Spanish Civil War Mod & Campaign (v0.90)

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

LNDavoust
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Spanish Civil War Mod & Campaign (v0.90)

Post by LNDavoust »

The Spanish Prelude intends to be a mod for Order of Battle about the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939), one of the world conflicts of the period, and an introduction to the World War that will break in Europe just a few months later. Each sides in the war were supported by the Soviet Union and Germany/Italy, so the domestic conflict was also a sort of appetizer for the main plate to come for both sides. A lot of tactics, doctrine and equipment later used in WW2 were tested first in the spanish fields.

The Spanish Prelude Mod includes a Republican campaign that covers the first half of the Spanish Civil War (1936-1937) with around 20-ish different scenarios arranged in a (somewhat-limited) branched structure with both historical and what-if battles across the spanish land, sea and sky. The mod adds around 25 new* units for each main new faction (Republican Spain and Nationalist Spain), as well as new minor factions (International Brigades, Anarchists, Army of Euskadi,...), new Commanders, new Specializations and around 400 events with (mostly) historical photos of the conflict. (edited June'20)

*Regarding the "new" units: the units introduced in the mod are mainly revamped units from the vanilla game. They use vanilla 3d-models with edited textures, which it is the best i can do without 3d modeling knowledge. Since many equipment used in the Spanish War was then reused in early WW2, in many ocasions this humble methodology of mine does the trick pretty well (see for example viewtopic.php?f=374&t=88783&start=160#p829186). In other cases the result is less fortunate, if at least, I would like to think, decent.

Current Version: 0.90a (17 scenarios) Nov'22

Download link: https://mega.nz/file/OYlSDCLB#MVFI3ZnjH ... FX0oTSO3Ts

Almost definitive version, more details here https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 21#p985421 and in the 0.75v post, below.

-

Previous Versions:

v0.00 (nothing to see here... yet)

My actual idea is to offer a single-player mini-campaing with maybe 6-7 scenarios for the republican side. I am a complete newbie in modding in general or creating content for OoB in particular, so don't expect much of me. Since the period of the conflict is similar to other official DLC (Rising Sun) I will reuse most of the units and skins of the vanilla game just making some numerical or cosmetical adjustments here and there, and maybe (just maybe) will try to add a few key elements in the best case scenario. You will get tactic command of the Republican Navy and some manouver/shock land troops in the early stages of the war.

In the worst case scenario (if the campaing editor defeats me, i get bored, etc... ) , I will give to the community around four playable scenarios for the conflict, which is not that bad, I guess.

I plan to offer a mix of historical, pseudohistorical and what-if scenarios, with land, naval and air drama.
v0.15

So, this is the first release of this project. It contains 4 scenarios playable as a microcampaign where I try to test some ideas I would like to develope in depth in the near future. You will play as a fictitious Republican Commander in the early and chaotic stages of the Spanish Civil War, tasked with the coordination of the naval fleet as well as several choosen army elements as shook troops in critical moments of the conflict. The list of the scenarios are:

1. The Strait of Gibraltar (land/navy, ¿pseudo?historical, august 1936)
2. The disembarck of Majorca (land/navy, historical, sept'36)
3. The Western Mediterranean (navy, pseudohistorical, oct'36)
3. University City (land, historical, nov'36)

So, what can you expect from the campaign at the current state of development?
- A campaign that follows (with some deviations) the historical events of the first four months of the war.
- Four scenarios intended to be playable and balanced (although keep in mind that this is just my first try both modding and designing), with maybe 4 or 5 hours of gameplay and (mainly) functional objetives and IAs.
- A try to recover the "flavour" of the real conflict, using names, types of units, terms and the limitations of the spanish civil war. But please, note that I am not an expert under any consideration in the period or the conflict, and I don't intend to historically reproduce the order of battle, positions or precise of the name of the units in each scenario (as I don't think OoB is the better game to achieve that), so if the second batallion of the third company of the XI Mixed Brigade took part in a battle, what you are probably gonna use in the game is a unit under the term of 2nd Bat XI Mixed Brigade or even just XI Mixed Brigade, depending of the scale of that scenario).
- A try to offer a graphically atractive and inmersive experience, with use of IU elements (flags, pics in events, campaign map, factions,...) as in the commercial DLCs.

