Steam code error 83?

Moderator: Pocus

alanrdas
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Steam code error 83?

Post by alanrdas » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:13 pm

Can someone help?

I just bought both Field of Glory 2 and Field of Glory: Empire for the princely sum of $65.55 CDN. The games don't seem work in the Steam environment. I wish Matrix had offered the Masters special for the same price via its own store. I would have purchased there without having to go through Steam.

Anyway, I re-installed the games and the Steam client twice. Checked the game cache and, download Crystaldisk utility software, just is case it was a hardware problem. But the disks are all good. The splash screen comes on both cases, but then I get a Steam "code error 83", Steam is not responding, and nothing happens and the splash screen stays open. My computer/software set-up has not changed other than normal updates as required.(in other words hardware/operating software baseline is the same)

I have a 64 bit system, running Win 10 Pro, with i7700K intel processor, nVidia GeForce GTX1060 w/6 GB, and 32 GB of ram. All software and drives are up to date. Trying to get Steam support is like trying to ask politicians not to tweet. No luck there...

Please help, I am frustrated beyond belief. I have many Matrix/Slitherine products I bought direct and never had a problem with starting them before. (TOAW, Armoured Brigade etc...)
Otherwise, I have will ask for a refund for both games as I can't seem to play them.

Many thanks for any advice and help.

Alan

HeinzHarald
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Steam code error 83?

Post by HeinzHarald » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:47 pm

My guess is you have some kind of security software running (such as anti-virus or firewall) that is blocking the games. Try disabling it or adding exceptions.

If that doesn't help you should try disabling as much stuff as possible that's running in the background, even if that happens to be something that seems helpful such as gaming enhancements.

zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Steam code error 83?

Post by zakblood » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:38 am

have you tried running steam and the game as admin?

Run the game as Administrator
Right click the game in your Steam Library.
Go to Properties then the Local Files tab.
Click Browse Local Files.
Locate the game executable (the application).
Right click it and go to Properties.
Click the Compatibility tab.
Check the Run this program as an administrator box.
Click Apply.

then to run steam always as admin

First, locate the actual executable file. Right click on the file and select Properties. In the Properties box, select the Compatibility tab and then check “Run this program as an administrator”. If you're only applying this change to your account go ahead and click OK.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires - Tech Support”