Just fired up the Adrianople epic battle -- wow. Any ideas for strategy?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
antiochosvii
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Just fired up the Adrianople epic battle -- wow. Any ideas for strategy?

Post by antiochosvii »

I only just opened it last night but I didn't have time to actually start it beyond the first two turns -- but...wow. Is it actually winnable as Rome? I figured I could do an about-face with the reserve cohorts and right flank cavalry, but not being able to move for TWO turns is...challenging. Accurate, depressingly so, but challenging.

I love how you guys have set it up but I must ask -- what are your strategies for winning this unwinnable battle? Can Valens be redeemed?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Re: Just fired up the Adrianople epic battle -- wow. Any ideas for strategy?

Post by Paul59 »

antiochosvii wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:15 pm I only just opened it last night but I didn't have time to actually start it beyond the first two turns -- but...wow. Is it actually winnable as Rome? I figured I could do an about-face with the reserve cohorts and right flank cavalry, but not being able to move for TWO turns is...challenging. Accurate, depressingly so, but challenging.

I love how you guys have set it up but I must ask -- what are your strategies for winning this unwinnable battle? Can Valens be redeemed?
It's actually not that hard! I won 23% to 40% on Emperor. It has custom victory conditions, you only need to be 17% ahead if my notes are correct.

Far harder was the Gothic version of the scenario, you have to keep losses below 4% and I forgot about that and even though I took the Romans to 60% losses I had 7% myself, so lost.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
antiochosvii
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by antiochosvii »

Interesting. How did you do it as Romans? Just let your cavalry on the right get annihilated while you get your infantry into position?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

antiochosvii wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:57 pm Interesting. How did you do it as Romans? Just let your cavalry on the right get annihilated while you get your infantry into position?
To be honest, it was over a year and a half ago, so I don't really remember. I probably tried to salvage what I could of the cavalry, and get my infantry into a defensive position as soon as they are released. I just remember it was surprisingly easy in the end, and I record all my results, so I know the final score.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.

Return to “Field of Glory II”