Erik's campaigns & mods

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Erik's campaigns

Post by Horst »

@Bru
I know, I shouldn’t be so lazy and use a paint program to better mark my trivialities on snapshots. :oops:
Yes, I replaced the original icon there. No idea why the US-Pacific campaign still works with the buggy icon though.

Throwing giant sandbags on enemy forces is indeed a comfortable way to solve undesired conflicts. 8)
Bobster66
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Bobster66 »

Quick Question.

When importing a German core into one of the later campaign, is there a way to get rid of the Naval commanders? They take up all my screen real estate when trying to select an air or ground commander.
Horst

Post by Horst »

US Corps: duh, looks like the "Check Unit Count" condition doesn't work for only aux-units! Core units can also make these "keep aux alive" objectives fail. According to my test, if you check the Core-box it still correctly works for only core units. I guess no box-check equals all then, what isn't necessarily a bug, just a imperfect feature?
There is no alternative condition to that, isn't it? Assigning AI Teams to identify only aux-units doesn't seem to work if human-controlled.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Horst wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:05 pm US Corps: duh, looks like the "Check Unit Count" condition doesn't work for only aux-units! Core units can also make these "keep aux alive" objectives fail. According to my test, if you check the Core-box it still correctly works for only core units. I guess no box-check equals all then, what isn't necessarily a bug, just a imperfect feature?
There is no alternative condition to that, isn't it? Assigning AI Teams to identify only aux-units doesn't seem to work if human-controlled.
It’s something I’ve been asking for a long time...
Horst

Post by Horst »

Well, okay, maybe it helps with my additional post in the bug topic.
The US has the advantage that we have another faction US Army or these Blue and Red teams, that can be used as extra faction for aux units only.
In Panzerkrieg, the aux units in the Demyansk pocket are also Kriegsmarine units which is quite silly too. It's only one of many examples. Geez, why has no official dude bother about this yet? It's so easy to add hundreds of additional factions but just another flag graphic and few lines in factions.txt.

USC42, 05Djebel:
- the primary should mention that you should capture and hold, so you know you have to wait until max turn to complete the scenario.
- Luftwaffe objective should immediately complete
- M24 (as reinforcement) is a 1944 unit
Horst

Post by Horst »

USC42, 06Tebourba:
- Luftwaffe commander Dietrich Peltz assigned to Panzer IIIN

This remembers me of the issue of SAS in canoes. If you can unlock commanders on invalid units, you can help players by auto-assigning them right from start, as long as these are new commanders.
It’s unfortunately not possible to remove existing commanders afaik. If you know the player has already access to certain commanders, you could remove it first and then unlock it again on desired units at scenario start.
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

Re unwanted commanders.
There's a minus sign on the commanders that will reduce the size of the commander list.
Unfortunately, you cannot assign a commander when in mini-size mode.
Horst

Post by Horst »

USC42:
- Dietrich Peltz seems to enjoy driving tanks in many scenarios instead of bombers

09Spring:
- tried this scenario first but unfortunatelly got an endless-thinking bummer on turn 6, so I abandoned the scenario for:

07Morning:
- 2x Me 410 in Feb/Mar 1943 with availability date of 23/6/1943? Spawning usually that late is pointless when the player is already busy combing the dunes for the 1-strength left-over desert foxes.
- 1 turn per day is too fast, ending the scenario on 6/3/1943, while follow-up Kasserine starts on 18/2/1943 again. Inf 43 becomes available on 24/2, so you can abuse the upgrade for repair during the scenario
Horst

Post by Horst »

08Kasserine:
- it’s not only in Kasserine, but in other scenarios too that many towed guns come without transport. This is generally plain implausible, especially in desert warfare, as long as it isn’t a warzone that has already suffered a lot of bombardment or is out of fuel
- what’s the WSS doing in the desert there?
- it was somewhat too easy to cut-off the whole panzer army on turn 7/8

09Spring:
I forgot to mention that it was weird to receive the whole collection of commanders during the scenario while you haven’t gotten a single one yet until 11Guettar taking the 07Morning route.
Not that I really miss or need so many commanders, but if the AI enjoys using the same commanders in each scenario then I want one or two as well.

