Guille's PzCorps Support Base - Multipurpose Icons and more.

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

nono hard et heavy
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Guille's PzCorps Support Base - Multipurpose Icons and more.

Post by nono hard et heavy »

guille1434 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:10 pm An last, but not least, here is a special "extended area" skin file with the German SE units camouflage pattern, useful to apply when the base icon is larger than the 108 pixels high area that the regular skin is able to handle. It has a 147 x 148 pixel useful area. 8)
Hello Mr Guille. Thank you very much for your explanations and patience. I recognize that for large units, it's hard for me. Nevertheless, here is my first test for an SS unit: 10.5 cm leFH 18.
SS 10.5cm leFH 18.png
SS 10.5cm leFH 18.png (28.27 KiB) Viewed 3807 times
And the mask
SS 10.5cm leFH 18_Mask.png
SS 10.5cm leFH 18_Mask.png (10.77 KiB) Viewed 3807 times
nono hard et heavy

Hello Mr Guille. More success with the 21 cm Mrs 18. Tell me what you think about it. Do not take into account the indications under the images, so as not to deceive me. Thank you.
Icon and Mask
296 x 296 2.png
296 x 296 2.png (22.44 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
296 x 296 2_Mask.png
296 x 296 2_Mask.png (3.35 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
nono hard et heavy

Now, with SS camo and Wehrmacht camo. All that remains is to center the images.
296 x 296 2_02-SS Stock Camo big.png
296 x 296 2_02-SS Stock Camo big.png (23.49 KiB) Viewed 3748 times
296 x 296 2_02-Ger Artillery Greenish-b.png
296 x 296 2_02-Ger Artillery Greenish-b.png (22.46 KiB) Viewed 3748 times
nono hard et heavy

Finally, the 21 cm Mrs 18 (image 256 x 256 and centered) in 2 camouflages: SS and Wehrmacht. Yes. Thanks Mr Guille, now I understand.
21cm Mrs 18 SS camo.png
21cm Mrs 18 SS camo.png (19.15 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
21cm Mrs 18 Wehrmacht camo.png
21cm Mrs 18 Wehrmacht camo.png (18.33 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
guille1434
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by guille1434 »

Hello Nono:

I'm glad you are learning the techniques to make base units and mask files... I would like to make a suggestion though... Your icons looks somewhat blurred, the SE camo scheme applied tends to cover this somewhat, but still... This, I think can be caused by:

- Enlarging images from game map icons to make big units icons: Paint.Net and other image processing programs are Ok to downsize images, but in general, results are not good when enlarging them. I tried using a specialized software to upscale images (I found a program called "A Sharper Scalling", but it don't process very well the PzCorps icon images, requires some work to obtain a useful image and the results are not much superior in quality.

- Make sure to use Paint.Net with the antialiasing function off, this should help a bit.
2019-03-10 - Paint.net 4.0.17.png
2019-03-10 - Paint.net 4.0.17.png (145.22 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
My preferred solution is to look for (more or less) suitable scale models images in the correct perspective to use as a base for making big units portraits. For example, here is a big unit icon for the 10,5 cm leFH:
10.5cm_leFH18_Aty.png
10.5cm_leFH18_Aty.png (21.39 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
This is only a suggestion... Please don't take it wrong...

Greetings!
nono hard et heavy

guille1434 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:53 pm Hello Nono:

I'm glad you are learning the techniques to make base units and mask files... I would like to make a suggestion though... Your icons looks somewhat blurred, the SE camo scheme applied tends to cover this somewhat, but still... This, I think can be caused by:

- Enlarging images from game map icons to make big units icons: Paint.Net and other image processing programs are Ok to downsize images, but in general, results are not good when enlarging them. I tried using a specialized software to upscale images (I found a program called "A Sharper Scalling", but it don't process very well the PzCorps icon images, requires some work to obtain a useful image and the results are not much superior in quality.

- Make sure to use Paint.Net with the antialiasing function off, this should help a bit.2019-03-10 - Paint.net 4.0.17.png

My preferred solution is to look for (more or less) suitable scale models images in the correct perspective to use as a base for making big units portraits. For example, here is a big unit icon for the 10,5 cm leFH:10.5cm_leFH18_Aty.png

This is only a suggestion... Please don't take it wrong...

Greetings!
Hello Mr Guille. Yes, you're right, I always forget this anti-aliasing function. Damn function and damned memory of Bruno.
No, I don't take it the wrong way because your remarks, as a graphic designer, are always justified and constructive. Honestly, having your Icons and Masks file in my hands, I can't even match you. But I keep training to improve.
Good evening my friend and thank you for your advice.
Bruno.
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

Hello All:

I saw there was a request in another thread for infantry icons with armored transpor vehicles included. I also saw that Maguro uploaded an useful and very well made icon group of that kind of icons for various countries. I, also had the idea about doing similar unit icons, but my first try was to make a special icon for the Panzergrenadier units. Early in the war, this "elite" infantry was transported to the battlefield in Sdkfz 251 armored transports instead of the more common trucks (or just plain old "foot traction") for lesser equipped infantry units. The first Panzergrenadiers were incorporated to the 1st. Panzer Division, which was in 1939 the best equipped unit in the German army.

