Panzer Corps lands on iPad and looks for testers!

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

steveshaw
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Panzer Corps lands on iPad and looks for testers!

Post by steveshaw » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:26 am

steveshaw wrote:
IainMcNeil wrote:Apple allow 100 devices across all our games and developers... no special cases, no ability to have more. I have 4 devices on my own...

We're struggling to come up with a plan for how to deal with this with the number of games we have coming and how large developers & publishers cope. I assume they don't do any external testing and do it all internally.
My wife, who was a professional software tester before retirement, suggests the following to try to deal with your unfortunate constraints.

1. Prioritise volunteers who have played the game before on other platforms, they will be able to prove the game out faster.
2. Set strict deadlines for responses from the testers and disqualify those who do not provide assessments of defects to your timescales. Replace the disqualified testers with others from the queue of volunteers and set them new strict deadlines.
3. Keep beta test phases short so that you can schedule more games to be tested per unit time.
4. Publish lists of known defects to the beta testers, so that these external testers do not waste time following known failure paths.

I consider these suggestions to be useful under the circumstances.
Additionally, to further speed up testing:

5. There will inevitably some aspects of the game that you anticipate will receive less attention from beta testers. List those "backwater" aspects and allocate one or more aspects to each beta tester for them to thoroughly include in their test activities.

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:52 pm

Any news on the Beta at all? Time is ticking..... And I have a habit of spending money I save :(

robert1025
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by robert1025 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:40 pm

I hope that the game will come out in November. I wonder when the beta will start.

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:26 pm

For a game like this we need ATLEAST a month of proper testing. So an early December release is expected

Ron42na

Post by Ron42na » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:18 pm

I just got rejected for the beta, but I'm taking this as a good sign that they have lots of people applying and the game is very close to actually starting the beta. Hopefully the beta will go well and it will be released later this year!

rodney727

Post by rodney727 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:41 pm

IainMcNeil wrote:Apple allow 100 devices across all our games and developers... no special cases, no ability to have more. I have 4 devices on my own...

We're struggling to come up with a plan for how to deal with this with the number of games we have coming and how large developers & publishers cope. I assume they don't do any external testing and do it all internally.
Well that explains it! :(. I would have loved to have been apart of this. Given our past relationship I do understand. I just want to say thanks for considering me!

Spagetti69
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Spagetti69 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:05 pm

When I saw the E-mail my heart skipped a beat lol.
Unfortunately I was not selected. As someone who is not a regular around these parts I'm not too disappointed and I trust the regulars got selected, as that would be the right decision IMHO.

Glad to see the beta's getting ready for dispatch though, can't wait for full release.

Thanks for the opportunity to apply and happy testing.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi guys - about 20% of the people selected were known to us so 80% are new. We need a mix of new blood to be sure we're not making games for just the hardcore players.

Sorry we could not include more of you.

glemmi
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by glemmi » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:52 pm

How long does it take to finish the beta test?

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:26 pm

glemmi wrote:How long does it take to finish the beta test?
Proper testing should take ATLEAST a month of pure work so release should be early December.

Andreh

Post by Andreh » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:29 am

Some questions...
will the game be the same as the PC or will it be " dumbed down" ?

People that already purchased the series for pc will have to buy all "new" software, get it as a bonus, or with some discount?

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:07 am

Well in the Press Confrences, Slith never "dumbs" down their games. They make what are know as "perfect PC ports" the only thing that will be missing is an editor so Slith takes 10$ off the game completely (expansions included)well that was the case with Battle Academy

Danimal1968
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Danimal1968 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:07 am

IainMcNeil wrote:Hi guys - about 20% of the people selected were known to us so 80% are new. We need a mix of new blood to be sure we're not making games for just the hardcore players.

I'd suggest that in the future you hold off from asking people for things like the UDID for their devices until you've decided they're going to be in the beta test. Bad form to ask for that kind of info before then.

Spagetti69

Post by Spagetti69 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:06 am

Danimal1968 wrote:
IainMcNeil wrote:Hi guys - about 20% of the people selected were known to us so 80% are new. We need a mix of new blood to be sure we're not making games for just the hardcore players.

I'd suggest that in the future you hold off from asking people for things like the UDID for their devices until you've decided they're going to be in the beta test. Bad form to ask for that kind of info before then.
Why is that ? I gave the required info out too.
Only asking because I'm new to this stuff.

steveshaw
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by steveshaw » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:54 am

Spagetti69 wrote:
Danimal1968 wrote:

Why is that ? I gave the required info out too.
Only asking because I'm new to this stuff.
I tend to agree. Asking people for technical access information before the decision is reached about who is to be involved in the beta testing raises peoples hopes only to have them dashed later.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:18 am

The problem is only a small % usually provide that info so we have to ask a lot more than we expect to add for info. iPad testing is very different because of the way Apple works unfortunately. We wish it were different but we have to work with it as it is.

Return to “Panzer Corps”