Random placement of Jap naval groups
Jap carrier withdrawal if things go bad
Dialed down Jap aggression levels

Midway:
Fixed objectives

I plan to give the rest of the scenarios the same treatment.
Link updated in first post.
wrongplanet67
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: US Navy Campaign 2.1

Post by wrongplanet67 »

Erik2 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:46 pm US Navy Campaign 2.1
Thanks for the fast reply!
Bobster66
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: Forgotten Army 1.0

Post by Bobster66 »

McLeoudX wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:02 pm
First: Thank you for the fast reaction!
Second: The fixing of the mission objectives works.
Third: But especially in the Gin-Drinker-Mission it seems to be impossible to get the goal without cheating!
There is much more money (More Income and more start money) needed, if anyone would have a chance, to win this.
And even than, it's still very hard to play!
I played the new Gin Drinkers mission and was able to get a Minor Victory. It's just a matter of a delaying action but I didn't defend the Redoubt.

Just for fun I tried again by sacrificing a unit in defense of the Redoubt. Yup, it was eliminated pretty quickly but I did seem to delay the assault just enough. At the end of the sixth turn I was lucky and still had a single unit of strength on the fortress. It was immediately captured at the start of the 7th turn, but it appears that was long enough as the objective was achieved.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Re: Erik's campaigns

Post by terminator »

kondi754 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:37 am Djebel Abiod scn

- M24 light tank in Nov 1942? I suppose this vehicle substitutes other one, which isn't in the game yet?
(M24 Chaffee wasn't introduced until November 1944 in ETO, the first use in a larger-scale in December 1944 in the Ardennes )
M24Chaffee.PNG
M24Chaffee.PNG (138.73 KiB) Viewed 3701 times
WarHomer
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by WarHomer »

Just finished US 42/43.

Overall great campaign and I cant wait for the next chapter.

I had to give myself an extra 400 prestige from the start, but after that it played like a charm difficulty wise (highest diff).

The first time you get to choose a path one of them doesn´t work properly. Unfortunately I cant remember exactly which as I just chose the other and pushed on.

Great campaign.
McLeoudX
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by McLeoudX »

McLeoudX wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:10 pm
Bobster66 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:03 am I gave Forgotten Army a try.

In Gin Drinkers Line, all of the reward units for holding the objectives are available from the start. All Primary Objectives have check marks as "competed" from the start except Kowloon and this doesn't change by the end of the scenario. Although I did manage to evacuate all my core units on my third attempt, the the count on the objective never changed and it didn't show as complete.

The Hong Kong scenario was as instant win, no unit deployment or anything. After the very brief "Briefing", a new objective popped up telling me to evacuate my forces, followed immediately by the Victory screen.

I look forward to giving this a try again when it gets ironed out.
Well, you took me the words right of my fingers :D
I had yesterday the same idea, and the same problems. Nearly all enemy units have been killed, and 4 units have been evacuated (why is this necessary, when I win the fight?). And the second mission (Rescue Hongkong) was an instant win, without a chance, to do anything, that was nice, but not really satisfying!

Greetings and thanks!
So, the next strange thing is the battle of "Slim River", which is unwinable!
Even, if I had win 4/3 winning points, I loose the battle! wtf?
And I have tried it more than one time , it's always the same. At least, it is very very unfair, to have a total air superiotity of the japanese air force. After 20(!) rounds I got my first spitfire (Yeah!) (lol). The Anti Air guns where always either dead or total exhausted . I have made screenshots on steam (Look for my real nick "McLeoud" (without "x", this was accidently.
Greetings !
There can only be one :)
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

I'm currently doing a CSI Sweep of Forgotten Army and there is an error in Slim River's "Jap 2 objs" trigger. This campaign is going to be fabulous but I must say, at this time, it needs a great deal of work. Erik is busy with other stuff and I believe he is waiting for me to finish my CSI Sweep before returning to Forgotten Army.
- Bru
Bobster66

Re: US Navy Campaign 2.1

Post by Bobster66 »

Erik2 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:46 pm US Navy Campaign 2.1

Coral:

I've just played up to Coral Sea but the objective to prevent any Japanese transports from entering Port Moresby never triggered as complete, even though I destroyed them all before they got close.

