FoG army deals anywhere?

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Grabula
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

FoG army deals anywhere?

Post by Grabula » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:32 pm

I'm looking at getting people interested in my area by promoting an 'Immortal Fire' army buildup over the next couple of months. I figure I'd lead by example by building an FoG legal greek city states army and was wodnering if there's anyone out there doing easy to purchase army deals for the system? My historical-fu is week so it would be easier to go this route instead of having to figure it all out myself lol.

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:41 pm

At the moment I am not aware of anyone doing such packs although I would expect them to be available soon. To get an army pack for a suplement that is not out yet could be difficult.

What scale are you looking at and how many points?

Grabula

Post by Grabula » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:46 pm

While I'm doing my WOTR in 10mm and the basing slightly different, this army I plan to do according to the FoG guidelines to keep things simple so I'm going with 15mm. As for points, 800 pts sounds standard for tourneys so I'd probably want about 1K in troops to give myself some flexibility.

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:01 pm

OK,

Here is a Greek list that I was intending using in a comp last year but ended up lending to another player and using my Swiss instead. I think he did better than I did in the comp and I had played before :oops:

The army was a pre 460BC Thessalian

FC, TC, TC
1 BG 4 LH
9 BGs 6 Armoured hoplites
1 BG 6 Thracians (not the ones with Romphia)
1 BG 6 LF archers
2 BG 6 LF Slingers
4 BG 6 LF Javelinmen

In terms of figures that would be:

8 Light cavalry
216 !! Hoplites, ideally with 9 command and 9 standard or musicians
18 Thracian peltasts actually 24 would be more sense and give more options
24 Slingers
12 Light archers (not Cretans, they appear later)
48 Light javelinmen
3 generals and a few assorted figures to make the generals look less lonely

If you want a few more options get perhaps 12 or 18 real cavalry figures rather than light horsemen and more hoplites.

For a Classical Greek army you can never have too many hoplites.

Grabula

Post by Grabula » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:20 pm

good god, how many points is that?

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:25 pm

Grabula wrote:good god, how many points is that?

kustenjaeger
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by kustenjaeger » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:47 pm

Greetings
hammy wrote: 216 !! Hoplites, ideally with 9 command and 9 standard or musicians
For a Classical Greek army you can never have too many hoplites.
No standards in a Classical Greek army - musicians if anything. You're right about never having enough hoplites, though. Must paint some of mine though

Regards
Edward

kustenjaeger

Post by kustenjaeger » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:53 pm

Greetings

I think that Black Cat is doing some starter army packs. Look at http://blackhat.co.uk/

Regards
Edward

andy63
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by andy63 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:47 pm

Hammy wrote:

Here is a Greek list that I was intending using in a comp last year but ended up lending to another player and using my Swiss instead. I think he did better than I did in the comp and I had played before :cry:

Thanks for lending me those Greeks Hammy and you was right i did pretty good with them (Has it was my very first FOG games) What made my Weekend was beating Si Hall Classical Indians :shock: (Though i think he was being gentle with me :) ) But that game truly nailed it for me that FOG was way i wanted to go.
Lets hope there is plenty more opportunity to beat Si :lol:

Andy.

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:22 pm

andy63 wrote:Hammy wrote:

Here is a Greek list that I was intending using in a comp last year but ended up lending to another player and using my Swiss instead. I think he did better than I did in the comp and I had played before :cry:

Thanks for lending me those Greeks Hammy and you was right i did pretty good with them (Has it was my very first FOG games) What made my Weekend was beating Si Hall Classical Indians :shock: (Though i think he was being gentle with me :) ) But that game truly nailed it for me that FOG was way i wanted to go.
Lets hope there is plenty more opportunity to beat Si :lol:

Andy.
No problem Andy, you also neglected to point out that in your game with Si you played your hoplites as protected when they were armoured so were actually playing with over 100 points missing from your army.....

andy63
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by andy63 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:21 pm

No problem Andy, you also neglected to point out that in your game with Si you played your hoplites as protected when they were armoured so were actually playing with over 100 points missing from your army.....

I remember it well but did not want to rub it in on Si to much :lol:
Andy.

kustenjaeger

Post by kustenjaeger » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:30 pm

Greetings

I just looked at my list of Classical figures and realised I have 401 hoplites :roll: - all of which need painting (some are undercoated and some are part painted).

Regards
Edward

marshalney2000
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by marshalney2000 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:19 pm

I seem to note that Battle Honours UK are putting togehter 15mm FOG armies for release shortly.
John

karakhanid
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by karakhanid » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:32 pm

I just looked at my list of Classical figures and realised I have 401 hoplites - all of which need painting (some are undercoated and some are part painted).
You will need some inspiration

He could extract 102 tons of coal in a day, you can paint your army before inmmortal fire is out. :wink:
Mikel

GHGAustin
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by GHGAustin » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:40 pm

I conversed with Richard at Magister Militum and he is putting together 15mm armies for FoG. If you drop him a line, he might be able to let you know more.
Rob Smith
Great Hall Games
Austin, TX
www.greathallminis.com

madaxeman
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: FoG army deals anywhere?

Post by madaxeman » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:56 pm

Grabula wrote:I'm looking at getting people interested in my area by promoting an 'Immortal Fire' army buildup over the next couple of months. I figure I'd lead by example by building an FoG legal greek city states army and was wodnering if there's anyone out there doing easy to purchase army deals for the system? My historical-fu is week so it would be easier to go this route instead of having to figure it all out myself lol.
You can always increase your "historical-fu" (fantastic phrase!!) by doing some research on the "actual" armies... there is more to wargaming than Osprey piccies and the FoG lists :-)

This links to my UK listing of books on all the armies in the Immoral Fire (sic) army list book :oops:

tim
http://www.madaxeman.com
Become a fan of Madaxeman on Facebook at Madaxeman.com's Facebook Page.

Grabula

Post by Grabula » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:34 pm

lol, I am, but it's slow going, I have my favorite periods I'm looking into 'now' but that sort of thing can go on forever! Ancient Greece is high on my list though!

Ninthplain
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Old Glory army deals

Post by Ninthplain » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:28 pm

I just came back from a local Con here and Old Glory was there. They are putting together FoG army deals from the first books.

I looked at the notebook and they have the base army and then you can add he extra's you wanted to use.

One of my friends that was there took them up on it for the Macedonean list.

The guy there said it was on there website with the list and prices.

Ironhand

Post by Ironhand » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:07 pm

Old Glory 15s has done Starter Army packs for all the armies in Rise of Rome and Storm of Arrows. I've got Mid-Republican Romans and Later Carthaginians on the way.

Return to “Modelling”