Suggestions for Improvements

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Re: Suggestions for Improvements

Post by GiveWarAchance »

I think I will help... actually not help at all.... by saying I like the exact opposite of some of these ideas.
I really don't want to have to choose the AI's armies. That is too much work and takes all the intrigue out of the game.
I radically prefer having automatic camera movement during the enemy turn. It is vital to our existence.
As for huge armies, that would turn me off the game. I think the army sizes in the campaigns now are perfect. Too many units would addle my brain and make me lose interest in each unit's situation cause of micromanagement overload.
And in the campaigns, I don't want to choose anything that the other side does. I want the enemy armies/nations to be totally chosen by the game so I have some mystery and novelty of unusual situations.
SimonLancaster
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by SimonLancaster »

I agree with those suggestions, GiveWar. I also agree with having the automatic camera but one that zooms right over to the unit in combat.
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815
z1812z
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by z1812z »

I would like an option to be able to play by email without using Slitherine's system. An option to use your own email to send a turn to your opponent.
Lots of people are having problems at the moment with Slitherine's system. If their servers are not working properly we players have no option but to suspend the game until the problem is fixed. Of course you can continually restart your computer, or just go in and out of the server until it works. Not very relaxing.

I think it would be a useful option and would give people a choice and a backup if Slitherine's system is not working.

I bought the original game and all of the DLC's. It is a bit disappointing not to be able to reliably use it for pbem.
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

SLancaster wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:06 pm I agree with those suggestions, GiveWar. I also agree with having the automatic camera but one that zooms right over to the unit in combat.
Ya zoom in would be good.
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

SLancaster wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:06 pm I agree with those suggestions, GiveWar. I also agree with having the automatic camera but one that zooms right over to the unit in combat.
Last time we tested that we had to issue sick bags.

Pat a Pixel Pusher

SimonLancaster

Post by SimonLancaster »

Patrick Ward wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:44 am
Last time we tested that we had to issue sick bags.
Yes, if you zoom in yourself it seems to work a bit better as it is now. The camera still could be smoother though. The speed in which the camera moves is important..

sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

GiveWarAchance wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:32 am I think I will help... actually not help at all.... by saying I like the exact opposite of some of these ideas.
I really don't want to have to choose the AI's armies. That is too much work and takes all the intrigue out of the game.
I radically prefer having automatic camera movement during the enemy turn. It is vital to our existence.
As for huge armies, that would turn me off the game. I think the army sizes in the campaigns now are perfect. Too many units would addle my brain and make me lose interest in each unit's situation cause of micromanagement overload.
And in the campaigns, I don't want to choose anything that the other side does. I want the enemy armies/nations to be totally chosen by the game so I have some mystery and novelty of unusual situations.
I agree with everything this man says. :)

I find FoG2 98% perfect the way it is. The only thing missing to make me completely happy is a comprehensive unit/army list reference collected in one place, easily accessible in large, friendly letters. :D
Jagger2002
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Jagger2002 »

I find FoG2 98% perfect the way it is.
I agree. I think we could get that last 2% by adding a band unit. Every army should be able to purchase a band with a minimum of drums, bugles, trumpets, trombones, flutes, a piano, an octobass and especially they must have at least one cymbal. It is not a real battle without bands and it is not a band without cymbals. I think a band unit would put us over the hump to 100%.
Lebo44
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Lebo44 »

For me the main missing thing is a strategic map that would add some flavour to Campaigns. If FoG2 had in-built simple mechanism like Tides of Conquest or old Centurion-eque map I wouldn't need any other game about ancient warfare.

sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

Jagger2002 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:28 am
I find FoG2 98% perfect the way it is.
I agree. I think we could get that last 2% by adding a band unit. Every army should be able to purchase a band with a minimum of drums, bugles, trumpets, trombones, flutes, a piano, an octobass and especially they must have at least one cymbal. It is not a real battle without bands and it is not a band without cymbals. I think a band unit would put us over the hump to 100%.
I think the Romans didn´t have bands. They had the cornus for signalling.

Adding a figure with a cornus to the Cohort would increase its comical appeal, but I´d still prefer a Reference Guide Pdf.
Attachments
carnuntum-museum.jpg
carnuntum-museum.jpg (302.45 KiB) Viewed 3579 times
Jagger2002

Post by Jagger2002 »

Adding a figure with a cornus
Quite impressivie!

