Feudal Spear/Crossbowmen

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Hochmeister
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Feudal Spear/Crossbowmen

Post by Hochmeister » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:07 pm

I'm in the planning stages to build a 15mm early Teutonic Knight army. I pretty much have all the mounted models pegged down but am still sourcing miniatures to use for spear and crossbowmen. I've looked at Essex and will cherry-pick a few from there. Can anybody suggest another manufacturer that makes decent kettle-helmed (or same period helmed) spear/x-bowmen? Thanx for any help.

peterrjohnston
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Feudal Spear/Crossbowmen

Post by peterrjohnston » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:33 am

Hochmeister wrote:I'm in the planning stages to build a 15mm early Teutonic Knight army. I pretty much have all the mounted models pegged down but am still sourcing miniatures to use for spear and crossbowmen. I've looked at Essex and will cherry-pick a few from there. Can anybody suggest another manufacturer that makes decent kettle-helmed (or same period helmed) spear/x-bowmen? Thanx for any help.
Mirliton have a Italian Communal range (13th/14th century), most of the infantry have kettle helmets. They are slightly taller than Essex, IIRC. Weapons and shields separate. They also have a range of Teutonic knights (Northern Crusades) if you haven't looked at them.

Direct: http://www.mirliton.it
UK: http://www.vexillia.ltd.uk

Rgds,
Peter

Hochmeister

Post by Hochmeister » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:59 am

Mirliton was the company I did choose for the horse elements of my army. Awesome models. I didn't realize they had weapon options for the IC infantry so now they'd be a good choice as well. I was also looking at some Black Hat spearman and am wondering how they stack-up size-wise to Mirliton figs?

peterrjohnston
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by peterrjohnston » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:54 am

Hochmeister wrote:Mirliton was the company I did choose for the horse elements of my army. Awesome models. I didn't realize they had weapon options for the IC infantry so now they'd be a good choice as well. I was also looking at some Black Hat spearman and am wondering how they stack-up size-wise to Mirliton figs?
I don't have any of the Black Hat figures (old Gladiator range, was an even older Metal Magic range!). But this site

http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~kuijt/miscel ... eview.html (see Gladiator, obviously)

has a some comments and pictures of figures from the FE range. It says the FE range is true 15mm, and as Mirliton* foot are generally slightly taller than Essex, I suspect the difference would be noticeable.

* They are standing-up straight, rather than the vitamin-D deficiency pose some manufacturers seem to go for! :)

Rgds,
Peter

madaxeman
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by madaxeman » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:17 pm

I have just added a page to my site with details and comparisons of lots of 15mm manufacturers, which might be useful.

I don;t think the styles of Black hat and Mirliton will really work together that well - never mind the size

Tim
www.madaxeman.com

Mirliton

Black Hat
http://www.madaxeman.com
Become a fan of Madaxeman on Facebook at Madaxeman.com's Facebook Page.

Hochmeister

Post by Hochmeister » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:05 am

Mirliton is looking the better bet to me now. Those infantry packs will do nicely. There's also a Teutonic foot command pack and some dimounted knights that will add a little variety to the mix. Much obliged for all the help guys.

Return to “Modelling”