French Inf. Corps 1809 vs Austrians

Moderators: hammy, Blathergut, terrys, Slitherine Core

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

French Inf. Corps 1809 vs Austrians

Post by Blathergut » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:59 pm

In my quest to somehow stomp the Austrian hordes, I designed a couple of the infantry divisions as follows:

-2 small light infantry regiments (one with officer)
-1 small line infantry regiment + arty + skirm
-1 small arty unit
-1 small hussar unit
-competent charismatic commander
-1 large conscript infantry regiment

The idea being to maximize firepower against two large Austrian units (which is how Deadtorius has been running them...in fact...just about every infantry unit and most of the cavalry units are large!!!) and make them split their medium ranged fire.

It worked exceptionally well this last time around, esp. since the Austrian cavalry was all off on a flank playing at cuirassiers with artillery attachments, so the French firepower was overwhelming. I'll remember that battle since I know Deadtorius won't let that happen again! I'm sure the cuirassiers will shift over to support the infantry regiments.

A couple photos of dubious quality to show the French line. Quality was primarily average drilled with one line unit veteran (mandatory) and one light unit veteran. This was so that we were not overwhelmed by Austrian numbers. The hussars in behind the artillery have excellent charge range, and helped lead us to victory by charging out through the artillery into 2 large disordered Austrian regiments, wavering one as they were charged.

The secret was staying tight and being able to switch dice to support units to each side, depending on the state of the enemy. In some instances, we were firing up to 16 dice at one large Austrian regiment.

Return to “Army Design”