What scale is BA2?

Forum for discussion of the next iteration of the BA engine. This time with a all new open development approach!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

What scale is BA2?

Post by PoorOldSpike »

A chap in the Steam BA2 forum says rifles have too short a range, what shall I tell him?
I think it's 200 yards per square, is that right?
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: What scale is BA2?

Post by PoorOldSpike »

This is what the guy at Steam said about BA2-
Liked it Until Noticed Battle Range
The range for firing seems ridiculously small. Like half a city block is too far to fire a rifle?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul59 just told me what the devs say below, and I've also posted it in Steam-

"The scale is abstracted. 1 tile range is intended to represent 50-100m. 2 tiles about 200m, up to 8 tiles at about 2km. This may sounds strange but it allows us to get the more subtle differentiations at shorter range without having to make ranges so high you cant see what you're shooting at on screen. This makes it very hard to give you a real ground scale. Maps can be 64x64 tiles at present but there is not really a technical reason they can't be bigger as far as I know but we didn't want to make missions like that.
----
Range
Say you have a Sherman and a Tiger. At 2 squares apart, they are close range. Their shots are more accurate and the chance of kill is good. At 6 squares, the accuracy falls and the armour value and type of gun/ammo determines the chance of a kill. At 8 squares the Sherman is out of range and the Tiger can still get a shot but with a low chance of a kill. Instead of needing 20 squares to represent 1000m, you only need 8-10. Like tree rings where the center ones are large and the outer ones are thin."

Return to “Battle Academy 2 – Eastern Front”