A private team event - Byzantines v Hungarians

Moderators: rbodleyscott, kronenblatt

GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: A private team event - Byzantines v Hungarians

Post by GDod »

PeterThePainter wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:02 pm Sounds good to me. I saw a road sign yesterday saying this way to "Espanha", and given as I don't often see road signs with countries names on I am taking it as an instruction. Spain please.
Locked in Peter
Peters marching to a new tune.jpg
Peters marching to a new tune.jpg (40.23 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
Wonder if he's got a Roman or Carthaginian in his back pocket?
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Team event interest and suggestions moved to ... Team Event Biblical to Renaissance

viewtopic.php?f=365&t=108757
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

It tis with regret that our Brave Byzantine Boys of 1155-1204 under GDod have fallen to the Hungry Hungarian Hegemony-ists of 1155-1199 under the very competent GentlemanRanker. The byzantines were defeated by 49% -23% in the third round. I'm confident that my erstwhile enemy will give a full account, but needless to say our deployment and attack was not only uncoordinated but confused and executed piecemeal.
Byzantines fear their emperors wrath.jpg
Byzantines fear their emperors wrath.jpg (40.32 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
warrior230
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by warrior230 »

Warrior230 (hungarian) marginal defeat by Lascar (Byzantine) 64/57

Following a very close and hard fought encounter, that was in the balance for a large proportion of the game, I must offer my congratulations to Lascar, and thanks for a very enjoyable and exciting match. A sad day for the Hungarians, but the lads gave a very determined and well diciplined effort, and indeed, could have carried the day if a little more luck had gone our way!

Also, a very sincere thank you to Alan, for yet another wonderfull event, providing us with more enjoyable and exciting matches. your hard work is very much appreciated.
Looking forward to future events.
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by KiwiWarlord »

FoGM Event 1, Round 3 Result

KiwiWarlord of the Magyar's Hungarians (7%) defeats Fabian's Byzantines (49%)

Hungarians out manoeuvred the Byzantines and struck quickly forcing the Byzantines onto the back foot from which they never recovered.
FoGM Event 1 Round 3.png
FoGM Event 1 Round 3.png (719.5 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ahuyton »

My game with Peter has come to an end, with a very hard-fought tussle ending in Byzantine victory 64-41.

Peter brought a stern force of knights and horse archers to the field, while I took four knight units and supported them with massed bowmen and as many light cav as I could buy. It was a fascinating struggle with my bowmen and Varangian Guard managing to survive long enough to win the game. Very enjoyable game.
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

So this team event comes to an end with a 2-2 draw, matching the earlier rounds.

I hope that everyone enjoyed it and had fun with the two armies, which in the end were pretty well balanced despite their differences. I particularly enjoyed the Byzantine combination of infantry, light cavalry and knights, which I felt gave great flexibility. That did not stop Nick from wiping me out in Round Two however, and I think the Hungarians are pretty tough opponents, but they are more tricky to use successfully I suspect.

I think that we are all now playing in Gavin's event, so for the moment I will postpone any further team matches but am quite happy to come back to them sometime in future,
Last edited by ahuyton on Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterThePainter
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by PeterThePainter »

Congratulations on your deserved victory Alan. I think you are right about the Byzantines having the more flexible army, the Hungarians of this period are very much a cavalry force, with all the advantages and disadvantages that brings.

I would like to repeat Warrior230's thanks to you for organising the event I had three fun games and without your efforts in setting up the event I would not have had that experience.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

ahuyton wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:30 am My game with Peter has come to an end, with a very hard-fought tussle ending in Byzantine victory 64-41.

Peter brought a stern force of knights and horse archers to the field, while I took four knight units and supported them with massed bowmen and as many light cav as I could buy. It was a fascinating struggle with my bowmen and Varangian Guard managing to survive long enough to win the game. Very enjoyable game.
Alan, was the game after the changes to factors for knights when bows and crossbows became less effective and knights points increased by 2? If so, it may have favoured a force purchasing more knights and facing an army that has invested the difference in bowmen. I also notice the Byzantine Klibanophori have been reduced in effectiveness.
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Thank you Alan for getting this off the ground, very enjoyable and a learning experience being able to use the same army in straight games.
These games are so different from Pike & Shot that shell-shocked old codgers get a little hoisted with their own petard from time to time.
Looking forward to the FoGII Event 2 :D
Cheers
Brian
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Awesome effort Alan...I know how much goes into organising and managing these events.
Thanks for the chance to fight Alan.gif
Thanks for the chance to fight Alan.gif (137.56 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

GDod wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:35 pm
Alan, was the game after the changes to factors for knights when bows and crossbows became less effective and knights points increased by 2? If so, it may have favoured a force purchasing more knights and facing an army that has invested the difference in bowmen. I also notice the Byzantine Klibanophori have been reduced in effectiveness.
Gavin, most of the action was in the last week or two so after the (welcome) changes). Despite the reduced effectiveness of the bow against Knights, I was able to concentrate 6 MF bow, several LF bow and supporting LH bow so they were still pretty lethal. However, once the Knights get into contact the story is very different. And the other factor is the subjective one, I tend to be more competent with infantry than mounted - though not always, as Brian's recent French victory over my English longbowmen illustrates.

Thanks to all for the kind remarks. It is nice to have such a friendly group of players for these events.
fybyyn
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by fybyyn »

KiwiWarlord wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:46 pm FoGM Event 1, Round 3 Result

KiwiWarlord of the Magyar's Hungarians (7%) defeats Fabian's Byzantines (49%)

Hungarians out manoeuvred the Byzantines and struck quickly forcing the Byzantines onto the back foot from which they never recovered.
FoGM Event 1 Round 3.png
Certainly, everything went very fast... :? :D
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

It seems the world's gone green black and white and the pages have shrunk...This interface is horrible!
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

GDod wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:52 am It seems the world's gone green black and white and the pages have shrunk...This interface is horrible!
I agree..........!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval - Tournaments & Leagues”