Battle of Leipzig - Scenario Summary

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

shadowdragon
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Battle of Leipzig - Scenario Summary

Post by shadowdragon »

The previous posts are 6 scenarios based on the fighting on 16 October 1813. These are:

1. The Austrian attack on Lindenau to cut-off Napoleon's escape route: viewtopic.php?f=196&t=38188
2. The Austrian attack to to secure crossings on the Pleisse River, and outflank the French right wing in the south: viewtopic.php?f=196&t=38254
3. The Prussian / Russian attack from the north (Mockern), which prevent Napoleon from concentrating on the Army of Bohemia (the southern battle): viewtopic.php?f=196&t=34476
4. The attempts by both sides to outflank the other army to the east of Liebertwolkwitz: viewtopic.php?f=196&t=38503
5. The western half of the main battle to the south (Markkleeberg to Wachau): viewtopic.php?f=196&t=38564
6. The eastern half of the main battle to the south (Wachau to Liebertwolkwitz): viewtopic.php?f=196&t=38625

The French Reserves:
Not included are a number of French forces around Leipzig that didn't take part in that day's fighting. These were:

III Corps - Souham (skilled - even if he did spend the whole day marching around to no effect)

8th Division - Brayer (competent)
1 small average veteran light infantry unit
1 small average veteran line infantry unit
1 small average conscript line infantry unit
1 small average drilled artillery unit
1 medium artillery attachment
1 skirmisher

11th Division - Ricard (skilled)
1 small average veteran line infantry unit
2 small average conscript reserve line infantry units
1 small average drilled artillery unit
1 medium artillery attachment
1 skirmisher

Corps Reserve (one unit to be assigned to each of the above divisions)
1 small average drilled French chasseur unit
1 small Baden Light Dragoon unit

III Corps = 562 points

Young Guard Cavalry - Nansouty (exceptional)

1st Division - d'Ornano (skilled)
1 small Berg lancer unit
1 small Dutch lancer unit
1 average drilled Berg horse artillery unit
1 officer attachment

2nd Division - Lefebvre-Desnoettes (skilled)
1 small Young Guard lancer unit
1 small Young Guard chasseur unit
1 small Young Guard grenadier & dragoon unit
1 Guard horse artillery unit
1 officer attachment

Young Guard Cavalry = 592 points

Old Guard Infantry Division - Friant (skilled)
2 small Old Guard grenadier units
1 large Old Guard chasseur unit
1 large Old Guard hvy artillery unit
1 hvy artillery attachment
1 med artillery attachment
1 skirmisher
1 officer attachment

Old Guard Infantry = 515 points

You can ignore these or use them to balance play if the French players are less experienced than the Coalition players.

Alternatively you can use them to reinforce the above scenarios. In which case I suggest that you play the scenarios in the above order making a decision to commit some or all of the above reserve divisions to a given scenario. The divisions in a corps can be committed to different scenarios. Once a division is used in a scenario it cannot be used in a later scenario. Also, if a reserve division is used in a scenario the victory conditions change....the French is now the attacker and has the objective of defeating the enemy force (terrain objectives are ignored). However, the conditions on page 74 change - a major French victory is still a major victory but all the others drop by one level in favour of the Coalition (i.e., a moderate French victory is only a marginal victory; a marginal French victory is a draw; a draw is a marginal Coalition victory; etc.). This is to reflect the French using their reserves while there were substantial Coalition forces closing in on Leipzig from the north and east.

Conditions for activating reserve divisions: A reserve division can only be used to reinforce a scenario after all of the French off-table reserves for that scenario have entered the table. In addition, the French Old Guard infantry can only be used after all of the other (III Corps and Young Guard cavalry) divisions have been committed to battle.

Finally - the points and number of units (French versus coalition) summary for each scenario:

1. Lindenau: 880 vs 1,108 points; 14 vs 21 units
2. Pleisse River: 612 vs 564 points; 8 vs 10 units
3. Mockern: 1,558 vs 1,820 points; 25 vs 28 units
4. East of Liebertwolkwitz: 1,540 vs 1,704 points; 25 vs 28 units
5. Markkleeberg-Wachau: 2,762 vs 2,888 points; 39 vs 42 units
6. Wachau-Liebertwolkwitz: 2,756 vs 2,886 points; 37 vs 35 units

Total: 10,108 vs 10,932 points; 148 vs 162 units

French Reserve: 1,669 points; 21 units
rclaydon10
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: Battle of Leipzig - Scenario Summary

Post by rclaydon10 »

Hi Shadowdragon,

I would like to run your scenarios at Huzzah Con. May 3-5, 2013 South Portland, ME I'm too new to this forum to post a link.

Using Black Powder rules so the army list will be a bit different but the idea is to run all the scenarios at once and be able to move troops between adjacent tables with the city in the middle that the French can move through.

Rich.
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

rclaydon10 wrote:Hi Shadowdragon,

I would like to run your scenarios at Huzzah Con. May 3-5, 2013 South Portland, ME I'm too new to this forum to post a link.

Using Black Powder rules so the army list will be a bit different but the idea is to run all the scenarios at once and be able to move troops between adjacent tables with the city in the middle that the French can move through.

Rich.
Good luck with your project. Posting a link is fairly straight forward. Here is a link to the Slitherine Table Top Forum...you just copy the http address and paste it into the text of your post.

What you would have pasted is "viewforum.php?f=163", which will appear as the link below when you submit the post:

viewforum.php?f=163

Cheers
rclaydon10

Post by rclaydon10 »

Huzzah!

Historical Wargaming for New England
May 3-5th, 2013
South Portland, ME

Return to “Historical Scenarios, Maps, and Orders of Battle (OOB)”