End of Game Army Composition

PC/MAC : A belnd of role playing game and RTS following the story of the mighty Roman Empire.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Aleksandr
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: End of Game Army Composition

Post by Aleksandr »

moj, you're going overboard with these challenges! :-D
What's next, Twin Freaks? :-D

I don't have any explanation for the fame results, I know that with that few guys you simply don't lose much fame, but I'd guess that the battles must have been longer than usual, so I'd expect a lot of bleeding. But you've finished with 1144k, and that's more than I'd ever dream of just a few months ago while playing my usual full-pin games. This is pretty interesting, and it seems like there are two things working in synergy: the experiences are divided amongst very few units, and they also got extremely fast extremely high upgrades, both skills and items. I wouldn't expect this to work, but it does!

I'm also surprised that you didn't need to replay every other scenario fifty times, or at least the time limit battles. I'd love to see e.g. Etruscan Treachery with this core. Speaking of Iron Man: well, this really looks like a possible candidate, even though at least some battles must be a coin flip: you've mentioned Giants, and I think there can be a few more, mostly the time limit battles, or anything that plays on a non-forested map.

Cheers!
moj wrote: Yep, I stopped pincushioning very early in my career as a legate. Slapping peasants all over the field at Vadimo Lake in order to occupy the enemy for another three seconds made me feel like a war criminal.
moj
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by moj »

Aleksandr wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:31 amWhat's next, Twin Freaks? :-D
No, not happening. Never happening. Good name, though!

I'm also surprised that you didn't need to replay every other scenario fifty times, or at least the time limit battles. I'd love to see e.g. Etruscan Treachery with this core. Speaking of Iron Man: well, this really looks like a possible candidate, even though at least some battles must be a coin flip: you've mentioned Giants, and I think there can be a few more, mostly the time limit battles, or anything that plays on a non-forested map.
Etruscan Treachery is pretty simple with this build: one unit hammers up the the centre/left rocks with a second unit following. Job of second unit is to make sure it lures U-turning cavalry onto the rocks. Third unit charges into skirmishers on right and is eventually enveloped by surrounding troops. The opposing army seem weaker than they should be; plenty of time to smash what's in front of you and move onto the immobile heavy infantry. Last two TRIO battles were 13 casualties / 17 mins left, and 8/10.

Yeah. I had another crack at it...

THE BRIO TRIO v2

Important disclaimer on score: I've now established a 'starting point' for further TRIO games: a pre- Conclude the War 'army'. First aux is L11 and W3/A3; other two both L8 and W2/A3. In establishing this starting point I didn't save scum the score but I didn't shy away from regular restarts either! Have just noticed that the score of 78,735 is actually 30pts better than my 'real' SAVE SCUM game (which was three aux and an archer by this point).

Anyhow, the semi-scummed starting point was 310pts higher than the original TRIO at the same stage. So TRIOv2's 695pt improvement over TRIOv1 is actually more of a 385pt improvement.

/confessional

So first, the GOOD. Headline is that only two battles required a replay: GIANTS and Vercellae.

Cyno looks to be 'in the bag'. At first it appeared to be going wrong, with my rearmost auxilia engaging both sweeping cavalry units on the open plain, but again it was possible to quickly establish the 'two aux take on infantry in rough, third aux hits archers' routine. A win with 38 minutes left and for just 19 casualties, which until very recently would have been an inconceivably small number of corpses.

Pydna was slightly different. My units have to be kept *very* low in the corner to avoid prodding the archers into life, and this time I managed to wake them up and take missile casualties while fighting the elephant gang. But again was able to slam an auxilia unit into the archers, unmolested, once the opposition's long hold was over. Felt less 'perfect' than the TRIO's win, but was actually marginally less bloody (42 casualties vs 44).

Adys was a zero minutes remaining victory for the second campaign in a row. Cypsela was a nervy 7 minutes. All other timed battles other than Vercellae were convincingly within time. None of the non-timed battles were ever in any doubt.

And the BAD. GIANTS took four attempts, Vercellae took six.

GIANTS was interesting: because I had dreams of IRON MANning I bought grade 1 standards pre-battle. But equipment was otherwise the same as TRIOv1: W6/A8 and Achilles' armour. There was a difference in skills, though: TRIOv1 were GM3/2/1 anti-inf, whereas TRIOv2 were GM2/master/master. I'd obviously been too balanced on buying anti-cav skills! Don't know if this was the difference between the two army's results/replays, but it didn't help. My suspicion, though, is that GIANTS is simply a bastard battle to attempt with just two units in the river because the first of those two units, regardless of level/equipment/skills, will get *smashed* in moments. The win required me ploughing my 'cannot be killed' legate into one of the archers and hoping that he wouldn't die before my auxilia could save him. It also looked as though it would be an agonising out-of-time fail, because the opposing leader and my auxilia was stuck in one of those 'waiting for orders / fighting' loops, dancing around each other.

Vercellae was 'annoying'. All aux were W7/A8 and had GM3 anti-inf. It's a tricky battle without missiles, because it's difficult to draw the L20(?) heavies on the right hand side into the woods within the time limit. It's also bloody; I properly 'lost' at least once. Finally won for 54 casualties with 6 minutes left, cf TRIOv1's 37 casualties / 20 minutes at the second attempt.

I'm now thinking that TRIOv1's second attempt successes at both battles were... if not exactly 'outliers', then sooner than should/could be expected? I'm convinced that's the case for GIANTS, at least, because I don't see another way of playing the battle. I haven't exhausted the options at Vercellae so it's possible that there *is* a winning formula (or at least a 'not losing quite so often formula') that's just waiting to be discovered.

GIANTS was the mid-game high water mark of the campaign: was 5pts cheaper than TRIOv1's win and put TRIOv2 735pts ahead. Dipped to low 500pt differential before peaking at 740pts after Munda. Allowed myself another 10+ resets at Philippi for the HERO VICTORY but simply couldn't get near it this time. On a couple of occasions my 'heroes' were routed by a hail of pila without ever engaging!

...anything that plays on a non-forested map.
Cannot compute. I have now learned how to conduct the whole cavalry charge battle at Cannae under that one tree on the left!

Will make a note of how often I have to fight in unfavourable terrain (other than single unit archer-rushing). Doesn't happen very often. Only late game battle I can think of is Siege of Alesia, and that's only to ensure I make it within the time limit (it can be won in the woods at the back, but the clock is very tight).
moj
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by moj »

Knocked out TRIOv3 while multi-tasking the Winter Olympics: 1,145,180 points so a 120pt improvement.

The GOOD: won both GIANTS and Vercellae first time!

In the run-up to GIANTS I'd absolutely prioritised anti-inf over anti-cav, and my guys were GM3/GM3/GM2 with G1 standards. Had also invested in a bit of gear for my Legate. Two aux run into the river if offensive formation; the other aux and the Legate start on the left and plough into one archer each. The first unit into the river crumpled in seconds, as expected; the second unit _really_ dug in. The archer-killing was complicated by their archers refusing to engage my Legate: they continued to fire into the river while my legate s-l-o-w-l-y cut them down. The enemy cavalry and leader were 'attracted' to the river, giving me time to kill both archers unmolested. At one point I thought the auxilia in the river would actually win the battle themselves, but they were broken by the final cavalry who then charged my archer-killers and got scarily close to breaking them. 71 casualties, compared with 56/57 in the first two TRIOs.