And what can you NOT expect from this campaign?
- High degree of historically accuracy, as already discussed.
- Correct english. As you have already realised reading this post, english is not my mother language and my texts have a lot of typos and mistakes. I tried to be more meticulous in the game, but nevertheless there are gonna be plenty of f***k ups, sorry about that :/
- A new rooster of units. Although I do plan to create a rooster of units for the two new factions in the game (Republican Spain and Nationalist Spain) somewhere in the near future, in the present release you will use and fight renamed units (mainly from the Soviet and German roosters). I have tweaked the stats when i felt it was necessary.
- New skins/pics for the units. With some minor exceptions, I reused the vanilla versions, but this is another point i will try to correct in the near future.
- A lot of variety in the type of units. The Spanish Civil War was an infantry war, specially at the beginning, and i expect to reflect that in the mod.
- High quality design in the scenarios. Again, this is my first day at the office, so I'm pretty sure I cannot compare with the big dudes around here which have done some magic things for the community for ages. Anyhow, I expect this will be a fun ride, anyway :)
- Correctness in the counters of the objetives. I hate those f***ers, and didn't manage to make work some of the counters, but the objetives should work anyway. So ie if you have to destroy 6 units, maybe the counter will show 6/0 or 6/5 or something like that, but the good news is that the objetive should work as intented (if you destroy those 6 units, you are good).
- A polished mod (although that should be pretty much clear to you at this point of the post xD). This is the 0.15 version not only because i plan to add scenarios in the future, but because i try to learn in the process while i offer back something to the community to play with in the meantime.

Finally, how can you help me with this project?
- Well, if you try it and you like it, it will be great if you could leave me a comment with your general input. Even better if you didn't like it and can take a moment to explain me why.
- I play to create a bug list (incluiding typos, mistakes and basically anything that don't wok the way it should do), if you feel inclined to share those problems you experience during. With less words, yes, what i am asking you is to do is some kind of beta testing if you are kind enough to share your time with me.
- The project is in a very early stage, so general suggestions are welcomed since there are still time to correct the general direction of my effort, although I have to confess i am a sttuborn person so maybe i wont change my mind easily ;) Scenarios suggestions are welcomed too. And no, at the moment I don't plan to make playable the Nationalist Spain, sorry (maybe in the far future).

Have fun :)
v0.45

- If cannot launch the campaign (the loading screen takes forever), try erasing from the campaign folder (C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\My Games\Order of Battle - WW2\Mods\The Spanish Prelude 0.45\Campaigns\The Spanish Civil War v0.45) the tga files you can find; thanks to Gabe for finding the problem :) ) This problem should have been solved in version 0.45a (new link)
- Just English version at the moment.
- Designed to be played at medium (3/5) difficulty. Outside that, probably some objectives and other things will be broken, specially at lower difficulties (not tested at the moment).

List of known bugs:
- The construction sites lose their skin after being destroyed.
- The Artesanal Tiznaos skin doesn't load.
- Campaign variables don't always work (as a temporary workaround you always gets the benefits from the variables)
- Submarine secondary objetive in Scen 4 doesn't work (as a temporary workaround to be able to play the North/Palma scens, you automatically get the objetive at the end of the scen).
- Both the anarchist and the international brigades unit rooster need more work (just a cosmetic problem, as buying units from this two factions is not necesary at the moment in the mod).
- [/list]

List of scenarios:
- 1. Gibraltar: land & naval, historical.
- 2. Majorca: land & naval, pseudohistorical.
- 3. Extremadura: land, historical.
- 4. Western Mediterranean: naval, historical.
- 5A. North: land & naval, historical.
- 5B. Palma: land, what-if.
- 6. University City: land, historical.
- 7. A Corunna Road: land, historical.
- 8. Valdemoro: land, what-if (it's similar to the historical Battle of Seseña). [/list]

Have fun :)
v0.70

13 scenarios

List of scenarios:
- 7. A Coruna Road: land, historical.
- 8. Valdemoro: land, what-if (although it's similar to the historical Battle of Seseña).
- 9. Jarama: land, historical.
- 10. Malaga: land & naval, pseudohistorical.
- 11. Guadalajara: land, historical.
- 12. Catherines' Tears (working title :) ): aerial, pseudohistorical.