And here is an octobass: (Apparently the jpeg is too large which for some reason does not surprise me. So next best thing, here is a link.)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... pell_1.jpg

Ok, found a smaller photo. I imagine seeing one of those across the field would certainly shake the morale of most everyday barbarians you might run across during your travels.
Octobas
Octobas
montreal-symphony-orchestras-octobass--1477318985-custom-0.jpg (36.51 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
melm

Post by melm »

Lebo44 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:43 am For me the main missing thing is a strategic map that would add some flavour to Campaigns. If FoG2 had in-built simple mechanism like Tides of Conquest or old Centurion-eque map I wouldn't need any other game about ancient warfare.

It seems that Slitherine should bundle FOGII, Mare Nostrvm and Aggressor:Ancient Rome. each for land battles, naval battles and strategic map. 8)
Meditans ex luce mundi
Lebo44
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Lebo44 »

melm wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:09 am It seems that Slitherine should bundle FOGII, Mare Nostrvm and Aggressor:Ancient Rome. each for land battles, naval battles and strategic map. 8)
It's not a bad idea :) If only Aggressor: Ancient Rome had a custom option of a battle result to be resolved (input) manually by a player I could switch between the games every time :-)
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

Jagger2002 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:21 am And here is an octobass:
montreal-symphony-orchestras-octobass--1477318985-custom-0.jpg
I suppose the Octobass would count as Artillery in FoG2,
Jagger2002

Post by Jagger2002 »

Yes but what if a pack of elephants dashed in and scattered your band unit in every direction. Undoubtedly, that poor guy trying to haul off that octobass would be the first one caught. Imagine if an elephant snatched that octobass away and started using it as a club. The HORROR!
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

Jagger2002 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:16 am
Yes but what if a pack of elephants dashed in and scattered your band unit in every direction. Undoubtedly, that poor guy trying to haul off that octobass would be the first one caught. Imagine if an elephant snatched that octobass away and started using it as a club. The HORROR!
An Octobass should only be used behind Heavy Fortifications to get a better POA against the audience.
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

melm wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:09 am
Lebo44 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:43 am For me the main missing thing is a strategic map that would add some flavour to Campaigns. If FoG2 had in-built simple mechanism like Tides of Conquest or old Centurion-eque map I wouldn't need any other game about ancient warfare.

It seems that Slitherine should bundle FOGII, Mare Nostrvm and Aggressor:Ancient Rome. each for land battles, naval battles and strategic map. 8)
I must say I rather like the Choose-Your-Own-Adventure style campaign of FoG2.

In Pike and Shot I can´t stop myself from chasing the AI around or fighting it where it ain´t on the strategic map, starving it points-wise and generally defeating it with strategic tricks rather than through fighting, which is amusing, but the actual battles tend to become less interesting in the campaign mode. FoG2 campaigns do better at providing you with interesting scenarios.

Right now I am standing on the eve of the final battle of a Macedonian campaign coming to the help of Hannibal in the 2nd Punic War (which would have been a wise decision), and I am looking forward to driving the Roman barbarians out of Greece once and for all! :D
Attachments
punic.jpg
punic.jpg (326.64 KiB) Viewed 3415 times
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

The Roman amateurs won´t be able to withstand my mighty Pikes!
Attachments
Screen_00000031.jpg
Screen_00000031.jpg (920.83 KiB) Viewed 3410 times
SimonLancaster

Post by SimonLancaster »

Centurion was a really good game! Another classic was Legion Arena! Really enjoyed that. I don't usually like timed battles but Legion Arena really brought ancient battles alive and fighting against the clock was both fun and a challenge!

sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

Centurion was not bad; the best old strategy game about the period is Annals of Rome, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKGtNleVpyM

It´s very purist: Practically the only goal is survival as long as possible and that is insanely difficult. Beware of your Senators: They are either incompetent and will lose your Legions or they have abilities and then they will try to overthrow the Republic.

Good game to replay interesting events as FoG2 custom battles or campaigns!
Attachments
aor.png
aor.png (17.44 KiB) Viewed 3293 times

Return to “Field of Glory II”