Vercellae: used a new-to-me tactic which won me the battle in the previous campaign. Had previously been bombing up the middle with two auxilia to meet the enemy charge in the open; have moved to a single static offensive auxilia waiting in the lower woods, while the other two angle into the upper woods from the left. Late(ish) in the battle my Legate sacrifices himself to wake up the top righthand heavies. A relatively bloodless win – 32 casualties – but only 4 minutes on the clock. This one's always going to be a challenge for a TRIO.

The BAD: three losses (but all won at second attempt)

Lost Adys by probably no more than 2-3 minutes; won on second attempt with a third consecutive zero minutes win! Lost my first attempt at Cypsela through inattentive play. Bled out at Nicopolis for the first time in a while, then revisited an old tactic which got me through for a reasonable 51 casualties: instead of tucking in at the bottom centre, it's a 'line up the three left-hand skirmishers and CHARGE'. Basically neutralises the missile threat quickly, and allows at least two of the auxilia to occupy 'their' rough ground.

Overall, had a rough start (215pts down by Sentium) but bounced back with a fantastic Vadimo Lake (19 casualties) and Cisalpine Gauls (18). Magnesia was a miraculous 10 casualties: it's a battle I've always struggled with in the past, but the 'hide in the bottom left' tactic is fantastic if you can stay tight enough to not wake up their archers. Pydna similarly good with 11 casualties: Legate managed to rout archers; auxilia managed to stay entirely in the rough.

Because the IRON MAN was long gone, had a go at single aux heroic victories at Munda and Philippi. Both were first time wins. Which is nice.

caution: butchers at work

FOOTNOTE 1

In the last two campaigns I've run into Legate issues from around Zela onwards. Don't think it's related to equipment – have already picked up all the Mithras stuff by then – so it either occurs when he hits a particular level, or is due to the acquisition of a particular 'inappropriate' skill. Didn't notice it in TRIOv1, which suggests it might be skill-related. Basically the 'order timer' takes forever to refill; fortunately none of these battles take very much 'steering'. You mentioned the 'L135 Legate bug' thread, and I vaguely recall something about a problem with extreme levels, but I can't find it. Was this the problem?

FOOTNOTE 2
I wrote:Etruscan Treachery is pretty simple with this build: one unit hammers up the the centre/left rocks with a second unit following. Job of second unit is to make sure it lures U-turning cavalry onto the rocks. Third unit charges into skirmishers on right and is eventually enveloped by surrounding troops. The opposing army seem weaker than they should be; plenty of time to smash what's in front of you and move onto the immobile heavy infantry. Last two TRIO battles were 13 casualties / 17 mins left, and 8/10.
Have just had three attempts at setting up an IRON MAN run, starting with my pre-Conclude the War build, and each one timed out on Etruscan Treachery. Only one of them was even close to succeeding. After the third failed 'campaign' I replayed the battle and took a further two attempts before (narrowly) winning.

Exactly the same build and positioning that had made this battle 'pretty simple'.

Never underestimate an Etruscan!
Aleksandr

Post by Aleksandr »

moj, I am finally able to post my last result, but reading your AARs made me realize that my efforts lost all the relevance. This one also ended with a really pathetic result, and it wasn't even that much entertaining gameplay, as the core was badly thought-out and horribly managed. I made some mistakes during the skill development, and I postponed Endurance for far too long, thus having a very low armour for far too long time.
The fast archers didn't pay off, I had many issues with my weak infantry and on few occasions the enemy broke through. There were a lot of really funny battles namely towards the end of the campaign, and I had quite a fast Odd Bow, but all things considered, this core is a weak one.

Absolutely uninspiring final fame of a 1141k. Ok, this was a no-pin run, and also low-restart run, I basically went with w/e the result, except for a five or six scenarios that went sooo horribly wrong that I restarted them mid-battle so that I save time instead of waiting for the inevitable loss, so maybe it's not that horrible, but it's still not a record.
The four archers sandwiched between the two+two auxilia might have been a solid idea, but the performance was lacking, moreover this whole setting is extremely vulnerable, it's an absolute glass cannon and I disliked it until well after the 2nd Punic War. That says enough, if you hate the build for half of the campaign, it's pretty hard to force yourself to play it correctly.
But I need to note that this would be a totally different experience with a lo-pi setting, as most of my troubles were rooted in the fact that I missed a solid shieldwall. With just a one or two units of solid pincushions (basically Principes and above), I'd be able to prevent a LOT of deaths.

I also had another "0 deaths, 240 kills, you lose" defeat at Bibracte, this scenario really drives me crazy. I even needed to maneuver my Aux Cav in a silly way just that I could overrun a few already routed guys.

Speaking of itemization, I had a bit of a brain dead moment when I spent a lot of gold for unnecessary W+A upgrade, and then I struggled to purchase the Odd Bows + Ach. Armours. I obviously porefered the bows, so my auxilia were behind a battle or two, and the delayed elite items might have resulted in few more preventable deaths. I'm not really sure about the maths, but it seems like A6+W6+H3 needs to be the whole purchase, anything above that is just waste of gold. Yep, I bought them the lvl3 Dr. Martens again and I was disappointed... again.

In the last two campaigns I've run into Legate issues from around Zela onwards. Don't think it's related to equipment – have already picked up all the Mithras stuff by then – so it either occurs when he hits a particular level, or is due to the acquisition of a particular 'inappropriate' skill. Didn't notice it in TRIOv1, which suggests it might be skill-related. Basically the 'order timer' takes forever to refill; fortunately none of these battles take very much 'steering'. You mentioned the 'L135 Legate bug' thread, and I vaguely recall something about a problem with extreme levels, but I can't find it. Was this the problem?
Isn't this related to the high level of Legate? I believe tha it should have nothing to do with equipment, I encountered ALL sorts of issues back in mid 2010's when I played with the "recent" patch for the last time - these things cannot be replicated without high post-battle experience bonus - but my usual 10-men core simply avoids this issue no matter what.
I think that there's some trouble with how the game handles all the nonsensical stuff that the lvl99+ Legate has (the primary supsect would be the bull's eye skills, I guess), but it's so many years since I played the game with this particular patch+build combo that I don't remember much. But I know that it's one of the reasons why I went 2x Militia in one run, as I noticed that I simply need to halve their experience lest I'll run into troubles.

I'm honestly surprised with your high results considering the "meme" nature of your runs. I think that this is due to your mastery of the game, but partly also due to a mismanagment on Slitherine's side: these result shouldn't be possible, imho, at least not at Very Hard setting. What do you think?
I really don't wanna sound bitter, in fact I'm totally not bitter at all, rather amazed by what's possible. But considering that this is a strategy game that you're able to defeat with an RPGesque build, heck, with a first-person-shooter approach... this is weird. I guess that the main reason is the post-battle experience bonus. It is such a huge boon to the few units that they get out of hand and proportion really fast. I doubt that this results would be possible in the old patch.
The other "issue" seems to be the Auxilia, a unit that is a bit overpowered and moreover fast-leveling, plus cheap to heal; this last point has nothing to do with the army's survivability and viability, obviously... But a light infantry that is far more efficient that a heavy infatry but costs half the price, this is simply wrong. In the few battles towards the end of the campaign I'd find use for a pair Triarii, but other than that, it's Auxilia 99 % of time, no questions about.
The fact that your insane builds are close to Iron Man Possible is just unbelievable, but it once again proves my points, I guess. This shouldn't be possible, or at least not with such an ease.

