Pre Lodi AAR

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

Glyph
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Pre Lodi AAR

Post by Glyph »

Battle Report – Pre-Lodi
The forces are based on the French and Austrian forces at Lodi under Bonaparte and
Sebottendorf, respectively. Some sources say the Austrians were exhausted and underfed at this
battle while the French infantry was of veteran quality by this time. The quality assigned to the
units is meant to reflect this understanding, as well as how they historically performed at Lodi.
The FoGN army lists for these armies was used, with an emphasis on getting something near the
troop composition for the historical battle. The result was a point ratio of 2:1 in favor of the
French as calculated by the FoGN army list and label generator. This advantage may, or may not,
be countered by the river, bridge, terrain, and victory conditions of the historical scenario.
However, this was not the historical replay; the terrain and victory conditions were not added to
the mix as this is my first attempt at FoGN. I wanted to use these troops without other
complications, simply to learn how the system works – the French should have a huge advantage
in the battle as played here.
OOB
The French: (with 50 bases and 1080 points)
Napoleon (Corps Commander – Exceptional)
Dallmagne’s Division (Skilled)
-Grenadiers (Line, Reformed, Small, Superior, Veteran)
-Carabiniers (Line, Reformed, Small, Superior, Veteran)
-1st Hussars (Lt. Cav, Small, Superior, Veteran)(oops, should be: Average, Drilled)
-Dallmagne’s Arty (Medium, Small, Superior, Veteran)
Massena’s Division (Skilled)
-17th Lt Inf (Light, Small, Superior, Veteran)
-14th & 32nd Line (Line, Reformed, Small, Superior, Veteran)
-46th & 99th Line (Line, Reformed, Small, Superior, Veteran)
-Massena’s Arty (Medium, Small, Superior, Veteran)
La Harpe’s Division – Under Cerboni (Skilled)
-51st Line (Line, Reformed, Small, Superior, Veteran)
-75th Line (Line, Reformed, Small, Superior, Veteran)
-Cerboni’s Arty (Medium, Small, Superior, Veteran)
Beaumont’s Cav. Division (Skilled)
-10th Chasseurs (Lt. Cav, Small, Average, Drilled)
-24th Chasseurs (Lt. Cav, Small, Average, Drilled)
-5th & 20th Dragoons (Hvy Cav, Small, Average, Drilled)
Austrians: (with 44 bases and 500 points)
Sebottendorf (Corps Commander – Competent)
Rosselmini’s Division (Competent)
-16 & 19th Line (Unreformed, Large, Poor, Drilled) w/ Medium Arty Attachment
-39th, 43rd & 44th Line (Unreformed, Large, Poor, Drilled)
-Hussars (Lt. Cav, Large, Average, Drilled)
Vukassovich’s Division (Competent)
-Grenzers (Lt. Inf, Large, Average, Drilled)
-Vukass’ Arty (Medium Foot, Small, Average, Drilled)
Nicoletti’s Division (Competent)
-19th, 23rd & 27th Line (Unreformed, Large, Poor, Drilled)
-Nicoletti’s Hussars (Lt. Cav, Small, Average, Drilled)
Neopolitan Cav Division (Competent)
-1st Neo Chasseurs (Lt. Cav, Small, Average, Drilled)
-2nd Neo Chasseurs (Lt. Cav, Small, Average, Drilled)
Deployment
The Austrian forces are deployed first. They can set up as desired, subject to the
following restrictions: The Neopolitan Cav. Division begins off-board and will enter on the
Austrian right corner; Nicoletti’s Division will enter on the Austrian left corner; these two
divisions begin testing to enter once Beaumont’s Division of French Cavalry enter. The Austrian
player rolls separately for each division at the start of the French movement phase on which
Beaumont’s division enters; on a 6 the division enters on the Austrian turn. Each turn the die roll
result required to enter is reduced by one.
The French forces deploy as desired, subject to the following: Beaumont’s division sets
up near the French left edge, about to exit the board. Beginning on the third turn after the exit,
they roll one die at the start of the Austrian player’s movement phase – on a 6 they will enter the
board on the Austrian right flank during the French player’s move. The die roll entrance
indicates success in finding a place to ford the river in the historical Lodi scenario. I’m using it
for this scenario, even though I’m not using the river – just for kicks.