Some notes about the version:
- Just ENGLISH VERSION at the moment.
- Designed to be played at MEDIUM DIFFICULTY (3/5). Outside that, probably some objectives and other things will be broken, specially at lower difficulties (not tested).

List of known bugs:
- The Scenario 12 needs a version for the Palma route.
v0.75

Download link: https://mega.nz/file/KFlWgCgB#K_U2apj-U ... C4GKoNh_zk

15 scenarios

List of scenarios:
- 7. A Coruna Road: land, historical.
- 8. Valdemoro: land, what-if (although it's similar to the historical Battle of Seseña).
- 9. Cartagena: naval, pseudohistorical.
- 10. Jarama: land, historical.
- 11. Malaga: land & naval, pseudohistorical.
- 12. Guadalajara: land, historical.
-13A. Catherines' Tears: aerial, pseudohistorical.
-13B. Cadiz: naval, what-if.
- 14. Iron Ring: land, what-if. //TO BE DONE//
- 15. Brunete: land, historical or what if (depending if MV or mV). //TO BE DONE//

- Just ENGLISH VERSION at the moment.
- Designed to be played at MEDIUM DIFFICULTY (3/5). Outside that, probably some objectives and other things will be broken, specially at lower difficulties (not tested).

List of known bugs:
- The Scenario 13A (only playable through the 5A branch) could not work in every computer for its size/complexity. As a temporary workaround the player could choose between 13A and 13B (originally planned to be playable only through 5B branch), regardless the choice he made in the branching point.
- At the moment users could have problems creating scens for the Nationalists faction using this mod (there's some kind of problem in the editor, i think related to the new units added; i will look into it at some point). It does not affect the TSP Republican Campaign.
- Incorrect campaign map in the final scen through the A branch (will correct in next versions when the structure of the last scens is fixed, doesn't affect the gamplay).
- No working textures for nationalist T-26 and Tiznaos.
- In the present version the 13A scenario is still work in progress.
- Sometimes there is a problem with the idle militia 3d model at the beginning of snces. Aesthetic, doesn't affect the gameplay.

-

I wanted to thank the very generous community here in the forum who has contributed not only to the much needed info and tips about modding and creating scenarios/campaings, but also in resolving doubts and talking about the vanilla version of the game (kudos to the Aristocrats!) and its dlcs.

Specials thanks to Admiral (whose mod I'm using as a base for mine, I hope that's ok for you, sir), JCE (author of the outstanding 7PzD Ghost Division 1940-41 Campaign, which served as inspiration) and Bru, Gabe, Terminator and Horch as heavy contributors in the scenario design subforum.

And of course, credit due to Rafdobrowolski for much needed (and time-consuming) correcting and editing the english of the mod: if you understand anything, it is thanks to Raf!

So... that's all at this moment, good sirs. We will brief you again as soon as new intel is available :)
Last edited by LNDavoust on Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:20 pm, edited 60 times in total.
LNDavoust

Re: Spanish Civil War Mod (V0.0)

Post by LNDavoust »

At the moment I have a couple of completed scenarios in a playable state (although just through the editor because of the problems the 7.14 version regarding creating scenarios). So the actual plan would be something like:

Republican Spain Campaign.

