Artillery

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

canuckgamer
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Artillery

Post by canuckgamer »

Artillery is the most powerful weapon on the battlefield in Panzer Corps 2, maybe too powerful The manual on page 42 reads as follows:

"On the offensive they provide powerful attacks from long range although most of the damage they do is suppressive"

Our experience is that artillery destroys a lot of strength points no matter what the unit is or the terrain it is located in.

We had an example of that in our PBEM game of Iskra. The Germans had an 11 strength infantry unit in a Sinyavino which is a city. After 5 Russian artillery bombardments it was reduced to 5 or 6 after which a 3 strength Russian infantry unit attacked and the German infantry retreated out of the city.

Similarily Moskovskaya, a town had a German infantry of about 13 (going by memory). Last turn the same attack formula was utilized and the surviving infantry retreated after a Russian infantry attack.

Defensively long range artillery make it impossible to attack even when it is something like a Tiger tank attacking a T-34.

In every scenario we've played the artillery is the key unit on the map because of their range and killing power. I realize that in this game there is a lot of abstraction but the impact of artillery certainly does not match what is in the manual.
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: Artillery

Post by Grondel »

canuckgamer wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:43 pm In every scenario we've played the artillery is the key unit on the map because of their range and killing power. I realize that in this game there is a lot of abstraction but the impact of artillery certainly does not match what is in the manual.
As long as artillerie is below 3 stars ur observation is wrong. As soon as artillerie goes 4 stars+ they get out of controle.
Assumptions for ur example:
artillerie is all 15cm, infantry is Pioneer/Engineer
U are attacking with 5 artillerie(20 core slots)and 1 infantry(4 core slots) against 1 Infantrie(4 core slots)
Thats 24 core slots attacking and 4 defending. If that would not devestate the defender, the game would be no fun at all.

A trait that would get them back in line would be a diminishing returns that reduces accuracy with range. -5%/-10%(this would need some testing) per hex fired would get the in line without making them useless with low experience. It would even raise the usefullness of the 7.5cm which is barely used in vanilla conditions.

sers,
Thomas
canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

Actually all the Russian artillery in the Iskra scenario are 2 stars. They start the scenario with the following:

Four - 203 mm M1931 - range of 5
Four - 152 mm M1938 - range of 3

We have pretty well played all the multiplayer scenarios and will have to go back to find if any of them have 4 star artillery but the 2 star ones in Iskra are as I indicated the the most lethal weapon the of the Russians.
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

canuckgamer wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:05 pm Actually all the Russian artillery in the Iskra scenario are 2 stars. They start the scenario with the following:

Four - 203 mm M1931 - range of 5
Four - 152 mm M1938 - range of 3

We have pretty well played all the multiplayer scenarios and will have to go back to find if any of them have 4 star artillery but the 2 star ones in Iskra are as I indicated the the most lethal weapon the of the Russians.
starting with world war I artillerie has been the most deadly weapon in a full scale war up until today. i don´t see ur point.

sers,
Thomas

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”