More to come...if I can figure out how to get the pics to post
Glyph

Re: Pre Lodi AAR

Post by Glyph »

Unable to load pics - if someone will give me some instruction I will try it again.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

Glyph wrote:Unable to load pics - if someone will give me some instruction I will try it again.

Basically, upload the photo to something like PhotoBucket or whatever is around these days. Then copy the link into a msg here, then highlight the entire link and click 'Img' in the little boxes above the msg box here.
Glyph

Post by Glyph »

I decided to skip the pictures...
The only terrain and obstacles are a hill, on the Austrian right; a rock near the center which is just an obstruction; and a long low wall at the Austrian center.
On the French left, Beaumont’s cavalry division is set to exit to the left to search for a ford. Cerboni’s division is at the French center rear. Massena's troops on the right. Dallemagne’s division has the center and left. All of the French artillery is deployed forward.

From the Austrian side:
Rosselmini’s division is on the Austrian right and center, with one unit in extended line behind the wall. On the Austria left is Vukassovich’s division of Grenzer’s and medium artillery. In the rear center are Rosselmini’s light cavalry. Nicoletti’s and the Neopolitan divisions are not actually on board yet.

The Battle:
The French moved first. The first three turns consisted of exchanges of artillery. There was some disorder caused but each side easily recovered. On the French right, Massena’s infantry demonstrated, attempting an assault on the Vussakovich’s Grenzers who evaded. The French unit eventually fell back under artillery fire and the threat of the Austrian cavalry.
Two things finally happened that changed the atmosphere significantly. On the French left, Dallemagne moved up a unit to exchange fire with the unit on Rosselmini’s right. The Austrian unit became disordered. The French also rolled a six for the entry of Beaumont’s cavalry division (on the first attempt) which indicated it would enter across the top of the hill on the Austrian right flank. Already disordered, the Austrian unit on the right decided to form square in advance of the expected cavalry attack.

The French cavalry entered but could not attack yet. However, Dallemagne’s Carabiniers assaulted the square, forcing the Austrians to take a CT…which the unit failed. The French suffered nothing from the square’s defensive fire, and broke the Austrian unit during combat.

The Austrian outcome move took them 8 MU’s away. The French pursuit only took them a few MU’s.
Things don’t improve for the Austrians. The Austrian off board units fail their arrival rolls. The broken unit above makes another outcome move during the Austrian movement phase, and fails to rally. One large Austrian infantry unit destroyed.
Rosselini’s other large infantry unit has pulled back at an angle because of the enemy infantry and cavalry on its flank. It was also forced backwards from heavy fire which caused it to waver.

Beaumont’s light cavalry has moved into assault range. His heavy dragoons wait on the hill in case the Neopolitan cavalry should enter.

The Austrians managed to bring Rosselmini’s cavalry around from threatening the French on the left to counter the French mass on the right. Rosselmini has attached himself to his large infantry unit. He also manages to raise the unit a cohesion level during the recovery phase.

The French have two cavalry units and two infantry units in range to assault Rosselmini’s infantry.

Unfortunately, both infantry units failed their CMT to attack with the cavalry. Beaumont’s 2 cavalry units launch their assault. Rosselmini’s cavalry intercepts one unit; the other unit strikes the Austrian extended line. (I wasn’t sure if this was a flank attack or not by the cavalry on the infantry – I split the difference by having the right half of the Austrian unit defensive fire (it was without effect) and giving the French the POA for a flank attack in the combat resolution). (More familiar with the rules now…I see it would not have qualified as a flank attack).
Although some firing occurred, the spectacle in the center ring garnered all the attention. First, resolving the cavalry attack on the Austrian infantry: The infantry broke, and the cavalry wavered. The outcome move chart showed that broken infantry in the open, not in square, in contact with cavalry are destroyed. (IS THAT CORRECT?) A second large Austrian infantry unit disappears. The wavering cavalry cannot make any kind of pursuit.
The clash of cavalry in the second combat resulted in a bloodbath for both units. The cohesion levels fell to wavering. The defending Austrians had to move away first; the French could not pursue.

