Increasing number of figures displayed

Cronos09
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Increasing number of figures displayed

Post by Cronos09 »

My version of this mod for the last version of the game:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vdJv2 ... 7MFamecWNJ
Thank to Pi_R for his formations in Callback.bsf
Installation: download all the Campaigns folder and paste it to C:\Users\(User's name)\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\. You can see the modded Epic, Custom, Quick battles and Campaigns (with increased number of figures) as well as the original ones in corresponding sections.
I made the following unit sizes:

Pikes - 16
Drilled Infantry - 12
Undrilled Infantry - 14
Light Infantry - 7
Elephants - 3
Heavy Chariots - 1
Light Chariots - 2
Massed Archers - 12
Cavalry - 7
Light Cavalry - 5
Artillery: 1

The multiplayer module of the mod: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kayWF ... PkHLeGRzQ3
Installation: download all the Multiplayer folder and paste it to C:\Users\(User's name)\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\. You can see the modded battles modules (with increased number of figures) as well as the original ones in Battle multiplayer section and the modded FoG II module (with increased number of figures) in Skirmish multiplayer section.
Mord
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Location: North of Innsmouth, Mordbunker HQ, Windham, ME, USA

Post by Mord »

Cronos09 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:42 pm My version of this mod for the last version of the game
Thanks very much for all the work you put into this! I was actually dicking around with it for a couple weeks and then drifted off and hadn't gotten back to it. I know how much of a time sink it can be. Good job!

I have a question for you. How come you did every individual Campaign? Couldn't you have just edited the Squads file (and Callback)? In my tests I just made a zip back up of the two original files and then put the modded Squads and Callback in the main game folder. So, in other words, technically all one needs to do is edit the Squads and Callback, the rest (Campaigns) is to avoid overwriting any original files? Or were there things in the Campaign folders that needed to be tweaked?

Again, thanks.

Mord.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Mord wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:55 am
Cronos09 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:42 pm My version of this mod for the last version of the game
Thanks very much for all the work you put into this! I was actually dicking around with it for a couple weeks and then drifted off and hadn't gotten back to it. I know how much of a time sink it can be. Good job!

I have a question for you. How come you did every individual Campaign? Couldn't you have just edited the Squads file (and Callback)? In my tests I just made a zip back up of the two original files and then put the modded Squads and Callback in the main game folder. So, in other words, technically all one needs to do is edit the Squads and Callback, the rest (Campaigns) is to avoid overwriting any original files?
You are strongly advised not to mod your main build. One reason is that any mod to the main build may mess up MP games. For reasons that I won't go into here (it has been detailed elsewhere), modding the number of figures in the unit certainly does mess up MP games, even if no error is reported.

Of course, if you are never going to play MP, this does not really matter, but never is a long time, and we have already had cases of MP games messed up because of people using modded numbers of figures in their main Squads file.
Richard Bodley Scott

Mord

Post by Mord »

rbodleyscott wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:25 am

You are strongly advised not to mod your main build. One reason is that any mod to the main build may mess up MP games. For reasons that I won't go into here (it has been detailed elsewhere), modding the number of figures in the unit certainly does mess up MP games, even if no error is reported.

Of course, if you are never going to play MP, this does not really matter, but never is a long time, and we have already had cases of MP games messed up because of people using modded numbers of figures in their main Squads file.

Yeah, I get that but I was just doing it as a quick test, no worries. I didn't have the time to learn how to do all the other parts to make them a campaign when I was messing with it. I don't play multiplayer. Hard to say if I ever will. It doesn't interest me. But I have it back to normal now. But if I ever do play multiplayer I'll make double sure I haven't done anything in the main build folders. I don't see that happening again anyway 'cause Cronos solved any further experimentation I would've pursued with his mod.

I was curious about making them into campaigns because I noticed after a battle with the altered Callback and Squads that a bunch of unit info disappeared in the custom battles. I was missing about 70 percent of the Egyptians and some others. It's all fine now, I just had Steam verify the files and it was fixed. It got me wondering if I missed a step and screwed it up because I didn't make it a campaign. Or there was a mistake in the files I edited.

