Admiral's Alternate Arsenal (3A) The Prodigal Son :D

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Admiral's Alternate Arsenal (3A)

Post by Horst »

While I also like to see more minor nation units in the game, I still hesitated to include more unit variants by myself as no real campaign supported them exclusively so far. Normally, you just stick to your major nation stuff which is always available in scenarios.
I think I should also create a German sniper for my own mod, although they could possibly be added much later by an Allied DLC. I like to use these as command-filler when playing Japan. What's more thrilling than destroying enemy artillery in the rear undetected?
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Admiral_Horthy wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:08 pm Now you can see the difference or the stock model and the modded one. There is a problem - either export OR shader? - that causes a different smoothing/lighting between them. It's not the texture.
Seriously, what's up with that? As you said, the modded units share the same texture and still your model (on the top) appears darker and the one on the bottom appears lighter than the stock model ???

Could it have something to do with the orientation of the model in MAX? I mean look into the (export) MDT files yourself, from my understanding, it's a pure geometry mesh, no lighting info. So why the differences?

Screenshot 717.jpg
Screenshot 717.jpg (659.19 KiB) Viewed 4204 times
Admiral_Horthy
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

I think it's an attached shader or light withing the game hierarchy... even if you apply +10% brightness to the texture, it makes only an unwanted shine on the model but it will be still different.

I could live with the colouring, but see, "our" objects are smoothed and lighted differently. Look at the edge of the train hull. "Their" train is more rounded and the texture is also appear smoother. Lighting is more ambient than spot... how to say.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Admiral_Horthy wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:43 pm I think it's an attached shader or light withing the game hierarchy... even if you apply +10% brightness to the texture, it makes only an unwanted shine on the model but it will be still different.

I could live with the colouring, but see, "our" objects are smoothed and lighted differently. Look at the edge of the train hull. "Their" train is more rounded and the texture is also appear smoother. Lighting is more ambient than spot... how to say.
I'll have to investigate this further. It's a bit different for me, because I could live with a bit of different rendering, but the color differences between your and my model astound me. :shock:

I mean: Why are the same models,
BOTH exported from my rig,
BOTH with the same texture,
drawn with different colours in the game? I could understand differences in the rendering while inside MAX, but the MDT export files should be identical. So why colour differences???

Don't you think it's possible it could have something to do with the model orientaion relative to some of the axis? Maybe it has to be alligned along X and not Y (just for example). Or maybe some part of the model has to be exactly on "ground level" (0,0). And maybe it really is just my lack of understanding 3D modelling. Sorry if my ideas make no sense :)

Another weird thing is that the texture for your model has to be flipped 180° compared to mine. You did not remap the model, did you? - But this doesn't bother me much. Exactly 180° usually means just a simple mathematical change into the negative (symmetry).
Horst

Post by Horst »

If you guys use the same unity-extraction tool like me then all the exported graphic-stuff is somehow darker. I used a web-tool in the past which had identical brightness, but this unfortunately got broken by newer unity versions. I haven't really looked around for alternatives of AssetStudio.

Now something else:
Admiral, ever thought about creating something like V1 and V2 rockets? Turning a land-unit into an air one. There is a missile class since OoB-release but no idea if this really works. A kamikaze-like tactical-bomber mode should do fine as flight mode, as long as you can't switch back or land on airfields anymore. I think preventing landing on airfields is the tricky thing that is possibly denied by default by the missile-class but untested.
Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

Yea thought about V1... it's on the list. I planned as land object spawning kamikaze's. initially built like air strip by construction truck (A truck with V1 on the trailer). This is more difficult than just a gun or tank, but it's on the list.

I tried to convert the Ohka carrying Betty into a V1 carrying He-111, but since they are both one use only at the moment...
Horst wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:51 pm If you guys use the same unity-extraction tool like me then all the exported graphic-stuff is somehow darker. I used a web-tool in the past which had identical brightness,
It's not just brightness it seems.. if it was I had editted the textures, but not((
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Admiral_Horthy wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:33 am Yea thought about V1... it's on the list. I planned as land object spawning kamikaze's. initially built like air strip by construction truck (A truck with V1 on the trailer). This is more difficult than just a gun or tank, but it's on the list.
It is already on the list of developers :

missile.png
missile.png (926 Bytes) Viewed 4120 times

Screenshot 740.png
Screenshot 740.png (108.25 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
Horst

Post by Horst »

I don't expect official German rockets until the Allied DLC in a year. That was the same with PzC. I was only curious. With the last German DLC we should finally have about all important stuff available to create whatever scenario in WW2.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Horst wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:25 am I don't expect official German rockets until the Allied DLC in a year. That was the same with PzC. I was only curious. With the last German DLC we should finally have about all important stuff available to create whatever scenario in WW2.
Allied Corps was released before Soviet Corps (PanzerCorps). Allied DLC (Order of battle) should be released earlier than one year.
Admiral_Horthy

Re: Admiral's Alternate Arsenal (3A) V0.5 Released!

