Wargame Campaign Manager

Got a great idea for a game - why not post it here!

Moderator: Slitherine Core

wilf12358
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Wargame Campaign Manager

Post by wilf12358 »

Hi Slitherine!

I've asked the question on TMP, but though it worth enquiring here also.

I would like to see software that could be used to to provide a framework for creating tabletop gaming opportunities withing the context of a wargame campaign arc.
Use the PC to moderate the campaign but resolve the battles on the tabletop.

My wish list (in no particular order):
Custom map generation (historic/fictional) - movement by hex, node, or area movement;
Multiple factions/armies;
Army builder (perhaps importing FoG army lists?);
Political alliances;
Online/LAN/PBEM access by each faction – no need for a moderator;
Fog of war visibility;
Some form of resource management/supply chain/logistics;
Not rule/period specific – DBA, FOG, Grande Armee, FOW, heck even GW warhammer/40K;
Battle resolution on the tabletop;
Input results to calculate & implement effects.
Repeat until strategic objectives are met & winner/s declared!

My brief Google research has highlighted partial solutions, but nothing particularly elegant or complete; Aide de Camp, Vassal, Berthier, Zuntzu, battlegroundsgames, racing spider games' Campaigner, etc.

Potentially such a wargaming software tool could be used by anyone across the wargaming hobby?
I would certainly buy it!

Cheers,
Wilf
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

These type of thigns always sound cool but in practice you're selling to a very limited audience so the economics rarely add up. The only way I can see it working is if an existing engine canbe adapted to support it. We've not got anythign close enough right now that would work but something to keep in mind for the future.
wilf12358

Post by wilf12358 »

My first impression was that Slitherine would be well positioned, given your existing portfolio?
You seem to have all the building blocks.
If such software were flexible and elegant, then it would enable users to run campaigns across a range of gaming interests.
I game a range of periods and theatres - from ancients, Nap land/naval, WW1 naval to WW2 aerial, sci-fi skirmish/space fleets, fantasy.
If it were flexible enough to create campaigns for all, I would cerainly use it more than all other PC wargames I've bought in the past.
I guess its down to market potential....

Cheers!
Wilf
giff

war game campain

Post by giff »

I have 4 15mm FoG armies and Iam makingmy own campagin as we speak and it hard and I would so love some software to do all the grunt work for me. :(
CSO_Talorgan

Re: Wargame Campaign Manager

Post by CSO_Talorgan »

You'd think that Advanced Tactics Gold would go some way to satisfy this requirement. It is marketed as a wargame construction kit; don't know about wargame campaign manager.
CSO_Talorgan

Post by CSO_Talorgan »

The other option would be a hex version of Berthier. Wonder if Hexographer will evolve in that direction.
mainsworthy

Post by mainsworthy »

I think one called Guns of august, I think I have seen a naplionic one once
jamesalan
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by jamesalan »

wilf12358 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:49 pm Hi Slitherine!

I've asked the question on TMP, but though it worth enquiring here also.

I would like to see software that could be used to to provide a framework for creating tabletop gaming opportunities withing the context of a wargame campaign arc.
Use the PC to moderate the campaign but resolve the battles on the tabletop.

My wish list (in no particular order):
Custom map generation (historic/fictional) - movement by hex, node, or area movement;
Multiple factions/armies;
Army builder (perhaps importing FoG army lists?);
Political alliances;
Online/LAN/PBEM access by each y9 faction – no need for a moderator;
Fog of war visibility;
Some form of resource management/supply chain/logistics;
Not rule/period specific – DBA, FOG, Grande Armee, FOW, heck even GW warhammer/40K;
Battle resolution on the tabletop;
Input results to calculate & implement effects.
Repeat until strategic objectives are met & winner/s declared!

My brief Google research has highlighted partial solutions, but nothing particularly elegant or complete; Aide de Camp, Vassal, Berthier, Zuntzu, battlegroundsgames, racing spider games' Campaigner, etc.

Potentially such a wargaming software tool could be used by anyone across the wargaming hobby?
I would certainly buy it!

Cheers,
Wilf
Hey Wilf, your idea for a Wargame Campaign Manager sounds incredibly ambitious and exciting! The comprehensive wish list you've put together, from custom map generation to fog of war visibility, really covers a lot of ground that could revolutionize the way tabletop campaigns are managed and played. I especially like the emphasis on versatility across different rules and periods, which would make it a universal tool for the wargaming community. I share your enthusiasm and hope that such a software solution becomes a reality. It indeed has the potential to be a game-changer for hobbyists and serious gamers alike!
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Game Ideas”