A question about trading

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

vova7let
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

A question about trading

Post by vova7let » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:24 pm

So eventually I have started to read manual and there I have found some nice explanations, but now I am a bit confused:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (401.52 KiB) Viewed 484 times
If I have a Ranch (produces cattle) and a Smokehouse (needs cattle) in the same region I just do not pay for the cattle, right? But if I have a Ranch two regions away from a region with a Smokehouse (and those 2 regions are inside my empire), in such case: will I get 2 money surplus (region with a Smokehouse pays 2 and region with Cattle gets 4), PROFIT?
Thank you in advnce

jnpoint
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: A question about trading

Post by jnpoint » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:27 pm

I understand it this way: If you have a building that gives you 6 gold 'income' because you have cattle in your region or in the neighbor region, then you only get 3 gold, if the cattle is more than 1 provins away and that region is also yours, and if the cattle is outside your border you get 0 gold 'income' from that building.
I might be wrong, but this seems to be more logic, if it is true.

ledo
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ledo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:41 am

vova7let wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:24 pm
So eventually I have started to read manual and there I have found some nice explanations, but now I am a bit confused:
If I have a Ranch (produces cattle) and a Smokehouse (needs cattle) in the same region I just do not pay for the cattle, right? But if I have a Ranch two regions away from a region with a Smokehouse (and those 2 regions are inside my empire), in such case: will I get 2 money surplus (region with a Smokehouse pays 2 and region with Cattle gets 4), PROFIT?
Thank you in advnce
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but yes you do make a profit from internal regional trade because your receiving province only pays half price.

vova7let

Post by vova7let » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:50 am

ledo wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:41 am
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but yes you do make a profit from internal regional trade because your receiving province only pays half price.
I am asking: is it better to build Ranch and Smokehouse in the same region or Smokehouse and Ranch should be in different regions (of course inside your empire and trade range)? In my opinion second is better, because you are getting bonus - half a price of trade good per turn, am I right?

ledo
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ledo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:54 am

You would be correct based on my reading of the manual

findthesource

Post by findthesource » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:02 am

vova7let wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:50 am
I am asking: is it better to build Ranch and Smokehouse in the same region or Smokehouse and Ranch should be in different regions (of course inside your empire and trade range)? In my opinion second is better, because you are getting bonus - half a price of trade good per turn, am I right?
From what I understand from the manual and playing the game: it's better to build them in different regions, but the ranch has to be within the trade range of the smokehouse region (not further than 3 regions away by default).
However, keep in mind, that if there are multiple sources of cattle available, the smokehouse will prioritize the one with the highest trade acumen, even if it doesn't belong to you. So it is possible, that the cattle will be imported from a different country (in that case you will pay for the resource and it will be worse that having both structures in the same region).

WhapXI
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by WhapXI » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:45 am

It can seem beneficial to build resource-using buildings away from regions producing those resources, but the trade only really goes for the value of trade good, which are only like 4-9 gold per turn. It's never really a huge amount of money to make, especially when you only make half the value when trading internally.

I think on the whole it's probably better to build resource-using buildings in regions producing those resources BECAUSE it won't trade for them. Obviously you won't make any money on internal trade, but it also stops the possibility of another faction boosting their trade acumen and begin trading resources you produce to you, and actually costing you money.

shockk
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by shockk » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:52 am

Is there a way other counties can force your regions to trade with them over your internal trade resources? Iv always seen it prefer internal trade when possible. If they can't then the extra money really adds up fast. There is always good uses for more coin, worse case you buy a bunch of mercs.

Also you dont want to waste building slots on buildings the produce a trade good, as they tend to be weaker buildings

loki100
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by loki100 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:04 am

Yes, their trade acumen can offset the bias to an internal trade

13obo
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by 13obo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:31 am

My understanding is also that getting a resource from internal trading nets more benefit than getting it produced in the same province. Noone seems to have disputed this so far.

jimwinsor
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by jimwinsor » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:41 am

13obo wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:31 am
My understanding is also that getting a resource from internal trading nets more benefit than getting it produced in the same province. Noone seems to have disputed this so far.
In general that's correct, with the one wrinkle being a foreign power supplier could end up snagging the trade deal instead (depending on Trade Acumen).
Streaming as "Grognerd" on Twitch! https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

Rosseau
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Rosseau » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:35 am

I hate to ask smart people a dumb question, but here goes:

If I need marble to build something, and that marble is not available within three regions' distance, am I out of luck - or do I just pay top dollar for marble from another empire producing it?

ledo
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ledo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:46 am

You pay top dollar from nobody if you're out of trade range. Trade range can be altered though so each region has it's own value adjusted for building modifiers.

ledo
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ledo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:48 am

WhapXI wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:45 am
It can seem beneficial to build resource-using buildings away from regions producing those resources, but the trade only really goes for the value of trade good, which are only like 4-9 gold per turn. It's never really a huge amount of money to make, especially when you only make half the value when trading internally.

I think on the whole it's probably better to build resource-using buildings in regions producing those resources BECAUSE it won't trade for them. Obviously you won't make any money on internal trade, but it also stops the possibility of another faction boosting their trade acumen and begin trading resources you produce to you, and actually costing you money.
Yeah it depends on trade acumen, countries like Carthage might feel pretty safe but non-trade focused countries probably want to avoid it. I think someone put a guide on steam with the idea of creating trade centres, maxing out trade range and acumen in one region where you then try to stack production of goods.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”