FUTURE of ORDER OF BATTLE

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: FUTURE of ORDER OF BATTLE

Post by CoolDTA »

Yes, that is a good idea. :)
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

MikeAP wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:19 pm I would like to see post-WWII
Korean War
Vietnam War
Cold War (non-historical)
Agreed, Uncle Ho is calling us out..:)-

Uhu
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Uhu »

I'm not fresh with OOB: I played the Winter War and made also an (unfinished) mod for it.
So I ask you: what do you think is it possible to implement the legendary PzC mod Battlefield on OOB? I mean technically.
Plus: is itneeded therefore to buy all DLCs to have all possible units? Or the units are anway in the editor regardless of having the DLCs?
https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 47&t=47985
koopanique
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by koopanique »

Uhu wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:16 am So I ask you: what do you think is it possible to implement the legendary PzC mod Battlefield on OOB? I mean technically.
The map is quite big in the Battlefield mod, but technically, from a purely game mechanics standpoint, barring any potential technical limitations (due to the mapsize and number of units mainly), I don't see why it wouldn't be feasible. Of course, the rules of PzC and OoB being a bit different, there would be some nuances.
Uhu wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:16 am Plus: is itneeded therefore to buy all DLCs to have all possible units? Or the units are anway in the editor regardless of having the DLCs?
Buying at least 1 DLC gives you access to all editor units and features
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

Thanks for the info!
Well, the hex limitations could be a problem as BE uses 176x114, while OOB enables only 120x120, But maybe with a little map changing it could be managed. The much better supply system of OOB would be a great forward, not just the nice graphics!

What I don't understand: I installed Winter War DLC, but still, there are almost no units in the editor avilable. Just a few from "other" and basic navy categories...

koopanique wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:54 pm
Uhu wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:16 am So I ask you: what do you think is it possible to implement the legendary PzC mod Battlefield on OOB? I mean technically.
The map is quite big in the Battlefield mod, but technically, from a purely game mechanics standpoint, barring any potential technical limitations (due to the mapsize and number of units mainly), I don't see why it wouldn't be feasible. Of course, the rules of PzC and OoB being a bit different, there would be some nuances.
Uhu wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:16 am Plus: is itneeded therefore to buy all DLCs to have all possible units? Or the units are anway in the editor regardless of having the DLCs?
Buying at least 1 DLC gives you access to all editor units and features
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

You need to add one or more factions.
Otherwise you'll only see generic/common units.
factions.jpg
factions.jpg (95.99 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

Erik2 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:02 am You need to add one or more factions.
Otherwise you'll only see generic/common units.
Thanks, it helped!
russkly
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by russkly »

Admiral_Horthy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:09 pm All in all I support big campaigns, because I don't like the- loss of hard earned experience with core-importing in between - and leave with unfinished business behind
I've just experienced this moving from Red Steel to Red Storm.

All core units have lost approx. 2 stars, which is a big deal, when the first scenario is Kursk.

Why does this happen, and is it avoidable somehow?

R
bru888

Post by bru888 »

I remember reading someplace that they reduce the experience of imported cores for the sake of gameplay balance. Each campaign is meant to be played by itself and therefore is designed to present the player with a modicum of challenge. That initial balance would be upset were the player to be importing core units of 4- and 5-star experience.
- Bru
russkly

Post by russkly »

bru888 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:01 pm I remember reading someplace that they reduce the experience of imported cores for the sake of gameplay balance. Each campaign is meant to be played by itself and therefore is designed to present the player with a modicum of challenge. That initial balance would be upset were the player to be importing core units of 4- and 5-star experience.
Thanks, Bru.

Makes sense, although the Axis forces don't seem to suffer the same burden.