1. Strait of Gibraltar (land/navy, ¿pseudo?historical, playable, august 1936)

2. Battle of Majorca (land/navy, pseudohistorical, playable, sept'36)

3. University City (land, historical, projected, nov'36)

4. Mediterranean War (navy, pseudohistorical, projected, febr-mar'37)

5. Battle of Guadalajara (land, historical, in progress, mar'37)

6. Battle of Argel (navy, what-if, projected, apr'37)

At some point I will welcome testers to have a look to my scenarios, to chase bug, typos (my english is quite poor so expect the worst) and playability. And probably i will also use this thread to ask for help to the many many many problems I'm sure I will encounter.

So... that's all at this moment, good sirs. We will brief you again as soon as new intel is available :)
Duplex

Re: Spanish Civil War Mod (v0.0)

Post by Duplex »

Very interesting. I love order of battle scenarios about lesser known conflicts (hence me making so many about China). What you're doing is really great, keep it up!
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

LNDavoust wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:19 pm Current Version: 0.0 (nothing to see here... yet)
:lol: :lol: :lol: I haven't read any further, and I did not have my beers yet today, but with this remark, you've already made my day!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks! Some Devs should take notice... :lol:

EDIT: Sounds good. I'm all in for historical and what-if missions, as long as it's fun gameplay-wise - and I'm a sucker for all naval/ground/air combo missions, which made this game outstanding, IMO. I'll try to help, if I can. :D
Cataphract88
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Cataphract88 »

Spanish Civil War Mod, great idea. :D
Richard
rafdobrowolski
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by rafdobrowolski »

Super excited about this!
LNDavoust

Post by LNDavoust »

rafdobrowolski wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:13 pm Super excited about this!
Cataphract88 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:54 pm Spanish Civil War Mod, great idea. :D
Thanks, let's hope i can deliver something interesting ^_^
Duplex wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:57 pm Very interesting. I love order of battle scenarios about lesser known conflicts (hence me making so many about China). What you're doing is really great, keep it up!
Thank you. I'm saving your chinese scenarios like an expensive bottle for a holiday or similar, but they are already downloaded in my hd, great work, man. I will probably go for smaller ones for this mod, at least until i get some experience with the editor.
GabeKnight wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:35 am
LNDavoust wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:19 pm Current Version: 0.0 (nothing to see here... yet)
:lol: :lol: :lol: I haven't read any further, and I did not have my beers yet today, but with this remark, you've already made my day!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks! Some Devs should take notice... :lol:

EDIT: Sounds good. I'm all in for historical and what-if missions, as long as it's fun gameplay-wise - and I'm a sucker for all naval/ground/air combo missions, which made this game outstanding, IMO. I'll try to help, if I can. :D
:lol: I'm a big fan of scenarios like Malta (man, that one was a lot of fun) myself. In spanish civil war weren't battles that big (and no parachute action, as far as i know), but i think i will manage to use a couple of disembarks in the campaign, and anyway the coordination between navy and army will be important also in other couple of moments. Or at least that's the plan :)
LNDavoust

Post by LNDavoust »

Ok, let's update.

This couple of days I've been hitting my head again against the editor and the Battle of Guadalajara scenario (probably the biggest of the mini-campagin). The bad news is that it was a little too much frustrating for me and what i got in the screen wasn't worthy of the ideas in my head, so searching for a easier challenge i came back to sea scenario design, which i found more approachable as a newbie.

Therefore, the good news is that The Western Mediterranean Sea mission is already done and playable, although full of bugs, typos,... heavy testing-needed. And that makes it the third one completed, and I think this one is the most enjoyable up the moment. Probably some work will be done when it gets tested, because i am unsure about the difficulty and the flexibility of the scenario (i think it's a must to be able to complete the mission using different strategies). But i pretty satisfied with the result, I think. And I wanted to comment a couple of details here.

The first one is regarding the historical details or even curiosities of the battles, and the love (or lack of love) that you feel for the pop-ups during the action.

A bit too much?

Personally I like a lot all the "flavor" of the history these little pieces of info gives me, and precisely for that I'm a bit worried about abusing of the pop -up windows systems, so feedback will be very welcomed.