I'm a bit burnt-out, and even the covid-forced pause didn't really brought back my enthusiasm. I blame the "bad" result of my last run, but I also feel like there's not much to explore, unless I'd venture into the unknown territory of the crazy builds that you try. I would like to find a "perfect" build, preferably one that's IM-able, and I also didn't really try the 4 Aux, 4 Arch, 1 Aux Cav core that seems to be the most fun, safe, and enjoyable to play. This may be my next "project", but I'm also kinda torn between the two potential approaches: a no-pin RPG run, and a whatever-goes try for the new personal best. Both are kinda tempting, in fact I played enough no-pin runs in the past weeks to remember the frustration when I lost hundreds of fame simply because I artificially limited my purchases. So maybe a lo-pi run on next weekend?

Cheers!
moj wrote: Yep, I stopped pincushioning very early in my career as a legate. Slapping peasants all over the field at Vadimo Lake in order to occupy the enemy for another three seconds made me feel like a war criminal.
moj
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by moj »

Aleksandr wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:19 pm lost all the relevance ... really pathetic result, and it wasn't even that much entertaining gameplay, as the core was badly thought-out and horribly managed ... Absolutely uninspiring final fame
Never surrender, Aleksandr!

I started playing ‘2x aux + (aux/archer) + aux cav’ fairly earlier in my legatorial career. Have played as extreme as 2x aux followed by 6x archers; and four of each with alternating purchases. But I always come back to 3x aux followed by 3x archers: introducing an archer or archers early (ie as third and fourth units) puts the third aux a long way behind in development. It will get slaughtered in its early battles, and need nursing for a lot longer.

While getting a couple of archers on the pitch early in the game gives them the possibility of gaining megabows, it will only be for the final couple of battles and won’t make a difference. It’s an ‘all or nothing’ tactic: while megabows are fantastic fun, no-one has ever said ‘if only those archers had been L25 instead of L22’. Whereas auxilia improvements seem much more tangible.

I suspect that your pre-patch campaigns have left you archer-centric. They’ve been largely neutered, and you have to learn to let go!

I can’t see myself deviating from ‘3 aux followed by 3 archers’, with or without aux cavalry on top, from now on. That’s if I can ever tear myself away from the BRIO TRIO.

Speaking of itemization, I had a bit of a brain dead moment when I spent a lot of gold for unnecessary W+A upgrade, and then I struggled to purchase the Odd Bows + Ach. Armours. I obviously porefered the bows, so my auxilia were behind a battle or two, and the delayed elite items might have resulted in few more preventable deaths. I'm not really sure about the maths, but it seems like A6+W6+H3 needs to be the whole purchase, anything above that is just waste of gold. Yep, I bought them the lvl3 Dr. Martens again and I was disappointed... again.
In a 3+3 game my aux end up W6/A8 or W7/A7, I think. The TRIO are obviously W8/A8, and have been since #58 End of the Dream. Don’t know how much difference there is between grade 6 and grade 8 in terms of ‘real life’ (heh) performance, but the values still visibly increase in the stats chart, at least! Always annoying when you find yourself hitting L26 with only 745gp in the bank. But shoes? Yeah, shoes suck. Agility feels like an unimplemented attribute.

Isn't this related to the high level of Legate?
I’m starting to wonder if there actually is a problem of if I just imagined it. The order points regeneration column is buggered, but that’s it. I’m still sort-of convinced there was at least one instance where it took ‘forever’ for an order to be given, though. In the last couple of games I’ve stopped promoting the Legate once he hits 100 and gets all the Mithraic goodies, and it’s been fine.

I'm honestly surprised with your high results considering the "meme" nature of your runs. I think that this is due to your mastery of the game, but partly also due to a mismanagment on Slitherine's side: these result shouldn't be possible, imho, at least not at Very Hard setting. What do you think?
I can probably answer this with my latest campaign...

BRIO TRIO v5

1.145,335, a 180 point improvement on TRIO v3’s previous high score. One loss, Vercellae, requiring two replays.

Went balls-out on the infantry skills: at L34 these guys were GM3 anti-inf and GM3 protection from inf, with zero cavalry-specific skills. Bought my very first anti-cav before #54 Aquae Sextaie. Despite this they lost very few points in comparison to other builds at the horse-heavy #38 Cannae and #39 Dertosa, and gained significantly at #49 Arausio.

Squeaked through GIANTS first time (which was the main purpose for my anti-inf obsession) but tripped up at Vercellae; won by five seconds at the third attempt. The clock at Vercellae is looking to be the real IRON MAN killer. This was the *only* lost battle.

Interesting score trajectory. From #46 Avignon onwards there was a ~1000pt swing in TRIOv5’s favour when compared to the highly balanced alternating anti-inf/cav purchases of the first two TRIO attempts.

A good chunk of this swing – over 400pts – was from #60 Divo onwards. I’ll walk you through it!

Having lost the IRON MAN I allowed myself some fun with a HERO UNIT and some losses over the last nine battles, knowing that all nine are essentially unlosable.

DIVO: heroes hide in the woods, obviously.

ALESIA: I aim the heroes, in offensive formation, straight into the middle of the opposing horde. Result (at fourth attempt) as follows...

PHARSALUS: hero offensive hold on the scrubby margins of the beach (which is my regular tactic)

NICOPOLIS/ZELA: even my heroes can’t win these alone, so the other guys get a look-in

AFRICA: back to just the heroes. First time I’ve tried this, and it was a first time win. Simply walk them onto the ridge and the entire opposition cavalry force with be broken in melee. Just 18 casualties. Would have had GM2, possibly GM3, protection from cavalry at this point, but no ‘stand firm’ and no ‘missile protection’.

THAPSUS: legate distracts elephants, heroes slam into target, all over for 2 casualties.

MUNDA: heroes lurk in woods and (offensively) smite everything that comes at them for 10 casualties, while legate takes out enemy archers.

PHILIPPI: heroes take just 13 casualties in seeing off the opposition; again while legate takes out archers (second attempt; first time around the legate failed to rout archers within time limit). The heroes have master missile protection by this point, which seems to make a real difference (ranged armour of auxilia with A8 is 27; master missile protection takes it out to 47) . As previously mentioned, it’s possible for my equally-brave-but-slightly-lower-level heroes to find themselves routed purely by pila.

So... nine battles, seven of which required the use of just a single unit of troll paladins. I mean auxilia.

I think that answers the question re RPGing?!

Yeah, auxilia are overpowered even if you take no interest in scoring and therefore discount the ‘half price healing’. In the open, they stand up to cavalry (in particular) and heavies better than they have any right to. In rough terrain, opposing cavalry and heavies are doomed.