It was a really intense scenario though, and I liked it a lot.
McLeoudX
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by McLeoudX »

bru888 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:27 am I'm currently doing a CSI Sweep of Forgotten Army and there is an error in Slim River's "Jap 2 objs" trigger. This campaign is going to be fabulous but I must say, at this time, it needs a great deal of work. Erik is busy with other stuff and I believe he is waiting for me to finish my CSI Sweep before returning to Forgotten Army.
Ok, thanks for this information, I will keep an eye (or two) on it !
There can only be one :)
prattaa
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by prattaa »

Some feedback for Germany West(1939-40) campaign which I last played March '17.

Overall this was an excellent campaign. I was very pleased to see the road & rail links leading off map had been removed as supply points. This resulted in the AI using their own units more effectively and allowed me to pull of some nice enclirclements. I still think the Denmark and Norway scenarios are the weak points in the campaign, they might play better as stand alone scenarios but the PzC scenarios would fit better or just skip from Poland to France.

Some bugs:
Dunkerque - Capturing Dunkerque does not award the player a light cruiser as detailed but Neiuport did.
Stonne - Needs to be 4-5 turns longer. Lots of enemy units and not much remove to maneuver around them.
Wassigny - Missing an exit hex for Air/Land units.
Den Haag - I lost the SW airfield and when I recaptured it did not check the objective. I noticed later it said using paras so maybe that was the error if I didn't use paras to recapture.
Draw result - replayed the same scenario, maybe should be advance or defeat.
Bridges - You still love to trigger the AI destroying my bridges. Since I played previous campaigns I expected this and brought plenty of engineers but I could see how first time player would become frustrated by this. Maybe gift the player some engineers as a warning of what is to come.
Gebirgsjager '41 troops - several scenarios gave the player these troops but they don't exist yet in the timeline of the campaign.

For future improvement I would add some Waffen SS CP & RP as those units did play a small role in Poland & France. 3-5 CP to add 1-2 infantry units to the player's core & build experience. The campaign was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to '41 - '42. Thanks for your hard work on these campaigns. :D
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Erik, I am finished with Forgotten Army. Here is where we stand:

CSI Swept: Germany East 43
Germany West 41-43
Forgotten Army 1941-42

Next CSI Sweep: Germany West(1939-40) or Germany East(1941-42)?

As always, I take my cue from you. I am afraid Forgotten Army needs a lot of work and you may be busy with it and other current projects for a while. We do not want to burn you out with too much feedback at once. Therefore, I will not move ahead until you are done with those projects. Send me a PM if and when you are ready for me to do another CSI Sweep and let me know which campaign you would like me to work on.
- Bru
Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Horst »

Good work, Bru, as always! Your posts tend to make me feel dizzy when I scroll through your many screenshots. :P

@Erik
US-Corps 42-43 v1.0 8-4-2019:
No idea if it's my game again that is acting so strange lately, but the US Corps campaign totally lacks a spec tree for me. The core-flag already looks suspiciously wrong. No idea what could gone wrong there.
US_Corps_42.jpg
US_Corps_42.jpg (313.12 KiB) Viewed 3384 times
Forgotten Army:
I have only taken a quick look at the campaign to see if this is a naval-army mix, and noticed that you have placed (again) so many supply points on the map edges. Many of these impressive maps quite lack supply points in the middle that gets me worried that the AI goes nuts on the edges again, loosing focus where it belongs. Please add these points to the closest settlement/depot with flag. If it's something like a supply depot then please add a flag too. The Endsieg campaign already went the wrong way too adding too many supply-on-the-fly points on noname villages, so the AI could race through half the map behind my line with AA-vehicles without being bothered getting cut-off.
Every supply point should be flagged. That's important to make the fundamental supply-mechanic of the game with cutting-off feature work best.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Horst wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:08 am Good work, Bru, as always! Your posts tend to make me feel dizzy when I scroll through your many screenshots. :P
Yeah, I just hope that I'm not burning the guy out with all that feedback. Aside from the picayune spelling and grammar corrections (sorry, can't help it), I figure the stuff that I come up with would fit into two baskets: 1) Things that people will stumble across and report, necessitating the designer to revisit his work over and over so why not get it out of the way to begin with, and 2) Stuff that nobody is going to notice because its failure is not evident to the game player. That is what bugs me (no pun intended) because he intended something to happen that doesn't and therefore the experience is not as good as it could have been.
Horst wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:08 am @Erik
US-Corps 42-43 v1.0 8-4-2019:
No idea if it's my game again that is acting so strange lately, but the US Corps campaign totally lacks a spec tree for me. The core-flag already looks suspiciously wrong. No idea what could gone wrong there.
See here about the spec tree issue, particularly Erik's follow-up observation that it actually does work eventually. And no, I think the placement of the core-flag for the first scenario is intentional. "Formation" is like a boot camp which, of course, would be taking place in the States and so would be off-map. This is an interesting idea, the formation of an army and its preparation for subsequent battles. I long to sweep this campaign! (Sigh, I'm forever sweeping up after this man . . . :roll: ) Let's see what if anything he wants looked at next.
- Bru
Horst