11Guettar:
Here, you receive the whole staff of US commanders at once if you missed them in 09Spring. That’s not quite that enjoyable than earning single ones slowly along the road to victory.
McLeoudX
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by McLeoudX »

blondus wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:41 pm hi Erik, I'playing new britain campain and I apreciate it, but when I reach the main objectives they are not show... the only way to finish the scenario is to force victory.
thanks
I've played this campaign too, but there is a "Not winnable" bug in the third scenario "Talasea", so I can't proceed to the next one!
Even, if I had captured all winning points, it ends with a "draw", because one (Gasmata) was not shown as reached!
Attachments
Draw! wtf? All objectives are reached !
Draw! wtf? All objectives are reached !
20190428023154_1.jpg (512.09 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
There can only be one :)
bru888

Post by bru888 »

McLeoudX wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:56 pm I've played this campaign too, but there is a "Not winnable" bug in the third scenario "Talasea", so I can't proceed to the next one!
Even, if I had captured all winning points, it ends with a "draw", because one (Gasmata) was not shown as reached!
Erik, it looks like you inadvertently omitted the corresponding set of triggers for this objective. They would appear here, I would assume.

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (224.11 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
- Bru
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Quick comment re the US commanders in the US Corps campaign.

They are all assigned after the historical disaster at Kasserine to 'simulate' Patton replacing a lot of US commanders.
The US troops were pretty green at the start of their North African campaign, so these assignments also reflect their growing combat abilities.

Also, I'm not a fan of getting commanders as rewards, I like them to be assigned normally at the start of a campaign.
So, my decision :wink:
Horst

Post by Horst »

The main issue is that there way too many US commanders including inappropriate Marines one for the European theater.
I prefer lesser special units, as too many commanders make every campaign cheesy easy.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Just curious, how do you know which commanders are Marines?
I thought all the US commanders (names at least) were fictional? I'd be happy to remove those that are inappropriate.
And yes, I've watched with interest kondi's name/picture mission.
WarHomer
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by WarHomer »

The latest changes to Afrika Korps have had some unfortunate consequenses

I´m at mission 9 now (highest difficulty) and have more than 2500 prestige for both Germany and Italy. I´ve only done elite replacements and buy and upgrade whatever I like.

I think this might have something to do with all the added turns which in most cases aren´t needed.

What are you working on next, Erik?
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

WarHomer wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:59 am The latest changes to Afrika Korps have had some unfortunate consequenses
I´m at mission 9 now (highest difficulty) and have more than 2500 prestige for both Germany and Italy. I´ve only done elite replacements and buy and upgrade whatever I like.
I think this might have something to do with all the added turns which in most cases aren´t needed.
Does this mean that once you are sure to win, you wait for the last turns to finish the mission and therefore you benefit from the maximum resources per turn ?
Horst

Post by Horst »

True names of these commander pictures shouldn’t matter, but soldiers with sand-beach camo-cover helmets and the one in full jungle-green dress (possibly Marine Raider) are most likely USMC.

I think my issue shouldn’t be with the campaigns, but rather the amount of bonus stats you get by each commander. I don’t mind fighting commanders, but owning too many only unnecessarily drops the difficulty too much.
I’m already busy bumping down all bonus stats of commanders to a minimum to increase the overall challenge in campaigns. That’s just my personal impression while playing this game too much that no one else must share.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

WarHomer wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:59 am The latest changes to Afrika Korps have had some unfortunate consequenses

What are you working on next, Erik?
Noted. I will probably dial down the resource income pr turn for the Axis for a better balance. Some players asked for more turns, so somebody needs them :D

I am finishing revamping the US Naval campaign, fixing stuff and adding functionality.
After that I need to bring the Forgotten Army campaign up to speed after Bru's excellent CSI sweep. That's going to take quite a while...
When the final (?) reports of US Corps 42-43 have arrived, I'll deal with those issues.
Then I'll probably continue with the US Corps 43-44 campaign, just started that one.
Beta-testing OOB stuff on the PC or on my brand new PlayStation 4 (!) may delay proceedings though :wink:
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Let me know if/when you want another CSI Sweep and which campaign you prefer. I figure Germany West(1939-40) or Germany East(1941-42) but will take your preference, of course. I think the best situation in order to profit from a sweep is when the campaign is complete, not still in the development phase.

I wonder, since you mention it, whether our efforts will diverge when OOB comes out on console and if it varies significantly from a future PC version. I don't know about such differences and how it's going to work, PC vs. console, but I don't intend to ever play or work with OOB on console.
- Bru
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Erik2 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:02 pm Beta-testing OOB stuff on the PC or on my brand new PlayStation 4 (!) may delay proceedings though :wink:
I don’t see any Beta on the horizon :(
Did you buy a PS4 specially for the release of OoB WWII on console ?
Maybe OoB WWII will be VR Compatible on PS4 :wink:

sony_playstation_vr_4.jpg
sony_playstation_vr_4.jpg (57.43 KiB) Viewed 3043 times

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”