Komnenian Byzantine flock color?

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Trench_Raider
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Komnenian Byzantine flock color?

Post by Trench_Raider »

I'm finishing up a 800 point Komnenian Byzantine army in 15mm as we speak. I should be finished with the basic painting by the end of the weekend. However at this point I'm torn as to which of my flock mixtures to use. I have two basic mixture of basing flock that I utilize for most of my painting projects. One is a green turf blend mix with a large amount of balast/pebbles. The other is more or less identical, but with the turf being tan/sand/desert type stuff.

Which of these would be more apropriate for the Byzantines from a historical stand point? Which in your opinion would be better suited to making this fairly colorful army stand out and would accent it's colors?

TR
NicktheLemming
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by NicktheLemming »

How about mixing a bit of each flock on the base? ;)

What figures did you use for them, by the way?
Trench_Raider
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Trench_Raider »

Eh...mixing both flocks on the bases might look a bit odd.

As to what I'm using, it's a mixture of figures i had lying about when the "S&S" book hit the stands. I'm using Essex, Museum Miniatures, and Tin Soldier. The Essex and Museum mix decently, but as you probably know the Tin Soldier are bigger and chunkier than other brands. Thus they don't mix well. However if you segregate them in their own units they look ok. Most of my cavalry, the spear unit and the protected bows are Essex, the latinicon are all Museum (who make some of the best knights around in my opinion), and one of the bow units, the varangians, and one of the scythicon units are all Tin Soldier.

TR
lawrenceg
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: Komnenian Byzantine flock color?

Post by lawrenceg »

Trench_Raider wrote:I'm finishing up a 800 point Komnenian Byzantine army in 15mm as we speak. I should be finished with the basic painting by the end of the weekend. However at this point I'm torn as to which of my flock mixtures to use. I have two basic mixture of basing flock that I utilize for most of my painting projects. One is a green turf blend mix with a large amount of balast/pebbles. The other is more or less identical, but with the turf being tan/sand/desert type stuff.

Which of these would be more apropriate for the Byzantines from a historical stand point? Which in your opinion would be better suited to making this fairly colorful army stand out and would accent it's colors?

TR
If your flock has a large amount of pebbles in it then it is representative of a semi-arid area. Areas with more rainfall would have more soil and hence greater coverage with grass. If you think they went campaigning in the spring, use the green. To represent a summer campaign, use the dry grass colour.

To see which looks better, do some tests, but if they are dense or bright colours then I suspect the green will look better. If they are more pastel shades, washed-out, dusty or faded by the sun then probably the sand would look better.
Lawrence Greaves

Return to “Modelling”