Unit Navigator Tool

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Mojko
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Unit Navigator Tool

Post by Mojko »

New version released: 2018-10-21

- mod support added
- mod loader field in now available in the bottom of the screen
- input url of mod data files and push the "load mod" button
- the url has to be pointing to folder that contains game data files (for example units.csv)
- mod folder and all of its files have to be publicly available (no login, no captcha, no validation)
- file names have to match game data files convention
- mod files will be applied on top of the default files
- modding support is only for game data files, not for images and localization files
- loaded mod state is not persistent between requests (you have to load your mod each time you open the Unit navigator)
- loaded mode state is not cached, so loading time may be slow (depends on the hosting service providing mod files)

See the diff page for more details.

Feedback is appreciated.
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

I do not understand how it works. What does it mean "url of mod data files" ?
Admiral_Horthy
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

My Mod folder on PC is ..Mods/Admiral'l Alternate Arsenal/Data .. Graphics.. Language

On the server, the same structure appears for the url /OOB/game_data/Data... Graphics... Language

EDIT, now it works, just sensitive for case and / signs!! Thanks!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

terminator wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:19 am I do not understand how it works. What does it mean "url of mod data files" ?
ModNav.jpg
ModNav.jpg (272.36 KiB) Viewed 5489 times
This, you need an online mod folder so the site can import your data. It does not pull the unit names, pictures and country flags yet.

Important to have a / sign after the url.

Thanks again!!! Great tool! Let me know if I can help.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

What is an online mod folder ?
Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

Ummm I don't know how much you know about web storages... I try to explain. You need an online storage folder on a server somewhere which can be referred on by an URL address. Like the one you can download 3A mod from... www.alnotz.com/OOB
It's on a public server provided by the firm I got my domain name from. I have a personal server in my home, alnotz.net but it is (obviously) protected with authorization so anything there cannot be accessed externally so Unit Navigator can not reach it

You need to put your Mod's Data folder on this storage and copy it's URL path into Unit Navigator's field (on the bottom). Something like

"http://www.myfileserver.org/Terminators_OOB/Data/" beware the link is case sensitive, needs the http part and the final / dash on the end.
Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

My observations so far: (will be updated)

- Maybe it's intended, but it seems the switch filters work on the inverse. Filter shows the target unit of that switch - in case of "Road" it shows all the rail capable units' road versions not the rail cars which have the road switch.
- For some reason the Banzai trait icon is shown twice.
- Soviet Heavy infantry has three mortar trait icons.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

With Mediafire, I have arrived to load my Mod "In Service". In this Mod, no expiry date for German units.

With the Unit Navigator Tool, sometimes it woks, sometimes it does not work :

Unitnavigator.JPG
Unitnavigator.JPG (233 KiB) Viewed 5456 times

Unitnavigator(2).JPG
Unitnavigator(2).JPG (209.51 KiB) Viewed 5456 times
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

Admiral_Horthy wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:54 pm My observations so far: (will be updated)

- Maybe it's intended, but it seems the switch filters work on the inverse. Filter shows the target unit of that switch - in case of "Road" it shows all the rail capable units' road versions not the rail cars which have the road switch.
- For some reason the Banzai trait icon is shown twice.
- Soviet Heavy infantry has three mortar trait icons.
Switch filters are based on unit data. This is working as intended.

Banzai infantry switch icon shows twice in your mod because you added a duplicate banzai_infantry (ID = 6006). Note that internal unit names are supposed to be unique identifiers and your mod breaks the convention. Unit navigator resolves a unit name references in a way that doesn't break the app. It is expected to find only one unit referenced by name and if more are found they are displayed. This is intentional as it allows you to see the errors in your mod files. Soviet heavy infantry has the same problem - you introduced new units that makes the internal unit name non-unique, thus a unit name reference can't be resolved properly.
terminator wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:54 pm With Mediafire, I have arrived to load my Mod "In Service". In this Mod, no expiry date for German units.

With the Unit Navigator Tool, sometimes it woks, sometimes it does not work
Unit navigator tries to fetch data from the source you provided, but remember that http can be unreliable. If no response is given from the data source, the errors are gracefully ignored. I don't think I can do much about this, but I can add some sort of indication what modded files were loaded.
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

New version released: 2018-10-22

- mod files log added
- it is now possible to view all mod files that are in use via the mod log button on the bottom of the screen

Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

OH, yes it's my fault. Now I understand that the temp unit pictures cause this - for that I had to use duplicate names... Yes that's why this is so useful.

Tomorrow I root out duplicate names and use copies and temps in pic.
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

terminator wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:54 pm With Mediafire, I have arrived to load my Mod "In Service". In this Mod, no expiry date for German units.
With the Unit Navigator Tool, sometimes it woks, sometimes it does not work :
I don't think your mod was loaded at all. The screenshot you provided shows normal, unmodded data. Try to load your mod again and have a look at the mod log. It will show you which moded files were loaded.
nono hard et heavy
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by nono hard et heavy »

Hello mr Mojko. I play panzer corps and oob both. For myself I wanted to create your tool for panzer corps but as I know nothing in programming, I wanted to use power point that I master. But the difficulty is to create thumbnails with the text that appears when you move the cursor over it. There is no function to do this with power point. So I gave up. I would like to know how long it took you to create unit navigator tool and if it is possible to adapt it to panzer corps ?
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

nono hard et heavy wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:58 pm Hello mr Mojko. I play panzer corps and oob both. For myself I wanted to create your tool for panzer corps but as I know nothing in programming, I wanted to use power point that I master. But the difficulty is to create thumbnails with the text that appears when you move the cursor over it. There is no function to do this with power point. So I gave up. I would like to know how long it took you to create unit navigator tool and if it is possible to adapt it to panzer corps ?
Thank you for your suggestions. I don't plan to build such tool for Panzer Corps for the following reasons:

- in game information in Panzer Corps is quite good, I don't feel like we need an extra tool to view units
- it would take weeks of effort to build such a tool and I don't really have time to spare in the upcoming months
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

New version released: 2018-11-14

- game data updated to 7.1.4

I would appreciate if someone could export the new unit images and send them to me so I could add them to Unit Navigator :) .
Halvralf

Post by Halvralf »

Mojko wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:49 am New version released: 2018-11-14

- game data updated to 7.1.4

I would appreciate if someone could export the new unit images and send them to me so I could add them to Unit Navigator :) .
Thank you Master Mojko!!!
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."
Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

Mojko wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:49 am I would appreciate if someone could export the new unit images and send them to me so I could add them to Unit Navigator :) .
In progress--- just very slow. Will send you PM
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Thanks, Mojko.
(I just love the "diff page")
Mojko

Post by Mojko »

New unit images added. Big thanks to Admiral_Horthy :D
Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

NP... happy to help. The navigator is an essential tool for us.

Maybe, later when you have time you may find a way to show unit names, pics, flags etc. from mods :mrgreen: especially names would be useful

Return to “Order of Battle Series”