500 AD global campaign - Year 512 battles are up

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Re: 500 AD global campaign using ToC - recruiting

Post by Nijis »

Hi Rex -

WinRar is like zip and WinZip I think should open it, but if not you can get a version of WinRar here: https://www.rarlab.com/download.htm.

I think WinRar is probably worth having as a lot of files are zipped in Rar format, but if you don't want extra apps on your computer, we can get around it. Certainly you can send orders via DM if you can't get the app to work. I can help you with options.

I was thinking of trying a 14-day turn around - a few days for orders, and then 10-11 days for the battle. The first round may require more time until people learn the system though, or we might just want a slower pace altogether, depending on what players think.

Let me know when you've decided on a faction!
Ironclad
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Ironclad »

Factions being snapped up whilst I've been pondering! Better make a choice so I'll go with the Franks if they are still available.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Re deadlines I did wonder about the few days for orders. I never have problems playing battles quickly (subject to the availability of opponent) but I do like a bit of leeway in getting orders in. I was in an enjoyable campaign but its super fast order deadline (a couple of days) was a real turnoff.
Kabill
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Kabill »

Looks like Europe is the place to be, so I'll provisionally put my name down for Ostrogoths. But if anyone else comes along who'd like to play them instead, I's be happy to shift over to somewhere else.
Kabill's Great Generals Mod for FoG2: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=492&t=84915
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Adding everybody in. Anyone out there for Rome? That will round out the west and Mideast nicely, and we can start it up.

I'm going to make a couple of small adjustments to the map so that there's a first-turn flashpoint for each player kingdom. You don't need to send an army there, but it's an obvious spot to do so if you're inclined... I won't tweak the map after the first turn unless there's a bug or some other error.

If for some reason a player isn't fighting any battles one turn, then that player can take over one of the non-player realm's battles and you can get +20 percent to your next influence expansion event (ie, like having Xanthippus lead a Carthaginian army, which was probably good PR for Sparta.)
XLegione
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by XLegione »

Hi mate, I would like to join to the campaign, Roman Empire for me if possible ;-)

Ciao
XLegione
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Rome it is! One purple cloak coming right up. Welcome aboard!

We have enough players to start the game at this point, so I'll finalize the setup and mail everyone the first turn. No rush to get the orders in, and let me know if you need any help or want to just describe what you're doing rather than send the game-generated text file.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

So...

Here is a link for the setup
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9m2artgq3 ... 5.sav/file

If you place it with your savegames in this path you should be able to load it
C:\Users\Steve\Documents\SavedGames\FoG_Campaigns\Player0

I can also email it/DM it to everyone.

What I recommend to do in the first turn - do at least one military order (the cheapest and most efficient is an Intervention in a province where you have competing interests with another player) and then build one or more armies for use next turn, as you never know if your first army will demobilize or not.

If you want to know what the AI is likely to do, feel free and choose that faction and hit the "Do AI for Faction" link. (Ie - the Vandals will probably raid Sardinia.)

I'll put up a screenshot and some scene-setting text shortly...

And as always - we can take new players, and players can switch factions, at any time.
Najanaja
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Najanaja »

My map is not working too well.

Following the start up instructions and opening up single player 220BC; all locations seem to be out of place - eg Cisalpine Gaul is where Rome would be and Sardinia is in Sicily.

And I can't pick up any active links on the map.

For now, can you send me or post the current start positions and I'll send my orders to you.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Ah - rather than start up 220BC, can you load the xml file from the link - fogsavegame_15.sav? That should start the game...

For this, the startup instructions would be...
1) Make sure v 0.3 is installed. You may need to uninstall earlier versions
2) Download the saved campaign file - fogsavgame_15.sav - from this link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/9m2artgq3 ... 5.sav/file

3) Place it in this folder (which probably looks like this, except with your name instead of "Steve") C:\Users\Steve\Documents\SavedGames\FoG_Campaigns\Player0
4) Start the game and load the fogsavgame_15.
5) Make sure the game is in multiplayer mode, choose your realm, and you're ready to issue orders

But, I'll also put up the map and a general list of what you can do, and how much it will roughly cost, so anyone who wants can just send in DMed orders. Give me just a few hours to do that.
Last edited by Nijis on Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Najanaja

Post by Najanaja »

Done that. Don't see fogsave 15 available.

What is the .exe file called?
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

FoG_Campaigns 0.3, I think. Out of the house just now but will doublecheck.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

exeimage.png
exeimage.png (66.54 KiB) Viewed 2855 times
Actually, the app itself is FoG_Campaign, within the FoG_Campaign 0.3 folder that you should get when you unzip. The file type is an application manifest.

The loadscreen should look like what's below. I'll try to put up the map and info needed to send in orders by DM shortly.
loadscreen.png
loadscreen.png (155.34 KiB) Viewed 2854 times
Najanaja

Post by Najanaja »

That all looks OK.

