transport, I give the Fallschimjager in Air/Sea/Rail transport a Ju 52 and the tank in Air/Sea/Rail transport a landing craft. In the opening they are on there hex deployed. So I have a tank in a field in a landing craft and a Fallschimjager in a Ju 52 already in the air. I wish the option of having them not on transport; if I want them on transport, I move them to a port or airfield.
Is this possible please?
Thank you, Rowan
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Normally paras will be deployed to air transports when available, but when you switch the map view to ground mode during deployment you can put them on ground hexes easily.

(This option was not available first but has been added in one of the recent patches)

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”