How to install with Steam?

pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Re: How to install with Steam?

Post by pavelk »

Hi 76mm,
I just want to know - have you been able to figure it out?
76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by 76mm »

An hour ago, I would have said yes--I tried the Steam version again, and it worked--although note that when I tried to check the "admin" box in the Steam properties, I got some kind of error, so I unchecked it again.

I've played quite a bit since then, but in the game I'm playing now--of course the first game that I'm doing well in--the game has been constantly crashing to desktop--at first every twenty minutes, then every ten minutes, then every five minutes, now it crashes almost immediately when reopened.

EDIT: Actually, the last time I tried to load the game, it crashed immediately and then locked up my computer, or I should say my monitor went black and I had to do a hard reset to get the computer to respond--not good!

SECOND EDIT: So I rebooted my computer and tried to launch the Steam version again--no luck--I got the same white screen of death as I used to get--the game's main menu starts OK, but then when I press Play Game, all I get is a white screen, and then it says that the "Agressors is not responding" and it crashes.
Cablenexus
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Cablenexus »

76mm wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:19 pm An hour ago, I would have said yes--I tried the Steam version again, and it worked--although note that when I tried to check the "admin" box in the Steam properties, I got some kind of error, so I unchecked it again.

I've played quite a bit since then, but in the game I'm playing now--of course the first game that I'm doing well in--the game has been constantly crashing to desktop--at first every twenty minutes, then every ten minutes, then every five minutes, now it crashes almost immediately when reopened.

EDIT: Actually, the last time I tried to load the game, it crashed immediately and then locked up my computer, or I should say my monitor went black and I had to do a hard reset to get the computer to respond--not good!

SECOND EDIT: So I rebooted my computer and tried to launch the Steam version again--no luck--I got the same white screen of death as I used to get--the game's main menu starts OK, but then when I press Play Game, all I get is a white screen, and then it says that the "Agressors is not responding" and it crashes.
Hi 76mm,

Don't give up. You will get there. There are only two issues or a combination of both that causes this. Steam version itself is not different from the non Steam game, except the Steam overlay itself.

I want to ask you to follow the instructions I provide now step by step without skipping one, even when you think it's useless.
If you can provide feedback after every step you tried we can get there eventually.

- Uninstall the Slitherine version completely via uninstall app. And do the same for the Steam version.

- Manually delete these 3 folders:

C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\My Games\Aggressors Ancient Rome

C:\Program Files\Kubat Software (can be different if you installed a different drive letter) / C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Aggressors Ancient Rome (steam version)

C:\ProgramData\Kubat Software (can be hidden by default in windows)

Make sure all these folders are deleted before you continue to the next step.

- Right click the Steam client .exe and select in properties to start in admin mode for ALL USERS. Yes, you will get a warning, but ignore it. It can't hurt and if everything works you can change it back. It's not a condition to start Aggressors.
(please report for this step what error/warning you eventually get).

- With the Steam client running in Admin mode install Aggressors to the default install location. Make sure you wait till this process is finished.
As mentioned before, Steam will install at least some Directx, .NET and other redistrible files and you need them. But it may take a while and the progress is not always shown in the foreground.
(please report if you see Steam is installing these files).

- Now exit Steam completely (not just minimize it) restart your system and restart the Steam client and make sure at forehand you start it for ALL USERS in Admin mode again.
Now right click the game in Steam, click properties and verify game files. It will do another check if all req. files are correctly installed.

Start the game via play game in Steam.

Wait a moment before the white screen eventually dissapears. Also try to alt/tab to see if there is no other screen showing a prompt for you to confirm the admin mode or add exception to Windows Firewall.

If still not solved the issue provide error/log and or event viewer report to Pavel.

C:\ProgramData\Kubat Software (can be hidden by default in windows) contains an error log and aggressors log. Send both.

Type "event" in windows search bar and open Windows Event Viewer. Click the recently occured errors, right click the errors happened last hour to find the Aggressors or Steam errors.
76mm001.jpg
76mm001.jpg (218.71 KiB) Viewed 4904 times
Right click "view all instances of this event" to bring up the error log itself as in this example:
76mm002.jpg
76mm002.jpg (225.13 KiB) Viewed 4904 times
Please report what is in the error logs.
Last edited by Cablenexus on Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

76mm

Post by 76mm »

Sorry, but I'm much more likely to uninstall Steam than do all of that--I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the Matrix version about three times, the Steam version about ten times. The Matrix version works more or less fine, Steam is a steaming pile of $%#@. Also, last time I set the Steam exe to admin, I did not get a warning, but an error, and could not even start Steam. Honestly, I'm sick to death of messing with it. Maybe I'll regain interest at some point.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

125 million active steam accounts speaks for itself tbh
Cablenexus
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Cablenexus »

76mm wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:06 pm Sorry, but I'm much more likely to uninstall Steam than do all of that--I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the Matrix version about three times, the Steam version about ten times. The Matrix version works more or less fine, Steam is a steaming pile of $%#@. Also, last time I set the Steam exe to admin, I did not get a warning, but an error, and could not even start Steam. Honestly, I'm sick to death of messing with it. Maybe I'll regain interest at some point.
Hi 76mm,

Which of the steps provided is annoying for you to try? It really isn't much more then to manually delete some folders and do a reinstall.

