When do you dismount lancers?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
kvnrthr
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

When do you dismount lancers?

Post by kvnrthr » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:56 am

The Belisarius DLC has a lot of options to dismount cavalry, which is pretty cool. I'm not sure how to use dismounted lancers though.

Since they're heavy offensive spearmen, my guess is that they might be able to protect bowmen and horse archers against lancer cavalry. But why not just use limitanii if it's a Byzantine list?

It seems that dismounting could potentially be useful against the Sassanids with their raw spearmen and elephants. I haven't tried that out yet though.

jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Re: When do you dismount lancers?

Post by jomni » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:48 am

I haven’t played a lot of these lists but I would dismount if the terrain is not good for cavalry. Or maybe when the opponent does not have a lot of horses. Lancers are good as anti-cavalry but not good against infantry.

kvnrthr
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by kvnrthr » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:59 pm

Unfortunately when dismounted they are undrilled heavy foot. So it won't help them avoid disorder in rough ground or forests.

MVP7
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by MVP7 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:24 pm

It is a bit unfortunate that dismounting option is only offered to armies that have been documented to do so which leaves out a whole lot of armies that would really benefit from it but are simply less documented. Pre-dismounted options being available to many lists that can dismount further reduces the value of the ability.

It's very good point that dismounted units being heavy foot kind of reduces the tactical value of the ability even further in many cases. Maybe the protected Noble Lancers could dismount as medium foot rather than heavy?

Paul59
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Paul59 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:21 pm

kvnrthr wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:59 pm
Unfortunately when dismounted they are undrilled heavy foot. So it won't help them avoid disorder in rough ground or forests.
Of course you would not put your dismounted lancers in rough terrain or forests! I am sure that is not what jomni meant.

On a battlefield with lots of rough or forest cavalry are severely effected, they are primarily offensive units that need to manoeuvre. The dismounted lancers are mainly defensive units, it is far easier to find some good ground on which to base a defensive line, even on maps that have a lot of bad terrain.

I think the value of Dismountable Lancers is really in SP campaign games. In a campaign battle you can decide to dismount your lancers or not, depending upon the type of opponent you are facing. If you decide to dismount them, you can always revert to using them as lancer cavalry in the next battle, if it is appropriate.

In the Belisarius campaign, I would always dismount them against armies with greater numbers of cavalry, like the Vandals and Ostrogoths. The dismounted lancers would combine with the Roman Heavy infantry to pin the enemy cavalry, and you can use your missile troops to shoot them to pieces.

They are probably of less value in one off SP or MP Custom battles. For those type of battle, if you need infantry you would just buy your normal infantry options, those are normally more cost effective.
Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, and Wolves at the Gate.

TT Mod Creator

vakarr
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by vakarr » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:17 am

I would dismount the lancers if faced by spear-armed heavy foot, as the lancers don't seem to bounce off them and the spear armed heavy foot have a better chance. How do you dismount troops anyway, and what happens to the horses? Can you dismount then remount? Or is it something you have to do during deployment?

melm
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by melm » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:28 am

vakarr wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:17 am
I would dismount the lancers if faced by spear-armed heavy foot, as the lancers don't seem to bounce off them and the spear armed heavy foot have a better chance. How do you dismount troops anyway, and what happens to the horses? Can you dismount then remount? Or is it something you have to do during deployment?
Player can only dismount during deployment phase. Once they are dismounted and game starts, you stick to these dismounted units with no option to remount.

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:03 pm

If you play with historical opponents, dismounting some of your lancers can be helpful:
1) in an era of mediocre infantry vs infantry power , some superior offensive spears can be very useful.

2) if you have a bunch of lancers, and your opponent has a bunch of lancers, neither side can easily achieve any local advantage. A few quality dismounts can pin by zoc the enemies lancers while you can concentrate you own elsewhere.

I usually only dismount the protected ones, the cost is too great for the return on the armoured ones imho.

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:07 am

Is the ability to dismount a freebie or does it cost extra points?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:07 am

vakarr wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:07 am
Is the ability to dismount a freebie or does it cost extra points?
It's a freebie, but of course the unit you get after dismounting would have been cheaper purchased as infantry. So that basically you are discarding some points by dismounting.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II”