It does seem counter-intuitive that three auxilia without archer support can take fewer casualties than three auxilia with archer support. After all, if all everything goes right, those archers will a) kill 20-30 or more enemy each, and b) suffer zero casualties while doing so. But with every TRIO victory, the TRIO are progressing a little bit further beyond the three aux in a larger army, and are becoming a little bit more stabby and stab-proof.

From GIANTS onwards the absence of archers starts to hurt (see 'bonus content' at end) but not as much as it should. And prior to GIANTS the more advanced progression of auxilia skills and equipment more than makes up for the lack of missiles.

I think the problem stems from play-testing. Given the sheer volume of Slitherine games, there won’t have been thousands of hours poured into identifying possible exploits. The two ‘kill general’ battles where the enemy leader isn’t the target suggests there weren’t even hundreds of hours spent in play-testing. It’s only obsessives like you and me (possibly just me, now?) that will discover this sort of stuff.

It would be less of an issue if there were a few more battles that force the auxilia out into the open, although in late game a TRIO unit is an absolute juggernaut regardless of terrain: hero-ing the Siege of Alesia, for example, really shouldn’t be possible.

I really don't wanna sound bitter, in fact I'm totally not bitter at all
You sound bitter :-)

I guess that the main reason is the post-battle experience bonus. It is such a huge boon to the few units that they get out of hand and proportion really fast. I doubt that this results would be possible in the old patch.
Have got no basis for saying this, but I think it’s more the division of *earned* experience points between a limited number of units that makes the difference. If there are 300 kills up for grabs, then three units killing 100 each obviously progresses them faster/further than six units with 50 kills each. Although the experience gained from killing a ‘L5 Heavy Infantryman’ is significant for an L1 auxilia, but minimal for a L40 auxilia.

Not sure what conclusions (heh) can be drawn from these Conclude the War results (just pressed 'go', no thought of scoring). Other than that Legion Arena appears to be incapable of dividing 875 (the experience figure on offer that you see in the battle set-up screen) by 2/3/4. Oh, and that a single aux gives a 'cheaper' victory than 2/3 aux...

No idea about the patch, because I’ve been playing with this patch forever. The patch obviously neuters archer progression; do you think auxilia actually got a boost from it?

So maybe a lo-pi run on next weekend?
Go for it! I’d definitely recommend a crack at a five or four unit aux-only run too, in preparation for your own TRIO!

BONUS CONTENT!

Wrote the following but can't make coherent sense of the 'lessons' it contains, although it basically reinforces things we already know about the power of the aux...

I’ve completed five BRIO TRIO campaigns, and I’m comparing the stats with my last five ‘three aux, three archers, one aux cav’ campaigns. TRIO games benefit from a semi-scummed start (from campaign #2 onwards) which gives them a head-start by #16 Conclude the War. But the final five SEVEN games benefited from lessons learned over the course of a dozen earlier attempts with the same build; the TRIO was a ‘cold start’.

TRIO average final score was 1,144,974; SEVEN was 1144,357. That’s 617pt difference; take away the 246pt head-start and the TRIO are 371pt better between battles #16 – #68.

Between #16 Conclude the War and #46 Avignon, the SEVEN are ‘cheaper’ in just nine battles.

The battles in this sequence which the SEVEN do best are Messana (average heal 143pts vs 216pts = 73pts cheaper). Dertosa is 38pts in favour of the SEVEN, Bagradas and Etruscan Treachery are high 20s, the others are marginal.

Cannae is interesting. I’ve always thought it was a case of ‘auxilia desperately hold up the cavalry while the archers bail out their arses’. In actuality, the presence of four decent archers in my campaign saves an average of 13pts (111 vs 124). And this is the only battle where auxilia have to stand up to a significant cavalry force in the open.

The five big swings in the TRIO’s favour are Pydna (116pts), Aggreigentum (96pts), Sentium (69pts), Cyno (67pts), and Cisalpine Gauls (61pts). The basic rule at this stage of the game is that ‘tougher auxilia outperform weaker auxilia plus archers’. Aggreigentum also benefits from being able to pack the TRIO into the rocky area; it doesn’t surprise me that Messana is the battle where the TRIO perform worst, because there simply isn’t the terrain for them. They can reach the central lateral ridge, but will *always* spill out onto the open plain in mid-battle.

Avignon is the high-water mark for a TRIO: they trudge off the snowy fields a whole 900pts up on their SEVEN counterparts.

Battle #47 is GIANTS. This battle is (as I might *just possibly* have mentioned previously) a bit of a nightmare for a TRIO. Average heal is 311pts, versus 228 for a SEVEN. It’s one battle where the archers really are missed!

Between #47 GIANTS and #68 Philippi, the TRIO are ‘cheaper’ in just six battles.

So... after #46 Avignon the TRIO are 900pts up. After GIANTS it’s 817pts. After Philippi it’s 617pts. So a neat 200pt drop in the final 21 battles.

The worst is #63 Nicopolis - a 103pt dip (269 vs 166). My very best TRIO effort was 235 points, still way off the SEVEN average. Trying to hold in the rough can get perilously close to a defeat; have taken to lining up the skirmishers from the left and charging, which takes heavy casualties but (so far) has never looked close to an actual loss.

Other than GIANTS and Nicopolis there are no significant swings in ‘normal’ battles: 43/41/34pts in favour of the SEVEN at A Small Victory / Alesia / Zela; nothing more than 14pts in favour of the TRIO. It’s just a regular drip of ‘excess deaths’ for the TRIO. The ‘abnormal’ battles are Aquae Sextaie and Thapsus. I now know exactly who to target, which I’m not sure was the case for both battles when I was playing the SEVEN. The TRIO are therefore an aggregate 122pts better than the SEVEN from these two.
moj
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by moj »

Have just completed TRIO v7. Final score 1,145,915pts, so we're edging towards the 1,146k mark.

TRIO v6 took three attempts at GIANTS but won Vercellae first time. TRIO v5 won giants first time but two goes at Vercellae. I think I'm doomed to alternate between winning/losing these two forever, and always be one battle short of an IRON MAN. v7 also managed to time out at Adys (makes a change to 'zero minutes remaining' wins); Cypsela (got too clever trying to boost the score of my weakest auxilia); and End of the Dream (a hero unit can be *too* strong; had it broken a little earlier then the gladiator scum would have made it back to the woods in time to be slaughtered).

On the upside, v7 did achieve a zero heal Magnesia!

I've some hope for a new strategy at GIANTS: the archer-killers coming in from the left vector in a little differently, and as they're chucking their pilae at the central archers they retarget to the archers in the right hand corner. You then get one of those ugly, stretched-out melees where your unit is in two places at once. But if you can get an auxilia unit into the rough in the top right corner then they're untouchable.

My actual wins at Vercellae were comparatively easy: all the static opposition units decided to come at me, and consequently I had 20+ minutes left on the clock both times. But I can't find a reliable way of triggering the enemy to join the fray.

