Burgundian basing

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

stingray
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Burgundian basing

Post by stingray » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:09 am

Hi. this is really a q about the mixed voulge/ pikeman bases used by the Ordonnance armies. Did the Voulge chaps deploy in the front of each base or behind the pikeman? or does it not matter?

Regards,

Steve R

stingray

Post by stingray » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:55 pm

I take it this means people either don't know or don't care. Either way, I can base them up as I like :D

andy63
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by andy63 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:00 pm

Hi Stingray,
I dont think its people who dont care its proberly they just have not got round to you with an answer,but i will give one for you.
It says in the Troop notes under the Ordennance Burgundian army list : The Ordonnance of 1473 specifies a mixed formation for pikemen and longbowmen. the pikemen were to advance in front of the archers so that the archers could fire over them as if over a wall. this formation was used by at least part of the foot at the battle of grandson. A woodcut shows a unit of roughly equal numbers of archers and pike/voulge armed men behind a row of stakes. accordingly ordonnance pikemen and lowbowmen can be deployed in mixed battle groups of 6 bases, with a front rank of pikemen (counting as defensive spearmen) and rear rank of longbowmen.

Hope that helps andy. :D

Ironhand
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Ironhand » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:32 pm

For game purposes, any voulgiers are counted in with the pikemen, so it's just the one troop type and base. If you wish you could put a figure with a voulge on the base along with 3 pikemen. You can deploy them as unit of 8 pike bases, or as andy said, mixed units of 3 pike and 3 longbow bases.

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:49 pm

Ironhand wrote:For game purposes, any voulgiers are counted in with the pikemen, so it's just the one troop type and base. If you wish you could put a figure with a voulge on the base along with 3 pikemen. You can deploy them as unit of 8 pike bases, or as andy said, mixed units of 3 pike and 3 longbow bases.
Yup, that sounds OK.

FWIW my Swiss pike have a few halberdiers in the middle of some of the bases. It's historical and it meant I could get more bases of pike with the figures I had available.

stingray

Post by stingray » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:40 pm

Yes, I was going to put the voulgiers and pike on the same base. I was just wondering whether the voulgiers would stand in front of or behind the pikemen...

Return to “Modelling”