Future dev diaries

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Future dev diaries

Post by Rudankort »

Hello All!

We have published the initial wave of three dev diaries which have hopefully provided some idea of what to expect from Panzer Corps 2, in terms of gameplay, features, graphics and all other important areas. Now we are planning the future dev diaries, and I'm wondering - what would YOU want to read about? Please post your suggestions in this topic. This will help to plan the future chapters. Thanks in advance! :)
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: Future dev diaries

Post by kondi754 »

What will the vanilla game contain?
Is it just a German campaign or also an allied campaign?
How do you plan to develop the game when it comes to historical content?
Do you plan to go beyond World War II? (as the creators of OoB say about it)
dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by dalfrede »

I would like to see a dev diary on AI. Particularly what PzC AI does [or doesn’t do], and how PzC2 AI is better.

Issues like:
Attacker Mode => Suicide Mode
Tanks, infantry, halftracks w/ infantry, will all attack aggressively.
Trucks w/ Infantry, artillery w/o ammo will move as aggressively as tanks do.

The trucks, halftracks, and artillery all suffer major damage from quick counter attacks.

Have scripting Modes affect each unit class differently?

I will stop here, others will have more ideas, so I think a special topic for AI would be a good idea.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
PanzerCro
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by PanzerCro »

kondi754 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:19 pm What will the vanilla game contain?
Is it just a German campaign or also an allied campaign?
How do you plan to develop the game when it comes to historical content?
Do you plan to go beyond World War II? (as the creators of OoB say about it)
Regarding campaigns, I would like to have minor nations campaigns, like french resistance campaign, where your missions would be to sabotage german infrastructure. Then Croatian and Yugoslavian campaign, from both perspectives (ustase vs. partisans), then chinese or japan ones. :)
PanzerCro
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by PanzerCro »

Rudankort wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:53 pm Hello All!

We have published the initial wave of three dev diaries which have hopefully provided some idea of what to expect from Panzer Corps 2, in terms of gameplay, features, graphics and all other important areas. Now we are planning the future dev diaries, and I'm wondering - what would YOU want to read about? Please post your suggestions in this topic. This will help to plan the future chapters. Thanks in advance! :)
Grenadiers coming with transport by default , yes or no ? :)
sn0wball
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by sn0wball »

Learning more about units would be nice, especially once the graphics are ready.

Until then, what about the UI ? Are there any important changes about how I get my Panzers to do what I want ?
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

A dev diary on 3D unreal engine modeling would be good idea.

Scenario designers should be able to use the scenario editor right out of the box. But the tool kit to create new units for PzC2 is different from for PzC.

Giving the community a heads up on what is involved and/or required in the process would allowed interested people a chance to consider their options, since it is not clear how many of the PzC modders are prepared for the switch.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
JaM2013
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by JaM2013 »

definitely about gameplay changes compared to Panzer Corps 1.. any changes and reasons behind the change.
rajatgupta124
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by rajatgupta124 »

Hi, i would like to see infantry and combat. Surely combat will be preferred. Also is the game expected for iOS ?
Rudankort wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:53 pm Hello All!

Ruggs225
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Ruggs225 »

I would like to hear how air warfae and naval warfare were changed and what the bew mehanics are.

Also i would pile to know if this game will be ported to use on iPads.

Game looks great ao far!
robman
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by robman »

(1) Campaigns
(2) Naval warfare
(3) Plans for iPad release (please oh please)
Mark50
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Mark50 »

I`d also like to hear about the planned campaigns, but more to the point I`d like to see a presentation of the units of one or more of the smaller factions that have been neglected in the original PzC.

What I`m reading so far seems very promising, but I`d like to see how much attention has been given to this so i know what I can expect in game. I`m thinking about both the potential of campaigns for the smaller factions (official or user made) and their "historical" involvement in the operations of the larger factions. Personally I`d like to see a presentation of Romania because its troops represented a big chunk of the units present on the Eastern front and were heavily involved on the Western front too. In PzC I and its DLC campaigns their unit roster was so thin (certain unit classes were entirely missing) that they were either underrepresented in the scenarios of even replaced with Italian units. I`m hoping you`ve got things at least to the level of PG II with the current game.
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

Great suggestions guys, keep them coming. I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to cover all, or most of topics requested, although some of them will have to wait a bit longer than others. For example, not all models for minor factions are ready yet, and showing them without models will not be as interesting, so that'll have to wait a bit longer.

