Alter availabilty date

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

WarHomer
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Alter availabilty date

Post by WarHomer » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:09 am

I have been trying to alter the availability date for the Italian SM.89, but when I close the units.csv excel file a pop-up in excel tells me some files might be lost and it doesn´t work when I start the game.

Is there a special way to do this or is my excel version simply too old (2016)?

kondi754
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: Alter availabilty date

Post by kondi754 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:21 am

Excel also didn't work properly for me
You should use LibreOffice

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

I use this software for opening/saving unit.csv file and it works perfect
After you install ond open, there will appear start panel
Mark:
Separator option - separated, additionally marked - comma, semicolon, space

terminator

Post by terminator » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:27 am

You forget another solution :(

TheUnitEditorTool(1.01).jpg
TheUnitEditorTool(1.01).jpg (117.49 KiB) Viewed 333 times

Link : http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 80#p773619

WarHomer

Post by WarHomer » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:54 am

Thank you both for the quick replys.

Which option is the easiest when you aren´t that tech savvy?

I only have to change the availability date in Terminators Italian Challenge. I would like it for ie 01.01.1940.

Does Libre just change the units.csv and I then place it where I got it from? Is the program free and should I go for a specific version?

How does the UnitEditorTool work when I play a mod and use a different units.csv?

kondi754

Post by kondi754 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:41 am

Libre is free, you don't need specific version
After changing the unit.csv you save this modified file and it's all

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:00 pm

I agree with kondi about LibreOffice. After a long search, which included Excel but that did not work (it didn't save the file properly), and also included specialty programs like CSVed and CSV easy, I've settled on LibreOffice Calc as being the easiest to use and most versatile. With a respectful nod to terminator's Unit Editor Tool, I like being able to see OOB's text files in column and row format, subject to easy search, filtering, and even sorting occasionally (of course, you don't save the files filtered and sorted).

There's another consideration that I'd like to mention so that perhaps others may benefit: Windows can be tricky and deceitful at times. I found that I really could not edit .txt files directly in the program folder (C:\Program Files\Slitherine\Order of Battle - WWII\Order of Battle - WW2_64_Data\Content\Data). Windows lets you think you are editing and saving over those files, giving all the proper appearances, but when you are done, nothing has been changed due to the protection applied to system folders. What I found I had to do was to copy a version of the file to my desktop, edit it there, and then copy it back over the original with administrator privileges.

Always save a copy of the original files, by the way. Not so much that they are available if you goof up - but there is that consideration - as being a source of reference of what values were before you started tinkering with them. Sometimes situations or minds change and you want to revert to those values.
- Bru

terminator

Post by terminator » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:24 pm

bru888 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:00 pm
There's another consideration that I'd like to mention so that perhaps others may benefit: Windows can be tricky and deceitful at times. I found that I really could not edit .txt files directly in the program folder (C:\Program Files\Slitherine\Order of Battle - WWII\Order of Battle - WW2_64_Data\Content\Data). Windows lets you think you are editing and saving over those files, giving all the proper appearances, but when you are done, nothing has been changed due to the protection applied to system folders. What I found I had to do was to copy a version of the file to my desktop, edit it there, and then copy it back over the original with administrator privileges.

Always save a copy of the original files, by the way. Not so much that they are available if you goof up - but there is that consideration - as being a source of reference of what values were before you started tinkering with them. Sometimes situations or minds change and you want to revert to those values.
You can launch Notepad++ in Administrator Mode and directly save the file in the game folder (sorry but it is in French :mrgreen: ) :

Notepad.JPG
Notepad.JPG (55.81 KiB) Viewed 280 times
PS: but only for informed user and it is always better to make a backup of the original file before :idea:

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:08 am

I try to avoid installing stuff in Program Files etc due to window's protection paranoia.
I simply install OOB in a D:Slitherine folder.

terminator

Post by terminator » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:08 am

It’s been a long time that if I want to test changes, I do it in a mod rather than the directory of the game.

WarHomer

Post by WarHomer » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:13 am

Thank you all for your help.

UnitEditorTool did the trick, although I had to give a very early startdate for it to work. Dont know why, but it worked.

I´ve allowed myself one SM.89 for my Blitzkrieg Italian playthrough from mission 6. I´m planning for another in Panzerkrieg.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”