Still trying to get my head around the ebb and flow of scoring comparative to other attempts at various points in the campaign, but both v6 and v7 went down the 'everything infantry' route: GM3 anti-inf and GM3 protection from inf, with the first anti-cav coming at Level 35. This seems to be The Way.
Aleksandr

Post by Aleksandr »

Wrote the following but can't make coherent sense of the 'lessons' it contains, although it basically reinforces things we already know about the power of the aux...
Still trying to get my head around the ebb and flow of scoring comparative to other attempts at various points in the campaign, but both v6 and v7 went down the 'everything infantry' route: GM3 anti-inf and GM3 protection from inf, with the first anti-cav coming at Level 35. This seems to be The Way.
I've started another run with my now-classic build of 4 Aux, 4 Arch, 1 Aux Cav, and was pretty disappointed, and I abandoned the run in the middle of the Celts and Pyrrhus minicampaign. I'm more and more suspicious of the archers, and I start to consider them being a trap. Prety much it does seem counter-intuitive that three auxilia without archer support can take fewer casualties than three auxilia with archer support. After all, if all everything goes right, those archers will a) kill 20-30 or more enemy each, and b) suffer zero casualties while doing so. But with every TRIO victory, the TRIO are progressing a little bit further beyond the three aux in a larger army, and are becoming a little bit more stabby and stab-proof.
I really don't know what to make of the experience. I could have used just a two archers as a tiny auxiliary force, but then I'm losing their power for not much of a gain except for some bowmen support for exposed units and/or counter-archers duty. But this doesn't seem powerful enough to even bother. It's either full-archers+full-pincushions, or... or what exactly? As much as I adore your Trio results, I'd love to try something different.

I think the problem stems from play-testing. Given the sheer volume of Slitherine games, there won’t have been thousands of hours poured into identifying possible exploits. The two ‘kill general’ battles where the enemy leader isn’t the target suggests there weren’t even hundreds of hours spent in play-testing. It’s only obsessives like you and me (possibly just me, now?) that will discover this sort of stuff.

It would be less of an issue if there were a few more battles that force the auxilia out into the open, although in late game a TRIO unit is an absolute juggernaut regardless of terrain: hero-ing the Siege of Alesia, for example, really shouldn’t be possible.
Yep, that's precisely the point. I'm not even mad at Slitherine, they made an amazing game that I enjoy for years. Even the lack of playtesting is understandable, they surely didn't have time and personel to try and test every silly build that would nobody seriously use back in 2004, and of course there will never be a patch for such an old game. I just feel... idk... sad, maybe? Because if the army building, the inf-cav-miss balancing, items-vs-units Denarii managment, if all that boils down to "buy three dudes, rek da sheet...", then I'm kinda demotivated. I know that I should be glad that you've found the best build, and I could use your knowledge in my next attempts at either Iron Man or new personal best, but instead of that I'm rather... hm... not exactly frustrated, but lets say mildly let down.

Because - I may once again sound bitter - we went from a tactical wargame to roleplaying game to first person shooter. That's weird. And of course, I could be playing the game in my own way, but right now I honestly don't even know what IS my way. Full-pin, hunt for the record? No-pin, rpg? Or some lo-pi middle ground, preferably Iron Man? Idk...

I seem to need a pause. That may be the most appropriate explanation.
moj
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by moj »

Aleksandr wrote:I just feel... idk... sad, maybe? Because if the army building, the inf-cav-miss balancing, items-vs-units Denarii managment, if all that boils down to "buy three dudes, rek da sheet...", then I'm kinda demotivated.

Because - I may once again sound bitter - we went from a tactical wargame to roleplaying game to first person shooter. That's weird. And of course, I could be playing the game in my own way, but right now I honestly don't even know what IS my way. Full-pin, hunt for the record? No-pin, rpg? Or some lo-pi middle ground, preferably Iron Man? Idk...

I seem to need a pause. That may be the most appropriate explanation.
It’s possible to become ‘too good’ at pretty much any game if you’re obsessive. When I was 9-10 years old I conducted what was basically a ‘return on investment’ analysis for all properties in Monopoly, and from then on I won so often that my family stopped playing! If only I’d channelled that obsessiveness into something financially lucrative in later life...

12-15 years ago I also ‘conquered’ backgammon, knowing the optimal move in any situation. Which (like Monopoly) sort of sucks the fun out it, and (like Monopoly) you start focusing more on the negatives (bad rolls for yourself; good rolls overcoming ‘sub-optimal’ play for others).

Legion Arena, when you get to the point of knowing your initial positioning and subsequent movement/target vectors to within pixels, is similar. You know that you, the legate, have done all you can to maximise your score. It’s then down to good and bad rolls.

The only cure is to walk away for a few years and come back once you’ve forgotten those optimal placements and movements.

Starting to sound as though you’ve reached that point. I’m not quite there yet, but I’m getting close.

If you are ‘leaving us’ I’ll give you a parting FPS gift from TRIO v9's Ambush at Divo...

Aleksandr

Post by Aleksandr »

moj, you speak the truth, you hit the nail on head once again. It's exactly that, the fact that once we become too good at something, and once we're too obsessive about that, it sucks out lot of fun, and it may turn the GAME into a JOB or at least PROJECT. That's bad, really bad.

I've had this exact same thing about Magic: the Gathering, that went from an innocent and cool hobby into kind of a job/project/obsession that lost all the appeal. I was much more metagaming, nope, I was SOLELY metagaming, and I wasn't playing the game. Funnily enough, once you get into this state of mind or this position, there's no returning back. there's no way to return back to the land of small kids who summon unicorns simply for the joy of having a unicorn, you alyways and forever think in terms of effectivness, efficiency, efficacy and whatever other ef- words.

I think that I'm in the same place now with LA. I need to take a step back, and just enjoy the game for what it is, a game. But I also need to take a break and "git bed" again. :-)

Thanks for all the interesting and cool discussin we'e had here! I'll be back again in few months, years, or decades. :-)

Cheers... and nice result once again. Your legate is an absolute hero! :-D
moj
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by moj »

So... current TRIO high score is v8 on 1,146,445 (911 healed losses from a total of 1,018; coming in below the 1,000 casualties mark might be the next challenge!). Sadly I failed to note where the IRON MAN failed. The obviously troublesome battles all have ‘first attempt’ next to them. Think it *might* have been an inexplicably bad Cyno, where the two aux in the rough were broken and I timed out.

TRIO v9 was over 700pts down on v8. The difference in build was that I alternated anti- and protection skills; seemingly not the way to go, because I had to have a second attempt at 4-5 battles.

TRIO v10 reverted to anti-infantry to GM3 > protection from infantry to GM3 > anti-cavalry to GM3 > protection from cavalry to GM3.

And they only went and bloody IRON MANned it!

BRIO TRIO v10

Before #54 Crossing the Alps they were 110pts up on v8’s record score, but v10’s inexplicably heavy body count at this battle weighed against v8’s miraculous 7 fatalities gave a 175pt swing. Wasn't about to start chasing the score with the IRON MAN still at stake.

Adys was won with three whole minutes remaining on the clock. Cypsela by 15 minutes. GIANTs was 40 casualties (and a unit still standing in the river) significantly helped by the fact that this time the enemy archers actually ‘engaged’ with my legate. Vercellae was a 40 remaining minutes win: can’t work out why it was quite so rapid! End of the Dream benefited from my sacrificial auxilia collapsing quickly rather than eating up time.

