Panzer Corps 2: Frontlines - Bulge Campaign Path and FAQ

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Panzer Corps 2: Frontlines - Bulge Campaign Path and FAQ

Post by bebro »

Panzer Corps 2: Frontlines – Bulge

Frequently Asked Questions

bulge_cam_path.jpg
bulge_cam_path.jpg (985.58 KiB) Viewed 2889 times

What is this about?

This is a US campaign depicting the Battle of the Bulge aka the Ardennes offensive. As such it centers around the late German attempt to win back the initiative on the Western front by launching a major offensive into the Belgian Ardennes, a sector thinly defended by US troops. The campaign covers roughly the weeks from mid-December 1944 to mid-January 1945.

How does it differ from previous content for this game?

Aside from playing the US, the campaign offers a more focused look at a single operation. In larger campaigns the whole Battle of the Bulge would often be presented as a single map, now we broke it down into a series of scenarios that depict key stages of the entire operation.

How many battles are included in Bulge?

The campaign has 12 scenarios overall, the longest path is 9, due to the various alternatives available. There are no specific alternative routes or fixed paths. At any given choice you can select freely from both available options, regardless of earlier choices. The last choice is merely a skip-option to either play the Bure scenario, or to move to the La Roche one right away.

How difficult is this campaign?

Players who aren't used to battling highly effective German late-war equipment may be somewhat surprised, but seasoned players should be able to cope.

The campaign starts with a small, easier map, in order to familiarize players with the concepts and context. Some of the ensuing battles can be very challenging, especially in higher difficulty settings, but there are also choices in the campaign path between easier and harder battles to further affect the experience of difficulty.

How historically accurate is it?

Like other Panzer Corps content it is not meant to be a die-hard simulation, and things like “accuracy” or “realism” will always remain debatable, because games are - per definition - always abstractions.

However, all maps in this campaign are rather detailed, and we think they depict the historic situation at key points of the Battle of the Bulge in a satisfactory way. All scenarios are based on battles that were fought indeed within the circa 4-5 weeks the campaign is covering.

Isn't the timeframe way too tight to depict the Battle of the Bulge in this way?

Sometimes we only depict key stages of certain battles, because many engagements happened almost simultaneously when the German offensive began. To deal with this, some early scenarios represent only one day of combat, or even less. The timeframe gets somewhat less tight as the campaign progresses. However, even late scenarios usually only cover a few days.

Isn't it rather unrealistic to redeploy your core units to various different locations in such a short time?

It is, but while year-long campaigns make large re-deployments between battles more feasible, there is really no way that a certain force is re-deployed constantly to fight in every major battle of the war, like it is possible in longer, even linked campaigns. That has always been a gameplay element to offer players an interesting campaign, and that's done here as well.

How are weather and terrain?

Weather in mid-December 1944 was initially not too cold, but very foggy, hindering air operations. Early in this campaign you will often encounter rain or snow to limit air power in a similar way, only later in the campaign conditions for air operations improve. Terrain-wise early maps are a randomized mix of dry, muddy or frozen ground, but soon it will be all winter settings.

Why are there quite many Aux units in some scenarios?

Usually these units represent forces that should be there historically. They may be a certain help, but they also may suffer quite a bit. In general, they do not win the campaign for you – the player’s core units have to make the difference.

What are those AI-controlled Allied units for I see on a few maps?

These units usually hold parts of the map that were controlled by the Allies, but did not participate directly in certain battles. They are mostly added for flavor and play no active role, serving as blocking force at best.

What's the deal with those green mines?

Pre-placed land mines belonging to the player's alliance show green counters to tell them apart better, especially in a zoomed-out map view.

Why are there no rewards to grant me Tigers and Panthers?

We decided against this, not only because it would be rather ahistorical, but gameplay-wise the whole point of making non-German content would be moot if you get a constant stream of strong German units anyway.

So what rewards can I expect then?

Prestige rewards aside, players receive at least one randomly generated hero in almost every battle, plus a few bonus heroes at certain points.

Additional core units can be earned by achieving secondary objectives or come sometimes as free gifts. Those rewards are mostly not meant to be super units, their biggest advantage is that they come with more experience. Still, towards the end of the campaign players can get a few rare or otherwise unavailable and pretty strong units.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Panzer Corps 2: Frontlines - Bulge Campaign Path and FAQ

Post by bebro »

This is a slightly revised FAQ thread for Bulge that was originally in the beta forum, now public. We may still edit it further.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

No Comment.
Last edited by Kerensky on Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Yeah, I definately had a look into the AO FAQ thread before...why re-invent the wheel? :)
heinz1803
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by heinz1803 »

Bought the DLC to support the developer team. Now please start a

Allied Operation Campaign.
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Retributarr »

heinz1803 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:06 pm Bought the DLC to support the developer team. Now please start a

"Frustration!!!"... is what many are experiencing as "You-Are"... with this situation, however!... other than voicing our discontentment... what else is there to do but to exercise "Patience". Keep broadcasting your message... it may just help to get things moving.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

heinz1803 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:06 pm Bought the DLC to support the developer team. Now please start a

I'd be all for it, but I'm not aware on any decision pro or con regarding this, so let's see.

I would not call it Allied Operations, as AO is ref'ing Axis already. But that's cosmetics, of course.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Reinstated FAQ text after temporary removal.
canuckgamer
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by canuckgamer »

It says 1-8 players and traditional pbem++. So does that mean I could play all 12 scenarios pbem with my friend?
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Bulge is a single player campaign. To my knowledge there are no official MP campaigns, only scenarios.
Retributarr

Post by Retributarr »

canuckgamer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:19 pm It says 1-8 players and traditional pbem++. So does that mean I could play all 12 scenarios pbem with my friend?
TRY Look-At... Hearts of Iron #4: I haven't yet played it... but am considering getting it. It will be complicated to learn the "Mechanics" of playing the Game... and to start with "Difficult". This Game can either be Single-Player or Multi-Player.

HOI 4 TUTORIAL ```3 1/2 Hr.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRqKwIB8OJc

TUTORIAL-UPDATE ADDITION:
Hearts of Iron 4 Tutorial 🔴 How to Play HoI4 in Under 40 Minutes Guide
VIDEO URL: https://youtu.be/xl76NrDw27s

Videos Page:
https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=+Hearts+of+Iron+IV+store+page&mid=185BC2B0DAE351D8F4A2185BC2B0DAE351D8F4A2&FORM=VIRE

7 Great Tips to Improve at Hearts of Iron 4
Source Web-Page:
https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=%20Hearts%20of%20Iron%20IV%20store%20page&mid=CF92C3482185CEAE831CCF92C3482185CEAE831C&ajaxhist=0

40 Minute TUTORIAL Video URL:

https://youtu.be/ek5b5n4Vfho
canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

Well the DLC description is somewhat misleading since it is only single player. Not sure what the 1-8 players and traditional pbem++ is all about. Regardless, thanks for the reply.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

My guess is the MP info was taken over from the main game, where it is possible to have all that, depending if a particular MP map is set up for it. Sorry if it led to confusion here.
uncajerf
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by uncajerf »

bebro wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:44 pm This is a slightly revised FAQ thread for Bulge that was originally in the beta forum, now public. We may still edit it further.
I trust it will be edited -- IMO rather poor grammar, etc. Do you have no editors to proof your stuff? :roll:
uncajerf

"Artillery adds dignity to what otherwise would be a vulgar brawl." -Frederick the Great
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Well, I'm not a native English speaker, so I'm sure it's not perfect.

However, one poster was so kind to provide improvements, which I did work in now -- kudos Garb :)

If anyone still find probs I happily take the blame for those.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”