Because this unit would still represent an infantry unit, I like to give more accent to the soldiers figures present in the icon, and to put the transport vehicle in the background, looking smaller. As told, this was a "special" unit, so they would sport the SE/SS uniform/camo colours used in German SE units...

Here are the results, with two variants: a "vanilla style" Pz Grenadier icon (just infantry figures) and the new style with a Sdkfz 251. I hope you like them... 8)
Attachments
SE_PzGrenadier_39(alt).png
SE_PzGrenadier_39(alt).png (33.03 KiB) Viewed 3481 times
SE_PzGrenadier_39.png
SE_PzGrenadier_39.png (24.11 KiB) Viewed 3481 times
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

Also, while talking about Sdkfz 251 half-tracks, here is a unit pack for the big units portrait of said vehicle, complete with base icons and masks, ready to be used in the DCS software. This, perhaps would be useful for the people who are working in a "mod-mod" for the Legacy of Versailles mod. Nono, and others, if i am not mistaken... Also, I hope you like this piece of work.
There are two variants, the Sdkfz.251 Ausf A which was a very early war variant, which was available since the invasion of Poland, but in very limited numbers, and ths more widely produced Ausf.B which saw much more use and was available from 1940. Tha only visible difference between the two models was the presence of side vision slots for the infantry soldiers cut into the side armor plate in the A model, which were deleted in the B version to speed and make more economical the production of the vehicle.

A renewed unit pack for the game map icons for this vehicle (and some variants) is coming soon...

As always... Enjoy!! :mrgreen:
Attachments
Sdkfz 251A-B Big Units Pack.rar
(137.82 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
SE_SdKfz_251-1B.png
SE_SdKfz_251-1B.png (27.62 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
SdKfz_251-1A.png
SdKfz_251-1A.png (21.81 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

A desert variant of the Pz Grenadiers icon...
Attachments
PzGrenadier_39-desert.png
PzGrenadier_39-desert.png (22.42 KiB) Viewed 3426 times
PzGrenadier_39(mot)-desert.png
PzGrenadier_39(mot)-desert.png (33.02 KiB) Viewed 3426 times
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

This file would be the animation fire for the Pz Grenadier icons I uploaded earlier...
Attachments
PzGrenadier.png
PzGrenadier.png (137.54 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
maguro
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by maguro »

Nice Pz Grenadier icon. I hadn't thought to use a smaller half-track with regular sized inf. I did the opposite, but having seen this one, I prefer the regular sized inf with the scaled down transport.
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

Hello Maguro. I am glad you like this new icon batch... Yes, I think that being an Infantry unit type icon, the troop figures should be in the foreground and the transport vehicle in the background with a smaller size. It's just a question of points of view, but I am also glad you agree...
If you want to make some more icons in the same style, the vehicle icon is reduced to 60% size from its full size image icon.

Greetings!
maguro

Post by maguro »

I personally haven’t used a unit like this yet so I’m curious to know what movement efx sound you gave them, a marching sound or a tracked vehicle sound? Maybe tracked vehicle?
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

From the top of my mind... When in its "infantry" mode, I would give a marching sound to such unit. If I could, I would mix the marching sound with a lower volume, second plane motor vehicle sound, but this is beyond my limited sound file editing skills... :-(
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

guille1434 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:51 am From the top of my mind... When in its "infantry" mode, I would give a marching sound to such unit. If I could, I would mix the marching sound with a lower volume, second plane motor vehicle sound, but this is beyond my limited sound file editing skills... :-(
Very easy to edit sounds with the freeware Audacity :idea:
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

Hello Terminator... Yes, I know Audacity software. I will give it a try. I was using Oceanaudio with some (limited) success to modify sound files...
maguro

Post by maguro »

guille1434 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:51 am From the top of my mind... When in its "infantry" mode, I would give a marching sound to such unit. If I could, I would mix the marching sound with a lower volume, second plane motor vehicle sound, but this is beyond my limited sound file editing skills... :-(
If I have a little time over the weekend (pretty big if), I’ll try to whip up a sound file with existing movement sound files. Hopefully someone else beats me to it.
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

That would be very nice from you, Maguro... :-)
maguro

Post by maguro »

I was able to come with a new sound file (a first try) but I will have to figure out a way to upload it over the weekend...
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

maguro wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:26 am I was able to come with a new sound file (a first try) but I will have to figure out a way to upload it over the weekend...
What are you using as software for the new sound file ?

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”