Arranging MP Game....Interested ?

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: Arranging MP Game....Interested ?

Post by devoncop »

RECRUITMENT FOR THIS IS NOW CLOSED

We have 12 players with a really good geographical spread so all human players will find at least one other human player not far away :D

These players are from a combination players using the Slitherine Forum and the Grogheads Computer gaming forum so I will be using both to keep in contact prior to the game start.

I am thinking of implementing a single house rule to ensure all players get a good run at the game and would appreciate feedback via a PM to me to see if other players agree..........

The proposal :

Human players can make co-operation treaties and non aggression pacts with other human players as well as agreeing to come to their military aid if they are attacked. However human players will not be allowed to join in offensive wars with other human players )...........................

My thinking is it will stop one player being ganged up on by several other human players who may have decided to parcel up their lands........(I know how nefarious wargamers are :D )

I look forward to receiving any feedback (positive or negative) on this idea via PM.

Cheers

Ian
loki100
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by loki100 »

I wouldn't to be honest. Ganging up, esp among the Diadochi is what they did, for temporary gain (eg the grand alliance against Antigonus) and then they split. Equally you might want this option if someone starts to really pull clear in terms of their legacy gains - there are a couple of factions well placed to do this in the early game.
Yaitz331
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Yaitz331 »

Maybe a "you can only gang up on great powers", with some definition of great power?
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

House Rule Decision :

Following several really useful messages of feedback on the proposed house rules including from more than one beta tester on the two forums players are drawn from the proposed house rule will not be implemented and standard game rules will apply.

Many thanks for the contributions and roll on release day :D
Asty
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Asty »

In general i don’t like house rules, and definitely not before the vanilla version gets a good run out.

So I approve
SpeedyCM
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by SpeedyCM »

I'd like to participate in this if it is not to late.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

I will PM you.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

Just a heads up for all players involved in this upcoming MP game :

The game will be played on "Balanced" setting.

No optional rules will be used given this is a "first attempt" for most.

Maximum 48 HOUR turns.

(The balanced setting means players will get some warning that civil war may be about to break out, and slaves have a 50% chance of being automatically redistributed around the empire from the capitol even without slave markets.

(Without this revolts are more likely given the concentration of very cheesed off slaves !)
Geffalrus
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Geffalrus »

devoncop wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:33 am Just a heads up for all players involved in this upcoming MP game :

The game will be played on "Balanced" setting.

No optional rules will be used given this is a "first attempt" for most.

Maximum 48 HOUR turns.

(The balanced setting means players will get some warning that civil war may be about to break out, and slaves have a 50% chance of being automatically redistributed around the empire from the capitol even without slave markets.

(Without this revolts are more likely given the concentration of very cheesed off slaves !)
So how will this work, exactly? The only multiplay I've done for these types of games have either been LAN games of Civilization V with my wife in the same room, or PBEM with FoG2. How does the time commitment work from a practical perspective?
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
SpeedyCM

Post by SpeedyCM »

Standard practice in this sort of thing would be to run the turn when all the turn files have been received or force run it after 48 hours if still waiting for any turns.
Of course I have not played in the beta so I don't know the actual mechanics of how the turns are processed and if it is even possible with the game to run a turn without all players having submitted their turns.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

That is exactly correct.

Same lobby system as FoG2.

48 hour turns..after the last player has played their turn the turn is played out or it happens at the 48 hour deadline if one or more players haven't submitted a turn.

If a player misses 3 turns the AI takes over their country.

There will be email notifications (if you have those switched on) when a turn is ready for you.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

So Gents....we now have a release date of Thursday July 11th.

Given most players will be working (though not me as I am happily retired ! ) it seems fairest to have a start date for the MP tournament of Saturday 20th July to give everyone time to get familiar in SP.

There will be a 48 hour turnaround for turns.

I plan to publish a regular intelligence and gossip sheet before the first turn and then every 3 turns thereafter from the state of the art Ptolemaic printing presses in the world renowned "Papyrus Spysheet".

This will cover the publicly visible major events in game such as declarations of war,conquests,collapses of governments etc as well as rumours and scurrilous gossip....

I will of course accept any bits of information (or disinformation) from other players for publication.

I have yet to decide whether to post this to each players inbox by PM or just post it on a new Empires Intelligence thread so none players can follow events.....

More to follow.....😉
Yaitz331

Post by Yaitz331 »

devoncop wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:16 amI plan to publish a regular intelligence and gossip sheet before the first turn and then every 3 turns thereafter from the state of the art Ptolemaic printing presses in the world renowned "Papyrus Spysheet".

This will cover the publicly visible major events in game such as declarations of war,conquests,collapses of governments etc as well as rumours and scurrilous gossip....

I will of course accept any bits of information (or disinformation) from other players for publication.

I have yet to decide whether to post this to each players inbox by PM or just post it on a new Empires Intelligence thread so none players can follow events.....
Ooh, I am so totally posting this elsewhere on the grand internets. Free advertising for FoG:E!
Yeah, do it on a new thread.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

Will do Yaitz...👍

We can keep the regular MP thread clear then for general game questions/ comments/ routine abuse of other players :mrgreen: etc....
Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos »

Is there still any place left for another player in the campaign?

It would be great to join the fray ...
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

(Good luck favours the brave)
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

Lysimachos wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:06 am Is there still any place left for another player in the campaign?

It would be great to join the fray ...

You have a PM :wink:
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

Yaitz331 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:35 pm
devoncop wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:16 amI plan to publish a regular intelligence and gossip sheet before the first turn and then every 3 turns thereafter from the state of the art Ptolemaic printing presses in the world renowned "Papyrus Spysheet".

Ooh, I am so totally posting this elsewhere on the grand internets. Free advertising for FoG:E!
The Judeans have a starring role in the first edition of the "Papyrus Spysheet" :wink:
Yaitz331

Post by Yaitz331 »

devoncop wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:24 am
Yaitz331 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:35 pm

The Judeans have a starring role in the first edition of the "Papyrus Spysheet" :wink:
Ooh, can't wait to see what that means.
Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos »

Hello guys!

The Mauryans are on board with all their elephants, chariots, archers and wonderful, mysterious women!!! :mrgreen:
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

(Good luck favours the brave)
jimwinsor
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by jimwinsor »

Lysimachos wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:15 am Hello guys!

The Mauryans are on board with all their elephants, chariots, archers and wonderful, mysterious women!!! :mrgreen:
Lysimachos isn't Lysimakos? :o
Streaming as "Grognerd" on Twitch! https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”