The only buttock-clenching moment in the entire campaign was Bagradas: for some reason, in recent games, my legate has become suicidal. He charges into melee at the first opportunity, and it’s always touch and go as to whether an auxilia unit can bail him out of trouble. This time I managed to extricate him at around 25% of health.

Overall it was a curiously straightforward campaign. The Hero Unit was so ‘in the zone’ that I even allowed them to solo the final four battles.

Typing this it’s starting to feel a little anti-climactic. Next mission: a better IRON MAN score? A new non-IRON MAN high score? A sub 1000 fatalities score? Retirement?!

EDIT
Aleksandr wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:06 pm there's no way to return back to the land of small kids who summon unicorns simply for the joy of having a unicorn, you alyways and forever think in terms of effectivness, efficiency, efficacy and whatever other ef- words.

I think that I'm in the same place now with LA. I need to take a step back, and just enjoy the game for what it is, a game. But I also need to take a break and "git bed" again. :-)

Thanks for all the interesting and cool discussin we'e had here! I'll be back again in few months, years, or decades. :-)
If this really is au revoir then Avē Imperātor, it's been a honour to serve with you. Thank you for the chat and the sig!
Aleksandr

Post by Aleksandr »

moj wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:13 pm If this really is au revoir then Avē Imperātor, it's been a honour to serve with you. Thank you for the chat and the sig!
Thanks for your kind words, and see you in the future!
Cheers!
moj
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by moj »

And he’s back!

I think I’ve finally reached the point where I’m ready to hang up my gladius for a while.

Since my first TRIO IRON MAN (v10) I’ve completed another dozen campaigns. Four of those (four of the last seven, in fact) have also been IRON MAN runs.

The last run, TRIOv22, was both IRON MAN and new high score (by a whopping 20pts)...

BRIO TRIO v22

I think my boys’ tactics are now so finely honed that the difference between this 1,147,235 and a score 400pts lower is 95% down to luck. My campaign saved starting point is now #19 Claudine Forks so that’s 40 battles through to Philippi, or a mere 10pt per battle ‘swing’.

The ‘four casualties healing threshold’ is a major factor: TRIOv22 took 910 casualties in total (excluding Legate deaths, which I don’t record) versus the previous high score’s 888, but only 753 required healing (vs 757). Although I didn’t notice it at the time, I obviously got a lot more ‘2s and 3s’ rather than ‘4s and 5s’ in v22.

Time for some numbers, taken from the last ten completed campaigns, and covering battles #19 onwards...

Back on the subject of ‘luck’... the 10 casualties at Cisalpine Gaul was a real outlier, as was the 51 casualties at the same battle in my TRIOv22 record breaker (I’d have abandoned the campaign if I hadn’t had such a good start, including the nearly as improbable 11 casualty Vadimo Lake). The casualties from the battle for the other completed campaigns from the last ten were all in the range 21-30.

That’s the most extreme example of a fluke outcome, but nothing I did earned that 10 casualty result. Equally, I don’t think I did anything to deserve the 51 casualty result; every melee was on the terrain of my choice, etc etc.

For laughs I worked out a ‘virtual save scum’ score using the best result from each of the last ten campaigns. The total casualties would be 595, giving a score of 1,148,025 before accounting for the non-heal deaths (which I can’t be bothered to calculate).

Most exciting revelations from recent games:
  • Claudine Forks, Messana, and Nicopolis are all offensive battles!
  • The wedge formation, despite what the stats say (the attributes look inferior to disciplined offensive) is really effective at Philippi (just charge your heroes down the middle for a 6-8 casualty win). Also strangely effective when used as a holding formation in the woods at Munda.
  • The square formation is utterly useless in any situation.
  • There is absolutely no discernible pattern to whether or not skirmishers/archers will deign to melee with your legate, or will simply keep firing away as you cut them down.

Aleksandr wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:31 amWhat's next, Twin Freaks? :-D
Well... I think I’m ‘done’ with the BRIO TRIO... my gut feeling is that TWIN FREAKS could (given multiple attempts) win every battle with the exception of GIANTS, if there were no time limits in place. I don’t think Adys is remotely do-able with just two units; Zela would be very tight; Cyno probably has enough time but seeing off the Macedonian army then advancing on the archers is a tall order...

I think 2x aux inf and an aux cav might stand a chance?

Hmmm...

Special bonus content from an unrecorded campaign in which I was testing the limits of the HERO UNIT. I’m 99% sure it’s Sambre River.

Aleksandr wrote:there's no way to return back to the land of small kids who summon unicorns simply for the joy of having a unicorn
Aleksandr

Post by Aleksandr »

For Jupiter's sake, this is insane... :-O
And I'm not only commenting the fact that you've casually broke the 1147k with what is essentially a meme build, but the sheer dedication AND the analytic work... wow! O_O

The ‘four casualties healing threshold’ is a major factor
I believe so, I guess there were quite some battles where just one casualty was a difference between clear score and 20 fame lost.

Back on the subject of ‘luck’... the 10 casualties at Cisalpine Gaul was a real outlier, as was the 51 casualties at the same battle in my TRIOv22 record breaker (I’d have abandoned the campaign if I hadn’t had such a good start, including the nearly as improbable 11 casualty Vadimo Lake). The casualties from the battle for the other completed campaigns from the last ten were all in the range 21-30.
If I were to read this three months ago, I'd wanted the stuff you smoke. :-D
11 casualty Vadimo Lake? More like "11 routed units" here! :-D
Man, I'd LOVE to see your playthroughs. And I wish that your F1 worked, your army reports must be pretty hilarious.

Most exciting revelations from recent games:
Claudine Forks, Messana, and Nicopolis are all offensive battles!
well... umm... yeah, sure, of course... I mean, why should I be surprised, you won the game with three dudes! :-D
tbf, Messana IS an offensive battle, but Caudine Forks? O_O Man, I'd really really LOVE to see your playthrough!

my gut feeling is that TWIN FREAKS could (given multiple attempts) win every battle with the exception of GIANTS
Yep, sounds just about right. Maybe you could win it after fifty attempts, but imagine the pain...
I think that either Giants or E.T. Reachery would stop you.

I think I’ve finally reached the point where I’m ready to hang up my gladius for a while.
What are your plan for Christmas? :-)

moj, I'm really glad that you find the game enjoyable, and that you try all this weird stuff AND that you have fun doing so. It's always a pleasure to read you AARs, and remember: even if this place may seem empty, I will always lurk and I will follow your story!

Cheers!
moj
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by moj »

Aleksandr!
Aleksandr wrote:tbf, Messana IS an offensive battle, but Caudine Forks? O_O Man, I'd really really LOVE to see your playthrough!
Each of my 'battle plans' comes from a starting point of protecting archers. The archers are long gone, but there are still battles where I realise I'm shielding something that's no longer there.