Mord.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Another reason not to mod your main build, if you are using the STEAM version, is that your mods will automatically get replaced by the updated vanilla files when the the game is automatically updated by STEAM when we release a new game Update.

I am not entirely sure whether that will be all of the files or only ones that have been updated in the update, but either way your mod isn't likely to work any more.
Richard Bodley Scott

Mord

Post by Mord »

rbodleyscott wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:34 am Another reason not to mod your main build, if you are using the STEAM version, is that your mods will automatically get replaced by the updated vanilla files when the the game is automatically updated by STEAM when we release a new game Update.
Yeah, I'm good now. Cronos's mod will cover exactly what I was experimenting with. I'd love to see a version of the Table Top mod with bigger units. If nobody ever does it I may try that at some point but I'll learn how to do the campaign stuff first.

BTW speaking of unit sizes is there a way to increase dead bodies or are they tied to the head count of a unit?

Mord.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Mord wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:45 amBTW speaking of unit sizes is there a way to increase dead bodies or are they tied to the head count of a unit?
Dead bodies are the actual lost figures from the unit, frozen in the last frame of the "Die" animation. So if you increase the number of figures, you will automatically increase the number of dead bodies.
Richard Bodley Scott

Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

Mord wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:55 am
I have a question for you. How come you did every individual Campaign? Couldn't you have just edited the Squads file (and Callback)? In my tests I just made a zip back up of the two original files and then put the modded Squads and Callback in the main game folder. So, in other words, technically all one needs to do is edit the Squads and Callback, the rest (Campaigns) is to avoid overwriting any original files? Or were there things in the Campaign folders that needed to be tweaked?

Again, thanks.

Mord.
As you can see I copied-pasted all the Campaign folder to C:\Users\(User's name)\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\, and added the modded Squads.csv and Data/Battle/Scripts/Callback.bsf (together with $DEFAULT.BSF) into each campaign folder (AlexanderCampaign, AshurbanipalCampaign, BelisariusCampaign etc.). Then I changed each campaign name in TEXT1.TXT (e.g. IDS_CAMPAIGN_NAME, "Belisarius with increased number of figures",).
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Cronos09 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:04 amAs you can see I copied-pasted all the Campaign folder to C:\Users\(User's name)\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\
Presumably in fact to:

C:\Users\(User's name)\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\CAMPAIGNS
Richard Bodley Scott

Mord

Post by Mord »

rbodleyscott wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:59 am Dead bodies are the actual lost figures from the unit, frozen in the last frame of the "Die" animation. So if you increase the number of figures, you will automatically increase the number of dead bodies.
So a 16 count unit could technically offer 16 dead bodies (yeah, I know extremely unlikely). I figured they were tied to each other. So, basically a dead body is a percentage of a units total man power loss. Say 4 men equals 100, when 25 are lost 1 body is dropped. I was hoping that wasn't the case but I can live with it. I am just glad there are bodies. I enjoy reviewing the battlefields at the end of a scenario/battle in games to see where the most carnage took place. I do it all the time in Combat Mission and Total War. I missed having it in P&J and SJ.

Cronos09 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:04 am As you can see I copied-pasted all the Campaign folder to C:\Users\(User's name)\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\...
Gotchya, thanks.

Mord.
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

rbodleyscott wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:05 am
Cronos09 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:04 amAs you can see I copied-pasted all the Campaign folder to C:\Users\(User's name)\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\
Presumably in fact to:

C:\Users\(User's name)\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\CAMPAIGNS
I meant all the Campaigns folder (with all folders inside it: 0Hypothetical, 1Immortal_Fire, ect)
Mord wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:45 am
I'd love to see a version of the Table Top mod with bigger units. If nobody ever does it I may try that at some point but I'll learn how to do the campaign stuff first.
Something like this :)
Mord

Post by Mord »

Cronos09 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:05 pm Something like this :)
LOL. uhhhh...no. Make for a good David vs Goliath battle though.

So if you can enlarge them? Can you shrink them too?

