Suggestions for Improvements

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
SimonLancaster
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Suggestions for Improvements

Post by SimonLancaster »

Great game but a number of things bug me a bit. I have mentioned a few before but will put everything in a list now!

1. Camera

The camera is a real annoyance for me. Units will sometimes fight in the corner of my screen and then it moves on before I know what has happened. I am using the little casualty box trick but it doesn’t really work completely. All skirmisher attacks are still happening all over the place.

I think something similar happened in Sanctus Reach and a few patches sorted it out. All we need is the camera to zoom over to a unit that is fighting. Have the option at least for a ‘dynamic camera’ or whatever you want to call it.

2.Flags

At least have some more detail on the flags. The figures are nice to look at but let down by plain red or blue flags.

3. Random Battle PBEM Title

In my email it just says ‘Random Battle’. I would like it to state the armies involved so I know which game it is. Obviously, in ‘Epic Battles’ you don’t have this problem because it names the battle.

4. In-game Messages

I don’t want to see messages before I take my turn on the battlefield. In really close battles I sometimes see a message that says “Well done hard luck” or something before I have taken my turn.

I think those are the main things in my mind right now..
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Suggestions for Improvements

Post by rbodleyscott »

Thanks

1. Camera
The camera is a real annoyance for me. Units will sometimes fight in the corner of my screen and then it moves on before I know what has happened. I am using the little casualty box trick but it doesn’t really work completely. All skirmisher attacks are still happening all over the place.

I think something similar happened in Sanctus Reach and a few patches sorted it out. All we need is the camera to zoom over to a unit that is fighting. Have the option at least for a ‘dynamic camera’ or whatever you want to call it.
The problem is that others find the camera jumping all over the place equally annoying. We could look into adding it as an option.
2.Flags

At least have some more detail on the flags. The figures are nice to look at but let down by plain red or blue flags.
As Pat the artist and UI designer has posted elsewhere, this was to make the vital status information that the flags convey easier to read. The flags are primarily there to convey this information, not decorative. In early beta iterations people found the status information hard to spot.
3. Random Battle PBEM Title

In my email it just says ‘Random Battle’. I would like it to state the armies involved so I know which game it is. Obviously, in ‘Epic Battles’ you don’t have this problem because it names the battle.

4. In-game Messages

I don’t want to see messages before I take my turn on the battlefield. In really close battles I sometimes see a message that says “Well done hard luck” or something before I have taken my turn.
These are both on the wish list.
Richard Bodley Scott

SimonLancaster

Post by SimonLancaster »

Great. You are doing a fine job. This game has really brought wargaming back on to the PC...

lapdog666
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by lapdog666 »

i wish i could have full control over camera during the resolution phase
Jagger2002
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Jagger2002 »

In custom battles, I would like to be able to select the composition of the AI army and then let the AI take over.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

lapdog666 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:40 pm i wish i could have full control over camera during the resolution phase
Not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean you don't want it to move automatically at all?

You can drag the map by holding down the L mouse button if you want to force it to move to a particular place.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Jagger2002 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:09 pm In custom battles, I would like to be able to select the composition of the AI army and then let the AI take over.
We will look at whether this could be feasible.
Richard Bodley Scott

Searry
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Searry »

I would love to get rid off any automatic camera movement as well.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

rbodleyscott wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:30 am
Jagger2002 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:09 pm In custom battles, I would like to be able to select the composition of the AI army and then let the AI take over.
We will look at whether this could be feasible.
Yes, this would be a very good additional feature, if it is possible.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Searry wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:13 pm I would love to get rid off any automatic camera movement as well.
I don't understand how that would work.

You can already turn on Close Combat Reports (either Simple or Detailed), and that will pause the game until you want the AI turn to continue. Did you want more than that?
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Searry

Post by Searry »

Paul59 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:09 pm
Searry wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:13 pm I would love to get rid off any automatic camera movement as well.

You can already turn on Close Combat Reports (either Simple or Detailed), and that will pause the game until you want the AI turn to continue. Did you want more than that?
What I mean is simply no automatic camera movement. Let the automatic combat phase go on as it is but stop the camera from "jumping".

I don't have close combat reports on, I use detailed tooltip.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Searry wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:28 pm

What I mean is simply no automatic camera movement. Let the automatic combat phase go on as it is but stop the camera from "jumping".

But if the camera does not move action will be going on "off screen", or do you want a big panoramic view of the battlefield? Either way, you will have a hard job working out what is going on!
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Searry

Post by Searry »

Paul59 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:43 pm
Searry wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:28 pm

But if the camera does not move action will be going on "off screen", or do you want a big panoramic view of the battlefield? Either way, you will have a hard job working out what is going on!
I disagree. I personally think battles are quite predictable often.
SimonLancaster

Post by SimonLancaster »

5. Larger armies

In reply to Pete mentioning in another thread that some players didn’t seem to stick with the game I think larger armies would be one attraction. In Sanctus Reach you can play 2000 point games, 5000 point games and go all the way up to 10000 point games. I actually prefer the smaller battles but some players really enjoy large battles. Having it as an option might be welcome.

6. Co-op Battles

In addition to larger battles being able to play with a friend would be really fun... just some ideas.

ggarynorman
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by ggarynorman »

The ability to chose a banner colour as a default for all battles . I easily get confused with multiple matches with multiple banner colours
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Thanks for all the suggestions. We do take note.
Richard Bodley Scott

shawkhan2

Post by shawkhan2 »

In cases where both sides use some of the same units it would be nice if there was some indication of which side a routed unit belongs to. Perhaps a colored corner on the banner?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

shawkhan2 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:59 pm In cases where both sides use some of the same units it would be nice if there was some indication of which side a routed unit belongs to. Perhaps a colored corner on the banner?
There already is. If you look closely the cross pole of the routed banner is in the side colour.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

antiochosvii
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by antiochosvii »

While previous campaign improvements regarding additional army lists as enemies/allies have been welcome, it's still not enough imo.

Why on earth can we not select a series of enemies to face in a campaign? It would just make immersion so very much easier to achieve. I want to play as Syracuse and fight mostly Romans but also the Etruscans and Gauls -- and it would be nice to be able to have a little more control over that.
Jagger2002

Post by Jagger2002 »

When a multi-player game ends, only one player can send a message to the other. It would be nice for the other player to be able to send a message back within the system.

Return to “Field of Glory II”