I guess my Messana *was* offensive in as far as I'd race a single unit up the centre/left onto the rough to intercept the wandering cavalry unit. But I was increasingly having problems meeting that cavalry on the rough, and even if it did then it would often get dragged off again chasing other units. If it goes smoothly it's a relatively cheap ~12 casualty heal, but it can also end in rout. And any points won this way basically accrue to just a single unit. Have recently started using a three man rush up the right hand side; it's easier to gain/hold the rough terrain there. Seems to be a little more expensive (~16 casualties) but a) the outcome is more predictable, b) everyone gets a few combat points at a time when I'm not looking for a single hero unit, and c) there's always the possibility of an 8/3/3 result (say) to bring the heal cost down.

Claudine Forks: previously mentioned I've historically played this in the centre rear rough rather than in the river. But I started experimenting with paddling in the river, and now have moved onto best guys in the river with the other two aux racing into the skirmishers from the extreme edges of the field. Brings the casualties consistently down into the mid-high teens rather than the twenties of my 'rough sitting'.

Nicopolis: another battle where I've recently discovered the joys of smashing up the left hand side onto the hills, rather than holding at the back of the screen and just 'taking it'. Conversely, I've gone completely the other way with Mulhouse: definitely 'cheaper' to settle down in the bottom left corner and soak it up.

Yep, sounds just about right. Maybe you could win (GIANTS) after fifty attempts, but imagine the pain... I think that either Giants or E.T. Reachery would stop you.
Well now... I've just completed TWO MEN AND A HORSE.

Final score a not too dreadful 1,144,560. Aux infantry ended up L59/53, and there were occasions where 2x 'superhero aux' scored better than 3x ''merely heroic aux': Cannae and Aquae Sextaie (both of which I was sort of expecting, and will replicate in any future TRIOs), but also Zela and a couple of others.

The aux cavalry had ill-defined war aims. They were originally bought to get me through battles which I thought were unwinnable with two units, and I should have made a more conscious effort *not* to use them from an earlier point in the game. They were present (but I believe unnecessary) at Magnesia, and their only engagement after that was involuntary during Crossing The Alps (hid them in a corner to get some 'attendance points', but they gained attention). They finished at a miserable L21.

Battles requiring multiple attempts:

#27 Vadimo Lake (4 attempts)
My now regular 'aux inf walk up centre rough'. Cav charged up left. In the first three attempts the cavalry initially suffered minimal losses while the two auxilia routed, at which point my cav would be swallowed up. In the successful battle (exactly the same initial positions) the cavalry routed early while the auxilia 'dug in' for a relatively comfortable win. I think this battle is winnable with a two unit army, given they'll have extra cash for weapons/armour. This was the only loss where the cavalry were present, so I suppose it's a possibility that the battle is simply 'too much' for two auxilia only.

#35 Adys (2 attempts)
This was the one I thought was closest to unwinnable with just two units; a three unit battle almost always stops the clock at 'zero minutes'. The cavalry were left in the toy box and both auxilia charged like hell down the middle. First attempt timed out by moments, second attempt got there. Zero minutes remaining, naturally.

#42 Cynoscephalae (3 attempts)
By this stage the aux were L28/L25, which isn't far ahead of a three aux army (in TRIOv22 were L27/24/24). Cavalry once again left at home. Regular 'walk to centre, kill lights and cavalry'. In a TRIO one unit would then avoid the mass melee and charge the archers; in this game the archer-bothering was left to the legate. First battle I'd beaten all melee enemy and the auxilia were perhaps 10 minutes short of reaching/killing the archers. Second battle was a rout defeat. Third battle I had just enough time for my aux to reach the archers. No idea if this will be regularly repeatable; might well be that my victory was a 1-in-50 freak triumph. In a proper TWIN FREAKS run the aux would be better equipped, and both would have Achilles' armour.

#47 GIANTS (3 attempts)
Again no cavalry. In the first two attempts both auxilia were in the river and crumpled suspiciously quickly while my legate tried (and failed) to engage the archers. Third attempt I tried a very old tactic of placing my lads on the lefthand rough; this time the archers (who had to move forward) *did* melee with my legate, and it was a 'comfortable' 44 casualty victory. Again, this could well be a 1-in-50 freak win.

#51 VERCELLAE (6 attempts)
Cav-less. Just time, time, time... also timed out in my first attempt at #52 Versuvius, but I don't want to talk about it.

#56 END OF THE DREAM (2 attempts)
Cav-less. Narrowly timed out on first attempt, but it could equally have happened to a TRIO and could easily be rectified by throwing both aux into the fray immediately.

#64 ZELA (2 attempts)
Cav-less. The L53 hero unit races to the ridge at the back of the map to meet the cavalry column, leaving just a single L49 unit to face the infantry on the ridge. In the first attempt I won both the melees but was perhaps 10 minutes short of reaching the archers. In the second attempt my legate (who obviously has all the gear by this stage) managed to rout one unit of archers, giving the aux just enough time to reach the second. And all for just 11 casualties.

So... the TWIN FREAKS is on.

EDIT: I *did* use cavalry at Etruscan Treachery, and very good they were too! I don't share your concern about fighting this one with TWIN FREAKS, but I'll find out soon enough...

even if this place may seem empty, I will always lurk and I will follow your story!
Watch this space!
Aleksandr wrote:there's no way to return back to the land of small kids who summon unicorns simply for the joy of having a unicorn
moj
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by moj »

Well, that answers the first question...

14-15 minutes left on the clock at point of victory. Surprisingly little difference in levels (L14/13 vs the last TRIO's L14/11/11) but W4/A5 vs W3/A3.
moj
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by moj »

TWIN FREAKS v1

1,146,605 = 879 healed deaths, from a total of 946. TRIOv22 was 753 healed deaths from 910 total. So my best TRIO body count, after weeks of 'developing' the three unit format, is just 36 casualties better than my first attempt at a two unit army.

It gets better! My TRIOs' 'lightly scummed' saved starting point is post-Relieve Neapolis, at which stage there are 53 healed casualties (from 107 total). The TWINS had to fight the first 18 battles to get to the same stage, with 103 healed casualties (from 129 total). So from #20 Claudine Forks onwards the totals were 776 heals from 817 casualties for the TWINS, and 700 from 803 for the TRIO.

So... in the final forty battles the first ever TWINS were a grand total of 14 deaths 'worse' than the best TRIO. Which makes sense considering there isn't any battle were having only two units forces me to do anything 'silly'. The actual score will always be lower than a TRIO's because there are only two opportunities for a <4 casualty 'free heal', however.

From #19 Claudine Forks onwards, the TWINS took fewer casualties than the *best* result in my last ten TRIO games at Arretium, Malventum, Cannae, Zama, Magnesia, Cypsela, Pydna, Noreia, Aquae Sextaie, Vercellae, Granacus, and Nicopolis. Took more casualties than the *worst* TRIO at Sentium, Vadimo Lake*, Asculum, Trebbia, and Arausio. Which makes me wonder if TWINS should actually be taking fewer casualties than a TRIO.

*Vadimo Lake is an interesting one; having played TWO MEN AND A HORSE and this TWINS campaign, it seems to be the one battle where I really *want* a third auxilia unit. The two units seem to suffer significantly higher casualties than three.

Multiple attempts were:

#35 Adys (5 attempts)
All four failed attempts were by moments; the win was by the traditional zero minutes.