Also, I would like to comment about the use of new class units in the mod. As I said before, I don't intend to add a lot of new units, in part because of my aboslute lack of hability and experience with modding. But anyway I will try at least to "frankestein" some new units in a few cases. For example, the Spanish Army at the moment (1936) didn't have anything similar to a carrier. Also, this kind of ship wasn't an element of high strategic value (as it was in the pacific) since the navy battles occured always near of land bases. But thinking about the variety of the unit roster, i was thinking of incluiding a Seaplane Tender from the first world war that didn't see any action in the reality, but that was mobilized and COULD have beed used.

Also, Dedalo (Daedalus) is a precious name for a (pseudo)carrier :)

Now my idea would be to make the ship available through a specialization in the campaign. Nobody expect a powerful carrier, but a seaplane tender that add some recon capabilities and light air power to the fleet (maybe it will be used as "healer" also, which I think it is not completely implausible for the ship in the reality).

calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

very nice!!!!
LNDavoust

Post by LNDavoust »

calmhatchery wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:28 pm very nice!!!!
Thanks Calmhatchery ^_^

-
I finally could fix the emblems in the campaign map and in the background flag from the UI. Not exactly rocket (or hacking) science, but with my skills it was a balanced fight :lol:

Also, I have a first candidate for the main screen. Still provisional, but not bad, i guess.

calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

It is awesome looking. !!! Im wathicing it :)
GrizzlyKt
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by GrizzlyKt »

looks really good any idea when please
Chema_cagi
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Chema_cagi »

Awesome! I've been dreaming someone ever made a SCW mod! You just made my day!

I may guess it's a tough nut to design...Good luck and keep the good work going!
Parriego
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Parriego »

The idea is very good, although it is important to know that the most important battles of the Spanish Civil War are: Badajoz, Madrid, Jarama, Guadalajara, Campaign of North, Brunete, Belchite, Teruel and especially the Battle of the Ebro. In any case luck and wanting to see the result of your work. Greetings. :lol:
ALP071
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ALP071 »

Wouldn't be a bad idea to add a scenario about the defence of the Alcazar, or of the Cuartel de la Montaña
rafdobrowolski

Post by rafdobrowolski »

Any updates to this mod???
LNDavoust

Post by LNDavoust »

Hello there, folks

Nobody expects the spanish civil war modder come back, does he? :)

I returned to the forum a couple of weeks ago and checked with delight that the last update had resolved some of the problems related with the campaign editor. Since then, i resumed my little project and now the first release (v0.15) is almost complete. It will contain 4 scenarios connected in a playable microcampaign that covers the beginning months of the war from the prespective of a republican commander, with both navy and army missions.

Keep in mind that this is my first campaign, so the state of the project now is far from polished, but nevertheless the 4 scenarios should be playable, with functional objetives and some fun ideas (i hope).

To the people that suggested scenarios here, thanks a lot, i thank you for the input and i will take that suggestions into consideration.

Read you soon (i hope) :)
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

LNDavoust wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:00 pm Hello there, folks

After the debacle with them scens not working inside a mod folder, no actually, to be honest. If emerging motivation is killed during infancy, one usually loses all interest very quickly.
Glad you're back, though! All new creations are more than welcome! :D
LNDavoust

Post by LNDavoust »

GabeKnight wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:13 pm
LNDavoust wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:00 pm Hello there, folks

After the debacle with them scens not working inside a mod folder, no actually, to be honest. If emerging motivation is killed during infancy, one usually loses all interest very quickly.
Glad you're back, though! All new creations are more than welcome! :D
Thanks for the welcome, Gabe (again :) )!. And yes, it was pretty frustrating begin the mod and not to be able finish anything because of the problems with the editor... :/

Anyway, I edited the first post in this thread to sum up some features of the 0.15 versione release, that will be ready during this week, (i think). I will try to upload it before the weekend.

Bye folks!
LNDavoust

Re: Spanish Civil War Mod (v0.15)

Post by LNDavoust »

Ok, link to the mod in the first post of the thread. Let me know if something is (too) broken.

Good luck out there, commanders :)

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”