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

So.... it is out

Please help in debugging.. and make scenarios :P
Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

One of my dreams come true:
Seaplane tender.jpg
Seaplane tender.jpg (61.66 KiB) Viewed 4045 times
And this is me... LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
March.jpg
March.jpg (453.43 KiB) Viewed 4045 times
Horst

Post by Horst »

Good work, Admiral!
You have deserved your parade!
Horst

Post by Horst »

Cool stuff, but I would really add a copy of a similar original unit picture as placeholders for new units. Many missing pictures don’t look good. For players who have not much clue about war stuff, it can be difficult to know what this unit should represent in the purchase screen.
Btw, the Nazi cross should be pushed more to the center.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Horst wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:51 am You have deserved your parade!
Agreed! Really good stuff! First of all, a big thank you. :!: :D

I've just took a glance at it, but I'll give it a more thorough testing later.

So far:

- US "UH-1D Huey" doesn't work at all (doesn't show up in the game, some export error)
- You probably know this yourself, but when assigning a different texture to a copy of a stock model, you overwrite the whole unit with it. Meaning this: The Czechoslovakian "Avia B-71" unit for example - looking good otherwise! - but there won't be the original Soviet "Tuploev SB-2" anymore. This goes for all of your plane's models. That's why I had to replicate a whole new "BCV Ise" model or the "Armoured Train", if I wanted to add them to different nations with different textures each. :roll:
Horst wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:31 pm Cool stuff, but I would really add a copy of original unit pictures as placeholders for new units. Many missing pictures don’t look good. For players who have not much clue about war stuff, it can be difficult to know what this unit should represent in the purchase screen.
I know it's beta, but I fully agree with Horst on this. And with "for players who have not much clue about war stuff", he's talking about someone like me BTW :lol:

On the other hand, it's real easy to distinguish between the new units and the stock models this way... :wink:
Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

Yea... it's my lazyness. Will do for the next version... at least placeholder for sure.
I just hate to do it :roll: :mrgreen:

Don't bother the Nam units they are fully experimental. Here they are only leftovers. I just did not erase them. The UH-1 has no MDB file, as it was faulty. Radars do not work on air units (rotor object spins in strange angles).

The Avia B-71 is listed in the Known Issues. Air units cannot be duplicated because of the propellor helper and effect. So I left it there for now.

Question. Should I mark new/modded units with something? Like a little 3A on the unit pic... or icon, or star...? If there is demand I can do that or just let them blend into the mass.

Question 2. Regarding quality control on planes... Would you accept... tolerate... overlook etc. etc. the faulty non moving propellors without the effect link so you can get modded planes OR we should just wait till - propably - we get exporter support for additional functions (propellor, exhaust, infantry anim etc)
Last edited by Admiral_Horthy on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Navman2854
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Navman2854 »

Hey guys, where does this get unzipped to? I must have got lost because I don't see where anywhere :roll:
Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

into the Mods folder

c:\Users\..............\Documents\My Games\Order of Battle - WW2\Mods\
Navman2854

Post by Navman2854 »

Admiral_Horthy wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:18 pm into the Mods folder

c:\Users\..............\Documents\My Games\Order of Battle - WW2\Mods\
Thanks, thought so but wanted to make sure :D
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Admiral_Horthy wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:01 pm Question. Should I mark new/modded units with something? Like a little 3A on the unit pic... or icon, or star...? If there is demand I can do that or just let them blend into the mass.

Question 2. Regarding quality control on planes... Would you accept... tolerate... overlook etc. etc. the faulty non moving propellors without the effect link so you can get modded planes OR we should just wait till - propably - we get exporter support for additional functions (propellor, exhaust, infantry anim etc)
Q1) It would definitely help ME while testing/playing to quickly distinguish between new and stock, but I think it may enrage the enthusiasts otherwise...

Q2) If you really want to wait until this is fixed, my advice: don't. It's been the same (not working propellor, wobbling rotors of helicopters) since the notorious "HBalck" mods. And if you don't point it out very much, the not working propellor animation might get even overlooked by most players, depending on screen size and resolution. :wink:

Do you by any chance know why the German planes won't show as "mini-icons" when landed on carrier ships? (This question has nothing to do with your mod, it just doesn't seem to work right)
Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

German planes have no minis... hmmm... need to take a look. Never tried tho.

Ah and I make the folder for Mojko, to enable unit viewer on 3A :) I forgot...

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”