#41 Zama (3 attempts)
My fault for over-equipping my Legate earlier in the game than usual! I charge him into the static heavy infantry in the top left corner, where he's supposed to die relatively quickly and bring the unit to me. In the first two attempts he fought far too hard, and by the time he'd fallen there wasn't enough left on the clock for the heavies to reach my auxilia. Third time I fired the Legate earlier. Problem solved. A very tidy 17 casualties; had either of the earlier battles not timed out it would have been single figures.

#51 Vercellae (2 attempts)
Just a question of time; second run was completed with 2 minutes left.

...and that was that. Cyno, GIANTS etc were all pretty comfortable; Zela was down to two minutes. The defeat at Zama was 'operator error', and I'm sure Vercellae can be 'worked out' to give at least a 50-50 chance of victory, which just leaves Adys looking like a crapshoot.

Whisper it, but the TWIN FREAKS is IRON MANnable.

A final observation: the difference in level progression between two and three units is less than you might think. At #33 Aggreigentum, for example, the TWINS are L21/20 compared to the TRIOv22's L20/19/18. There's a significant difference, however, in equipment. By #44 Cypsela both TWINS are maxed out at W8/A8 + Achilles. It takes the TRIO until #56 End of the Dream to reach the same level. However... between #44 and #56 the TWINS drop 60pts against the TRIO score, and takes a couple more casualties.
Aleksandr

Post by Aleksandr »

I look forawrd the day when you finish the game with only the Legate! :-D
This is wonderful. :-)
moj
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by moj »

Aleksandr wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:54 pm I look forawrd the day when you finish the game with only the Legate! :-D
But that would be SILLY, Aleksandr.

TWIN FREAKS v2

New high score, 75pts up on previous best TRIOv22 (although they have homines ferrei on their standard). 820 casualties, 738 heals.

My excitement is tempered by the fact that I shamelessly scummed the first eighteen battles for a new saved starting point, and consequently this and future FREAKS will start #19 Claudine Forks 120pts up on the TRIO at the same stage.

Exactly the same three losses as FREAKSv1 – Adys, Zama, and Vercellae – with the first/third taking more reruns to resolve. At Zama I sent my Legate to the top left static heavies early, but this time he really dug in and must have survived close to 90 minutes.

Vadimo Lake is definitely unique in that two auxilia get hammered in a way that three auxilia do not. This time around one unit was routed to such an extent that Legion Arena couldn't decide whether it was completely wiped out, or had a single survivor! This was an immediate 270pt swing vs TRIOv22, and 130pts vs FREAKSv1. I had a look at half a dozen previous games and couldn't find any 'worst casualties' number higher than 40.

I think declaring a unit that's fought down the very last man to have been 'routed' is a little harsh, personally.

Aleksandr

Post by Aleksandr »

I think declaring a unit that's fought down the very last man to have been 'routed' is a little harsh, personally.
That's genius! :-D
Nice result, gives me a biot of an itch to play again... :-)
moj
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by moj »

Aleksandr wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:22 pmNice result, gives me a biot of an itch to play again... :-)
Do it, Aleksandr, do it...

...or don't. It really is the most ridiculous time-waster and I've got so many better things to be doing than playing TWIN FREAKS v3 and v4 in the space of 24 hours.

TWIN FREAKS v3 + v4

80 battles with two defeats, and 100 chiselled off the death toll in a single campaign! TWIN FREAKS really does appear to be the PEAK evolution of auxilia army. And to think not that long ago I was doubting whether the game could be won with five auxilia...

Regarding the three 'problem battles' from v1 and v2:

#35 Adys
The solution is to wait until your auxilia are truly enveloped in the centre, then target them at the two skirmishers which hang back. This doesn't necessarily make the skirmishers join the melee until they've chucked all their chucky things, but it definitely makes them join the melee more quickly. In one of the battles I targeted too early, before one of the aux was completely 'engulfed', and got the 'flag floating in space and men twitching left/right across half the field'. Looked scary, but I'm not sure it made any difference to the actual fighting.

Both won with zero minutes on the clock, but virtually every iteration of this battle ends up at zero minutes.

#41 Zama
21 and 22 casualties. I've never been good at the 'using legate to wake up static opposition' trick – nine times out of ten he'll end up in melee with them – so my tactic here has been to send my legate straight into the sleepy left hand heavies around midway through the battle. The difference with the TWIN FREAKS legate is that he's a bit more experienced/equipped than he is in campaigns involving more units, and will hold up the heavies until there's insufficient time for them to kill him and advance. Solution: send him in much earlier!

#51 Vercellae
Solution appears to be to send the legate up the right and into the heavies sitting outside the woods; these guys *will* kill the legate in a more timely fashion. In v3 it was a comfortable 20 minute win. In v4 it was zero minutes. Identical tactics both times.

Zama should be winnable 99% of the time; I suspect that both Adys and Vercellae are still toss-ups against the clock.

So... the losses...

#65 Africa (FREAKSv3)
The IRON MAN had already been 'won' and we were on a victory lap. Approached it with a single L59 auxilia, who charge the skirmishers on the central ridge in offensive formation, and stay there to meet the tsunami of cavalry. It's a time-honoured 20-25 casualty tactic (aux have Ajax's banner and are within the legate's ring of happiness so routing isn't an issue).

This time around the legate managed to edge himself nearer to the frontline each time a cavalry unit broke, until he was leading from the front and managed to get himself killed. Heartbreaking!

#40 Illipa (FREAKSv4)
Not sure what happened here. My boys slant in through the woods while the legate runs around the top to melee the archers. What *should* happen is that the elephants, having rumbled down the pitch, turn round and meet one of my aux in the woods while the other aux cleans up the top right corner.

This time around the aux which should remain in the woods self(?)-targeted something beyond the woods and joined with the other aux, and the game timed out with a mass melee in the open with the elephants still on the field.

What went right in FREAKSv4?

There were a couple of battles where amended and/or properly executed tactics made a difference. I stemmed the flow of blood at Vadimo Lake: for some reason a defensive hold in the centre/left rough is considerably cheaper than a defensive charge from the same position. 19 casualties vs 36/46/62 in first three FREAKS. At Cannae I've been trying to achieve the same, basically inexplicable, magic under that one left hand tree for many games now, and this time it worked. Entire cavalry charge dealt with in 'forest' for 9 casualties, when it's usually a 30-45 casualty mismatch in the open.

But generally it was just that the usual 5-25pt swings went mostly in FREAKSv4's direction, and not experiencing the traditional 'one or two battles which for no apparent reason are 100pts more expensive than usual'. My biggest/costliest casualty count was 32/160pts at End of the Dream, which I think is very likely a 'record low high'. And not a single rout, which usually adds 10+ 'excess' casualties to the tally.

Edit: further to above 'costliest battle = 160pts', the following was comparing FAB FOUR and FAMOUS FIVE costliest battles. How times change!
moj wrote:Costliest battles: A Small Victory (405), Magnesia (365), Vadimo Lake (310), Cyno (305), Vercellae (285) vs Nicopolis (515), A Small Victory (480), GIANTS (440), Magnesia (435), Pydna (385)

And with that I'm done. Taking at least 4-5 days off to do some real life things.

Return to “Legion Arena & CoM”