Easy questions on Roman army basing

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Grabula
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Easy questions on Roman army basing

Post by Grabula »

Ok, I"ve been spending the day putting together my essex roman army together, and I'm down to war machines, archers and auxilia. I'm assuming the Auxilia are light infantry? 4 to a base, on a 40x20mm base? How about the Archers? These are Eastern Auxilia archers from essex

By the way, I can never remember the periods of roman history but these guys are the classic lorica segmentata, supposed to be the VII Fulminata serving under Marcus Aurelius.

Finally, anyone know a manufacturer who does 15mm warmachine crews, as well as some of the special troops like centurions, signifers and all that? Right now everything I own is Essex.

Finally, I'm not really sure how to base my commanders, I'm putting one on a horse, the others on foot. According to the book, it says 40x40 or less, so whats the best way to go about it?
carlos
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by carlos »

Marcus Aurelius would be Principate Roman in FoG. Auxilia are either MF or HF depending on how you use them. If MF then 3 or 4 to a 40x20 stand, if HF then 4 to a 40x15 stand. The archers can function as MF (as above) or as LF, 2 to a 40x20 stand.
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Easy questions on Roman army basing

Post by nikgaukroger »

Grabula wrote:
Finally, I'm not really sure how to base my commanders, I'm putting one on a horse, the others on foot. According to the book, it says 40x40 or less, so whats the best way to go about it?
I'm putting all mine on 40x40 bases. I think they look good with a number of figures on, so you can have the commander, a body guard or two, standard bearer, floozie, or whatever on the base with him.

Return to “Modelling”