[custom scenario] The Last Elephants

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

StuccoFresco
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

[custom scenario] The Last Elephants

Post by StuccoFresco »

The massacre of the Rajput army by the hands (and guns) of the Bengali Confederation resonated throughout the Raj: soon the North rose in rebellion against all the Elephant Kingdoms and asked the Confederation for help.~~The Bengalis were eager to comply, but only if the rebels promised to adhere to the Confederation as soon as the oppressors were driven out. One after the other, the Northern states entered the Confederation, and a new power arose.~~After that, it was time to move South and crush the Elephant Kingdoms once for all. The Southern campaign was brutal, and soon brought the Confederation to confront the strongest of the Elephant Kings: the Vijayangar King.~~With a force of 400 Elephants and thousands of Longbowmen, the Vijayangar King felt invincible and rode out to meet the Confederation in open battle, challenging the 'cowardly gunmen of the North' to attack his impenetrable walls of spears and tusks.

The first assaults at the "Vijayangara Fortress" are done by my archers and Misl Irregulars: on the left side, where I will try to breakthrough, I start by weakening the ranks of the Longbowmen and bait some sortie by the towering Elephants in the second line. On the right flank, I'll try to bait the enemy cavalry to chase me in the wilderness, away from the "fortress".

Soon enough, enemy elephants and cavalry start pouring out of the enemy lines to answer my barrage of arrows and gunfire that is wreaking havoc on their Longbowmen. I set up several counter-charges and start firing at the elephants, disorganizing a couple of them. In the far right, my Irregulars have no trouble harassing the enemy cavalry, that is being drawn further out of the enemy perimeter.

By Turn 6 I have started penetrating the enemy formation on my left flank, and gradually moving my cavalry there to exploit the gaps. Unfortunately, one of my Misl Horsemen unit gets too enthusiastic with a pursuit and ends up straight in the center of the enemy army, getting charged by King Deva Yara's own personal guard, along with an elephant unit. Those reckless horsemen get promptly routed, but this also brings the Elephant King on the frontlines. My Mysore Lancers, meanwhile, start slamming into enemy infantry blocks now that the elephants are all engaged (and three units of them already routed).

Turn 8: I have now smashed throug the enemy's right flank, but the resistence is stiffening. The Mysore Lancers have trampled two enemy infantry blocks, and my own spearmen are marching through. Enemy elephants in second line are indecisive about what threat address first, now that my soldiers are pouring in the perimeter by the thousands. The King's own Guards have been flank-charged by my infantry right after defeating my own Nawab's personal guards in melee.

In Turn 10 I've smashed the enemy formation, thanks to the reckless advance of the enemy Rajah's guard that brought it in range of a flank-charge and caused a chain reaction that disorganized their entire line. My infantry and Lancers have thoroughly broken through the enemy right flank and are now maneuvering to crush his reserves while my entire left flank prepares to roll on the enemy center. My Misl Horsemen are firing their pistols and swinging their maces like madmen.

In the far right I thought one of my Irregular units was toast when an enemy Poligar Raiders units got a charge on them and locked them in melee; turns out my Irregulars can swing their swords and routed the Raiders! Another Irregular is being chased around by other Raiders, while another one is trailed by 1000 heavy cavalrymen and 100 elephants! What a bargain!

The enemy army collapses fairly quickly: a series of coordinated cavalry and infantry charges routs one unit after the other, with King Deva Yara retreating down the road to his capital as his embarassingly useless reserve finally gives up chasing my Irregulars and resolves to cover his retreat.

The battle has been a slaughter. Unfortunately, the command I used to not make the AI charge mindlessly out of formation also kept three enemy infantry unit immobile for all the battle. Anyway, what really won the battle was the harassing of my light cavalry, that drew six enemy units out of the battlefield; shout out to my light troops on the left, too, that baited no less than three elephant units out of formation with their archery and gunfire.

Return to “After Action Reports”