Many people ask about iOS version. Alas, at this point I cannot give any definite answer. The game is developed in cross-platform fashion, so theoretical possibility to port it to iOS exists. But it's a huge, huge project. Our last internal build was 6GB, and this is not the end. I don't know if iPad will be able to run the game of this size well. To figure this out, we'll need to do some tests, but this can only happen after PC version is released. Right now our focus is to bring the PC version to you guys as soon as possible.
dalfrede wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:53 pm A dev diary on 3D unreal engine modeling would be good idea.
Scenario designers should be able to use the scenario editor right out of the box. But the tool kit to create new units for PzC2 is different from for PzC.
Giving the community a heads up on what is involved and/or required in the process would allowed interested people a chance to consider their options, since it is not clear how many of the PzC modders are prepared for the switch.
I think it is a great idea. Maybe not as a dev diary, because majority of people are probably not interested in such low-level technical details, but in some other format I think it would make a lot of sense.
PanzerCro wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:51 am Grenadiers coming with transport by default , yes or no ? :)
Well, this is the question to Kresimir, maybe he will give you an answer. Personally, I don't see a huge difference either way. If they come with a transport, their price will be adjusted to include it, so ultimately, in both cases they will cost you the same and have the same stats. Why do you think it is so important? :)
Resolute
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Resolute »

I'd like to see more in-game footage, even it's still only a peek. A list of changes between PC and PC2, especially what (from your point of view) did not work so well in PC and what you're trying to fix.
BigRedJuan
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by BigRedJuan »

I'd like to see more about how you plan to tell the story of the war that links all these separate scenarios into a cohesive story. It can be immersion breaking at times, for instance, on the eastern front knowing that the Russian hordes are bounded by the map constraints and cannot (usually) flank me from off screen. Doing a better job of telling the story of how General Someguy is holding the line on either side off screen helps build that immersion. I want to see how you plan on giving me an idea of accomplishment - again, for example on the eastern front there is no real scale or message giving me the sense I've advanced almost 700 km from Minsk to Moscow. Almost everyone who plays this game is a history buff of some degree, so how do you plan to give us the history that underlies your fantastic (so far) game mechanics? I'd like to see if you have any plan to give voiceover briefings during the deployment phase - I've listened to WWII history podcasts by people like Dan Carlin and Ray Harris Jr. that are almost verbatim descriptions of in-game scenarios, and really give you a sense of why we are fighting a particular battle. Long story short, tell me about how you plan to tell the story of this conflict.
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

BigRedJuan wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:40 pm I'd like to see more about how you plan to tell the story of the war that links all these separate scenarios into a cohesive story. It can be immersion breaking at times, for instance, on the eastern front knowing that the Russian hordes are bounded by the map constraints and cannot (usually) flank me from off screen. Doing a better job of telling the story of how General Someguy is holding the line on either side off screen helps build that immersion. I want to see how you plan on giving me an idea of accomplishment - again, for example on the eastern front there is no real scale or message giving me the sense I've advanced almost 700 km from Minsk to Moscow. Almost everyone who plays this game is a history buff of some degree, so how do you plan to give us the history that underlies your fantastic (so far) game mechanics? I'd like to see if you have any plan to give voiceover briefings during the deployment phase - I've listened to WWII history podcasts by people like Dan Carlin and Ray Harris Jr. that are almost verbatim descriptions of in-game scenarios, and really give you a sense of why we are fighting a particular battle. Long story short, tell me about how you plan to tell the story of this conflict.
+1
also will the new game be more embedded in the historical realities? Will the Devs pay more attention to, for example, the date when the equipment/weapon was introduced to equip the front units in reality? Will there win (as always :( )the so-called "playability" for the price of historical truth?
ptje63
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by ptje63 »

Repeating some of the replies above + new ones:
-changes units compared to PC1
-connecting scenarios to overall picture of the war / larger region
-changes in system of heroes
-changes sea warfare
-will game be issued with vanilla game with extended dls's - or available later on as sort of upgrade
-ingame type of spreadsheet where units can be listed
-please list units in the game alfabetically - not in a random order which does not make sense
-add hero + changes to units specs automatically (now we have to do this manually)
ptje63

Post by ptje63 »

This may have been mentioned elsewhere, sorry if I repeat it if so...

When I first discovered Command & Conquer, one of the things I liked was the soundtrack cd. Instead of a short horrible prehistoric digital tune, a whole cd with inspiring background music came along.
It somehow never got bored, how many times I heard it.
Would love a repeat if this in PC2 - a full cd of wonderful background music suited to the game :-)
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

kondi754 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:24 pm
BigRedJuan wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:40 pm

+1
also will the new game be more embedded in the historical realities? Will the Devs pay more attention to, for example, the date when the equipment/weapon was introduced to equip the front units in reality? Will there win (as always :( )the so-called "playability" for the price of historical truth?

How about SE unit is available when the unit was first available, but standard unit for purchase
or upgrade when it was available front line units?
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

ptje63 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:43 pm This may have been mentioned elsewhere, sorry if I repeat it if so...

When I first discovered Command & Conquer, one of the things I liked was the soundtrack cd. Instead of a short horrible prehistoric digital tune, a whole cd with inspiring background music came along.
It somehow never got bored, how many times I heard it.
Would love a repeat if this in PC2 - a full cd of wonderful background music suited to the game :-)
It would be better still to include an option to choose your own soundtrack or audio feed,.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”