One French cavalry unit improved a cohesion level during the recovery phase. The Austrian right and center have disappeared. (I did not think to measure and check if the destruction would have affected Vukassovich’s division. So the result is that it didn’t. All three cavalry units in the combats are spent as well). The Austrians haven’t lost all hope, Nicoletti’s Division is entering the board.

On the Austrian left, Massena’s light infantry mounts an assault on Vukassovich’s artillery while one of Massena’s line infantry units moves to assault Vukasovich’s Grenzers. The Grenz evaded behind Nicoletti’s cavalry (skirmishers, so no check or penalty for either unit, correct?). The Artillery blasted the French light troops with four hits, driving them back the way they came.

Meanwhile, the French try to untangle Dallemagne’s infantry and cavalry, and Beaumont’s light cavalry. The dragoons move down from the hill and the artillery limbers to move forward. Cerboni’s troops pass through the wavering light infantry to continue to pressure the Austrian artillery. (Now wondering if that was a proper pass through, as the units were from different divisions?)

The Austrians get their cavalry confronting their French counterparts. The Austrian artillery continues to make a slow retreat, without real support from either Nicoletti’s infantry or Vukasovich’s Grenz.

Once again, the French send double attacks against the artillery. Once again, heavy fire stops the assault. (The artillery had to split its firing dice between the two attackers – if I understood that correctly - and I think that I forgot to make the artillery do a CT).

The French continue to press forward on the right while remaining immobile on the left. Both the French and the Austrians were under the mistaken belief that the Neopolitan cavalry on the extreme Austrian right was heavy cavalry, rather than light. Neither wanted to be the first to throw away a heavy cavalry unit.

The Austrians maneuvered to exit troops off near the LOC marker. The French launched another assault on the Austrian battery whose gunners failed to stand and ran away (without any friendly infantry in range to take them, I eliminated the gunners). The Austrian pieces were removed and the French artillery moved forward and unlimbered in hopes of finding an opportunity to bombard Nicoletti’s infantry. It would eventually get to fire on them, but without result. The French infantry fire had disordered Nicoletti’s infantry when they first came into range; the unit never did recover.

The Austrian’s managed to exit Nicoletti’s cavalry off the board next to the LOC marker, giving them 1 victory point (part of the rear guard delaying action of the historical Lodi scenario - which won’t be enough to offset the massive losses the Austrians suffered). On the Austrian right, the French realize that they have two fresh cavalry units, a light and a heavy to throw at the Neopolitan cavalry. They also have spent, but steady cavalry with which to counter the Austrian spent cavalry, as well as steady infantry, and cavalry with which to destroy the Grenz; perhaps they could pursue into Nicoletti’s infantry behind the Grenz.

The French proceed as planned, with the exception that one spent cavalry unit fails its test to assault (spent non-shock cavalry must test to assault, right?). The Grenz evaded off the board and the pursuit of the infantry carabiniers takes them close, but not into contact with Nicoletti’s infantry. The latter fires, disordering Dallemagne’s carabiniers. Nicoletti’s infantry will take fire from Massena’s artillery and the carabiniers; they become broken by the fire.
The two French cavalry units, Dallemagne’s light and Beaumont’s heavy, ride in to inflict heavy losses while taking none themselves, driving the Neopolitans back, and destroying them in the pursuit.
In the center, the French and Austrian cavalry are evenly matched, but the Austrians were ill prepared from the assault (rolling a handful of deuces) and are reduced to wavering. They fall back and the French pursuit roll isn’t enough to carry them against either the enemy cavalry or Nicoletti’s infantry.

With only two Austrian units still on the board (one wavering, the other broken) and the Austrian LOC under French control, it’s a complete sauve qui peut--an unmitigated disaster for the Austrians.

The Austrians should fare better when the French are separated by the river and only able to attack across a single bridge. That will be the next battle.

I forgot to have the poor Austrian troops re-roll 6's…they had enough trouble as it was.

Return to “FoGN After Action Reports (AAR)”