The problem I have is that the mouse is way off when I try to look at a province or when I try to pick up an active link.

Not sure why I can't see the .sav
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Hmm. I tried different screen resolutions and that shouldn't affect the position of the mouse.

One thing that might explain both issues would be if you're using an early version of the game, which I put out about a month ago, that didn't have different focus positions on the screen. If you left-click on a province, does it give you the "Center on " (provincename) option?

Also, does it have "Showing Europe and Mideast" or something similar in the lower right-hand corner of the map?

Regarding the savegame file, can you DM me a screenshot of what the save file looks like in the folder in which you placed it? My email is stephennegus@yahoo.com if it's not easy to attach a screenshot to the Slitherine forum DM.

If it's difficult to take a screenshot, no problem - I'm curious to see if I can solve this but if it's too much of a hassle we can just go with emailed/DMed orders.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

So, let us begin...

TURN 1 - 500 CE
500_ad_turn_1.png
500_ad_turn_1.png (540.55 KiB) Viewed 2836 times
The download link for the Turn 1 savegame is here...
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9m2artgq3 ... 5.sav/file
It is called "fogsavegame_15" and goes into your FoG savegame files:
C:\Users\Steve\Documents\SavedGames\FoG_Campaigns\Player0
If this fails for whatever reason, no problem - just use the information below to tell me what you want to do via DM.

The Germanic kingdoms that have replaced the Roman empire in the west have consolidated their power and are beginning to test their neighbors...
The nascent kingdom of the Burgundians has fractured due to a succession dispute, with different factions of the ruling house leaning towards the Visigoth, the Ostrogoths, and the Franks. The former Roman provinces of Narbonensis, Lugdunensis, and Rhaetia are all in play.
In the north, the new Saxon rulers of Kent and the old Romano-Brythonic kingdom of Dumnonia are backing rival petty kings in Mercia.
In central Europe, a small holdout of Roman civilization on the far side of the Danube, in Dacia, is torn apart by civil strife, with one contender looking to the Ostrogoths and another to the Romans in Constantinople for backing.
A similar dynastic crisis is unfolding in the kingdom of Colchis, except the rivals have turned to the two great superpowers of the late antiquity, Rome and Persia, for help.
Some courtiers in Rome have also suggested campaigns of liberation to reclaim areas of southern Italy current under the rule of the Ostrogoths, and Armenia, recently annexed to Persia.

If you're having trouble with the app, here are your options...
Realms have the following starting resources:
Dumnonia: 95
Visigoths: 108
Ostrogoths: 159
Franks: 106
Rome: 258
Sassanians: 207

To INTERVENE in a province (ie, an area which is contested between two powers, like Narbonensis, contested between the Visigoths and the Ostrogoths) you pay 20 plus *about* 5 per land province between your army and the target, or about 10 for each sea province.

To PACIFY (which is like intervening, but you conquer the province) you pay 70 plus about 5 per province moved.

You can UNIFY a province which is of the same religion and where you have rebels. So, Rome can UNIFY Magna Graecia at a base cost of 70. This means you take it over.

If you have rebels but the province is not of the same religion, then you can LIBERATE. This can make the province an ally/client state rather than part of your realm. This costs 25 plus travel expenses.

Finally, you can RAID a province where you don't have influence. This damages the enemy and can earn you a few resources. It's always good to fight at least one battle per turn. This has a base cost of 10.

I will use the AI for the Vandals, and they will do the following with their 96 resources...
RAID Sardinia using the army in Africa. This costs 10 (base), plus 10 (sea move from Africa to the Tyrrhenian) and another 10 (sea move from the Tyrrhenian to Sardinia) for a total of 30.
They will BUILD another army in Africa for 50 resources.
This uses 80 of their 96 resources.
Najanaja

Post by Najanaja »

[quote]Hmm. I tried different screen resolutions and that shouldn't affect the position of the mouse.[/quote]

Yes I tried that also. It has no significant effect.

Yes I have Centre on Province option

Showing Europe and Mid-East is[u] bottom left[/u]

Screen shot is on the way
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Got it! And... it looks like everything is where it's supposed to be, and yet the file doesn't show up.

Has anyone else been able to load the file correctly, or alternately, is anyone else not having any luck?
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Likewise. Downloaded file but the route you described didn't work. However I found the player0 folder using This PC/Documents/Saved Games/Fog-campaigns/Player0 and in it are the single player saves I have done. However after adding your save file the only file showing to load in the game is my single player campaign one. I did try clicking the multiplayer setup but it doesn't have the new save there either - only the single campign one.

Edit: Different route is explained by my having got all my games in my data (D) folder and I installed the game from there. But as the single player campaign save is showing and working - presumably your new save which i have got in the same folder should show in the list too.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Silly question but can the save list accommodate more than one file? Only my other save files from the same folder(just KB 1 ones) don't appear and i can recall when experimenting with the start I couldn't access an earlier attempt - had assumed I hadn't saved it at the time.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”