R
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

The designer usually need to restrict core exp to 50% or so when importing. Otherwise your core units may appear as super-units compared to the AI's.
This depends on the AI unit exp in the first few scenarios in a campaign.
stevefprice
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by stevefprice »

The clever solution would be to increase the AI experience (or RP or even add extra units etc...) if the game feels your imported core are too strong :) that way you'd never know, but wouldn't feel aggrieved that your well nurtured core were hamstrung.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

stevefprice wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:54 pm The clever solution would be to increase the AI experience (or RP or even add extra units etc...) if the game feels your imported core are too strong :) that way you'd never know, but wouldn't feel aggrieved that your well nurtured core were hamstrung.
What I do with my campaigns is gradually increase AI units exp from 0-1 in the first scenario to maybe 4-5 towards the end.
I adjust these values during my internal play-tests.
I usually set the import core exp to 50% of original value, maybe even 75% if it is the third campaign in a series.
Admiral_Horthy
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

Erik2 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:37 pm An Italian campaign could include Mediterranean naval battles with the carrier Aquila...
Soon you are getting an Aquila and perhaps a Guseppe Miraglia. Skinning is so fiddly work... pf (and I'm a maximalist... nothing is good enough)
'
ColonelKurtz
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by ColonelKurtz »

The game system is the strength of OOB, and it should be fairly adaptable to any period.

I would love to see fictional cold war gone hot starting in different periods - immediate post WWII, 60's 70's and 80's. Even a retake on more current times, like the old SSI People's General.

The one I would most dearly love to see is Middle East, ie the Arab-Israeli wars as well all the other conflicts from Post WWII onwards Iran-Iraq war, Desert Storm. This would be astounding!

I've seen some mods for alternative WW2 scenarios and Korea listed, but has anyone done anything such as above?
TheFilthyCasual
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by TheFilthyCasual »

I'll reiterate Korea, but I also think the Falklands could be done as a single, massive land-air-sea scenario. Might seem a bit much to put in all that effort for one mission, but since it's the only war since WW2 to feature notable naval combat (with the plausible potential for more to have happened than actually did) it would still be cool.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Oh, I'd love to do a bigger Korea cam. Can't really say if it materializes in the near future tho.

As for wild ideas, there are various things being considered, but I wondering if people would like a cam with France 1940, with the option to go to Free France afterwards. However, players would *not* be able to take over the whole French Army then, rather have to rebuild most of their core.

Personally I think this could be a nice challenge. Reward units depending on your earlier performance could sweeten the loss.

I've seen modders have done some nice work with the Free French mod, and this cam would of course deal with some of the same battles in the later part, albeit differently.

Otoh *if* this cam get's going (and it's really just an *if* right now) modders would certainly profit too as it's an incentive to add more French stuff, both units and commanders.
prestidigitation

Post by prestidigitation »

bebro wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:34 pm Oh, I'd love to do a bigger Korea cam. Can't really say if it materializes in the near future tho.

As for wild ideas, there are various things being considered, but I wondering if people would like a cam with France 1940, with the option to go to Free France afterwards. However, players would *not* be able to take over the whole French Army then, rather have to rebuild most of their core.

Personally I think this could be a nice challenge. Reward units depending on your earlier performance could sweeten the loss.

I've seen modders have done some nice work with the Free French mod, and this cam would of course deal with some of the same battles in the later part, albeit differently.

Otoh *if* this cam get's going (and it's really just an *if* right now) modders would certainly profit too as it's an incentive to add more French stuff, both units and commanders.
Y E S! I’ve even described a tree for it that splits to Vichy or Free France. But do some kind of core refund, like giving base 2 stars on all new units or something to make losing the core less painful.

I’d be stoked as hell, and no doubt I’d pay in extra to make it happen. No one does a France campaign, it’d be amazing!
bru888

Post by bru888 »

prestidigitation wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:01 pm No one does a France campaign ...
Ahem. :roll:
- Bru
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

bru888 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:30 am
prestidigitation wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:01 pm No one does a France campaign ...
Ahem. :roll:
Backing bru's ahem.
(And I have a France 1940 campaign lurking in the wings with the maps and units done. Just saying :) )

Return to “Order of Battle Series”