Mord.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Mord wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:58 am
Cronos09 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:05 pm Something like this :)
LOL. uhhhh...no. Make for a good David vs Goliath battle though.

So if you can enlarge them? Can you shrink them too?

Mord.
Yes. There is a scaling factor in the UnitScaling column (BI) in the Squads file. Note that this is in thousandths, and a value of 0 is treated as 1000.

The reason why vanilla units have disparate scaling factors is that there is a problem with the model exporting software which means that we have not always been able to export the models at the same relative size.
Richard Bodley Scott

Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

I'd love to see a version of the Table Top mod with bigger units. If nobody ever does it I may try that at some point but I'll learn how to do the campaign stuff first.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wbjNG ... BIIsJ9-1RN Squads.csv with increased number of figures for TT_Mod V1.5.3 as a first approximation.
Mord

Post by Mord »

Cronos09 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:52 am Squads.csv with increased number of figures for TT_Mod V1.5.3 as a first approximation.
Thanks so much, my man! This is awesome!

I am in the midst of making a massive CM Shock Force II portrait mod but when I am done with it, I think I could figure out (using your mod as a template) how to package this into the Campaign format so it could be accessed from within the game. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. That was very cool of you.

Mord.
Last edited by Mord on Fri May 31, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mord

Post by Mord »

rbodleyscott wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:02 am
Yes. There is a scaling factor in the UnitScaling column (BI) in the Squads file. Note that this is in thousandths, and a value of 0 is treated as 1000.
Ah, yeah, I remember reading about this earlier (a couple months back) but I didn't quite understand it at the time because I hadn't delved into the files yet. I could see how that the program exporting at different sizes could drive someone nuts trying to scale everything properly.

Mord.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Cronos09 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:52 am
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wbjNG ... BIIsJ9-1RN Squads.csv with increased number of figures for TT_Mod V1.5.3 as a first approximation.
A word of advice: if anyone uses this modded Squads.csv for Multiplayer it will cause mismatches and errors if you play against someone using the standard version of the TT Mod V1.5.3.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
cdcool
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by cdcool »

Are you updating for Wolfs at the Gate?

Thanks!
steelwarrior
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by steelwarrior »

We need a version of this excellent mod that works with the new empire Field of glory battles ;-D
A Human Being
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by A Human Being »

Adebar wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:30 pm Ok, here it is:

The Small Mass Effect Mod

As described further above this mod changes almost all units' mancount value to achieve a more massive look for your armies.

Stats are the following:

Heavy and Mid Infantry: 12
Light Infantry: 7
Warbands/Pikes: 16 (unchanged)
Elephants: 3
Heavy Chariots: 1 (unchanged)
Light Chariots: 2
Aux. Archers: 8/12 (still undecided)
Cavalry: 7
Light Cavalry: 3
Artillery: 1 (unchanged)

The mod has its Pros and Cons.
Cons are: Higher FPS (I recommend to turn off 'idle animation' and set shadows to 'low'), lesser clarity about what's going on at the battle line ('Chaos of Battle'), 3D models of cavalry tend to overlap at certain instances. Pros: It looks nice. :wink:

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/b553ow619 ... s.csv/file

Installation:

- In the Game's main folder go to the 'Data' folder, there you'll find the Squads.csv file. Make a backup copy of this file!
- The file may be write protected. Change that by right-clicking on it/Options/unchecking the 'Read only' entry.
- Now put the modded file into the Data folder and let it overwrite the original one.
- Fire up the game.
- Enjoy it - or not!

Please note that the mod is only working with the vanilla scenarios/campaigns/skirmishes and custom content that doesn't use additional units in a modded Squads file.

Feedback appreaciated!
When I tried to play the Battle of Lechfeld this message appeared:

"ERROR

Failed to find squad type DA_CAV_PRT in map file
CAMPAIGNS/6WolvesAtTheGate/SCENARIOS/LECHFELD_G.BAM for
UNITS_0_3
(0)"

What could it be?
note: I played this battle before without this mod, I checked and Squad.csv is unchecked for reading.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Modding”