Post by Horst »

There have been other vanilla campaigns with missing start-date which campaign-tree worked fine enough, so I don't think that's mainly the issue here. See my recent "Spec Dates" topic here.
viewtopic.php?f=374&t=91187
These original campaigns definitely worked without the entry, as we all know. Erik has already created so many other custom campaigns which all worked fine too, so that puzzles me. Isn't Forgotten Army the latest campaign? The spec-screen work there too.
I have lately messed around with the specs and tree a lot, and normally the tree-page should show up even if you don't set any scen/branch-dates correctly for the tree to work.
Okay, so you just need to follow the popup to go to the page which I normally don't do, as I prefer to make manual campaign-screen saves first before spending points.

Just take a look at the strange flag as core-graphic in my last snapshot. It should normally be round, cut-off around the circle. Maybe it's an indication that the game can't recognize the faction used and therefore can't provide a proper spec-tree. That still doesn't explain why you are sent to the US-tree by the popup. Ugh, the campaign-editor is bugged since day one, so why should I wonder? :P

PS: I've tried to correct some dates in "Branches" but it didn't work either. The campaign file possibly have to be created from scratch, preferably with help from a campaign-template that worked so far.
Last edited by Horst on Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

A couple of quick comments.

The first two boot-camp scenario in US Corps actually takes place in Scotland. That's why the icons are placed up north outside the campaign map.

Forgotten Army is/was actually my second attempt at a campaign. The scenarios are really old (pre official Burma campaign) and I just recently patched them together in a campaign. That's why this campaign is currently in a sorry state. I didn't know better :wink:
Horst

Post by Horst »

Okay, I've justed mentioned above as edit that you possibly have to recreate the whole campaign file.
No idea why you guys think I don't get it with the off-map indicators where the training is.
I'm talking about the messed-up flag on the bottom of the screen. :D
Horst

Post by Horst »

This is how the US-flag should show up as core-icon: ROUND! :shock:
US-Pacific.jpg
US-Pacific.jpg (304.95 KiB) Viewed 3330 times
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

CampaignFlags.JPG
CampaignFlags.JPG (246.23 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
Horst

Post by Horst »

I see. So the game picks this screwed up default flag instead of the one provided by the campaign folder. I'm glad I could fix at least this triviality. :lol:
US-Flag.jpg
US-Flag.jpg (312.35 KiB) Viewed 3319 times
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Horst, yes, sorry about that. I thought you were talking about the scenario locator on the floor boards. :oops: Thanks!

So I assume you copied this file,

Image0135.jpg
Image0135.jpg (146 KiB) Viewed 3295 times

renamed the copy "CampaignFlag_USA," and replaced the bad version in \Content\Graphics\Campaign\Flags?

Total non sequitur: That object in the lower left looks very much like one of two beige throw pillows that comfort my back and legs as I sit in my recliner playing OOB. Very comfy pillows; I love them.

It turns out, though, that Erik just happened to position a SANDBAG so that it looks like a pillow! Unintentionally, I assume:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (375.56 KiB) Viewed 3293 times

I prefer my interpretation . . . lazily reclining, head on that soft pillow, idly playing with my (unloaded) Colt .45 automatic, moving markers around on the map, imagining great and terrible battles and the glory to be won or lost . . . :wink:
- Bru

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”