- Did you manually delete the folders after the uninstall and was your program data folder hidden?
- What error message did you get when starting Steam as admin?
- Do you use default folder location on your C: drive?
- Did Steam installed the directx and .NET redis files for you when installing Aggressors on Steam?
- Did you verified the cache for the game and made a system restart afterwards?

I'm really willing to help you to make the game run smooth, but you can help by providing more info of what your experience is when following the steps in previous post.

I also wonder, you say the Matrix version works more or less ok, what do you mean by that?
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Cablenexus wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:10 pm Which of the steps provided is annoying for you to try? It really isn't much more then to manually delete some folders and do a reinstall.
Mainly uninstalling the Matrix version again, trying the Steam version again (very possibly without succeess), and then re-installing the Matrix version. I will probably give it a try in a few days, but right now, after several uninstalls/reinstalls, I'm a bit tired of the whole process.
Cablenexus wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:10 pm I also wonder, you say the Matrix version works more or less ok, what do you mean by that?
The Matrix version has generally been stable, I had one crash, maybe two, with the Matrix version.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

zakblood wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:18 am please see this thread,

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4533592
I too wonder if the issue is not related with the Windows documents folders being installed in a NAS system.
Not long ago, there were also a lot of issues (with a lot of games) after a Windows update which have "moved" the documents folder to OneDrive.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Hey Cablenexus, Pavel,

I reinstalled the Steam stuff yesterday and it seems to be working. Only two crashes after many hours of play since yesterday morning.
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk »

well that is a mystery. Anyway if you have any CTDs, please use the error tool and send me the report by clicking on that big button. It helps us analyze the problem.
Have fun:)
76mm

Post by 76mm »

pavelk wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:43 pm well that is a mystery. Anyway if you have any CTDs, please use the error tool and send me the report by clicking on that big button. It helps us analyze the problem.
Have fun:)
Sorry, where is the error tool? Also, FYI sometimes when the game crashes it creates and "emergency" file and sometimes it doesn't.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

zakblood wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:22 pm 125 million active steam accounts speaks for itself tbh
And how many active gamers are not on Steam?
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk »

76mm wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:50 amSorry, where is the error tool? Also, FYI sometimes when the game crashes it creates and "emergency" file and sometimes it doesn't.
The error tool would pop up automatically after the crash (it is a window with several buttons).
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

76mm wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:52 am
zakblood wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:22 pm 125 million active steam accounts speaks for itself tbh
And how many active gamers are not on Steam?
unknown, but almost a billion users of windows 10 now, so would guess it's quite a lot, but numbers are who play games, something i wouldn't know, with steam being the largest platform, it could be anything tbh
76mm

Post by 76mm »

pavelk wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:03 pm The error tool would pop up automatically after the crash (it is a window with several buttons).
Ah yes. That thing comes up after roughly half the crashes. In the other half, the game just shuts down and screen goes to the opening menu. Would you like for me to send you my log file?
76mm

Post by 76mm »

zakblood wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:07 pm unknown, but almost a billion users of windows 10 now, so would guess it's quite a lot, but numbers are who play games, something i wouldn't know, with steam being the largest platform, it could be anything tbh
I know that Steam is very popular with many players, but honestly it does not offer anything of value to me. I opened an account years ago to play Crusader Kings but didn't send up playing it that much, so now the only reason I'm dealing with Steam at all is to play (and mod) this game.
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk »

76mm wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:10 pmAh yes. That thing comes up after roughly half the crashes. In the other half, the game just shuts down and screen goes to the opening menu. Would you like for me to send you my log file?
Everytime the window pops up, please click on the big button in the upper right corner. This sends me all the important information for analysis.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

pavelk wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:12 pm Everytime the window pops up, please click on the big button in the upper right corner. This sends me all the important information for analysis.
OK, but if IIRC, there is something wrong with the form that pops up, and the text on the buttons is not legible...I could be mistaken on this, but this is my recollection. If so, I will send a screen shot next time it happens.

Return to “Aggressors: Tech Support”