Re: Erik's Singleplayer scenarios

Post by Mascarenhas »

Sorry for unwanted repetition of this
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Africa Orientale

Post by Erik2 »

Added objective map markers to both Africa Orientale scenarios.
Links updated in first post.
Deja Bru
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Deja Bru »

Erik, there's a pending question in your campaigns thread where this post belongs and I did not want to cut the questioner off so I will use this thread instead.

While beta-testing your recent campaigns, I was struck by your occasionally sneaking in some interesting history by something as simple as a unit name. Looking at another, much older campaign of yours, I see that you have been in this habit for quite some time as a matter of fact.

In Cape Gloucester / New Britain, when the 1st Marine Division takes the airfield, you spawn a PBY Catalina. Um, okay. But, then I notice that you apply the custom unit name "Cape Air Force" to it. Glibness? No, it's history, though one must plumb the depths (heights?) of the internet to find out about The Cape Gloucester Air Force.

I was tickled by this, so much so that I inserted an event popup to elaborate. I used a photo from that web site and stretched the truth a bit, I guess. :)

Title: Cape Air Force

Image:
photo_cape_gloucester_piper_cub.png
photo_cape_gloucester_piper_cub.png (162.95 KiB) Viewed 4906 times
Text: "The 1st Marine Division has formed an impromptu light air force to aid in reconnaissance and artillery spotting. The so-called Cape Gloucester Air Force is comprised of mostly Piper Cubs but the Marines have borrowed a PBY Catalina from the Navy."

I just thought I would share my appreciation.
- Bru
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Yep, I like to add historical tidbits whenever I come across it.
I'm sure I could do it better, your graphic/txt example is excellent. I may have to nick that whenever you're not looking :D

Stuff like this takes time to gather and present. So I don't do it as often as I should.
GeneralKostas
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Africa Orientale

Post by GeneralKostas »

Erik2 wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:45 am Added objective map markers to both Africa Orientale scenarios.
Links updated in first post.
Good morning,

I have played the scenario and i found it interesting. A huge map with large areas of desert and roads. The Italian units are in every city and around them, so fight is everywhere.

I stopped at 45 round without reach Adis Abeba and Debra Markos. The two final objectives to win the game. I think it is a little bit difficult to reach Adis Abeba, the Italian capital in the center, within 50 rounds. I have played with British and Allied forces. The forces are divided in the north and west. Anti-air units are located only in the west and south, so the units in the north aren't protected from the enemy air attacks. The British air units aren't enough and weak against the Italian. I have noticed the good and smart response of the enemy AI against my movement and advancing.

Have anyone played that scenario?
PhilippeT
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by PhilippeT »

Forgive the stupid question... But, how do I use the new scenarios of OOB with a Mac ? Where to put them and how to load them ? Thank you in advance
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

PhilippeT wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:01 am Forgive the stupid question... But, how do I use the new scenarios of OOB with a Mac ? Where to put them and how to load them ? Thank you in advance
Maybe it's the same as Windows? Try this: Where do custom campaigns and scenarios go?
And if not, it may still point you in the right direction...
PhilippeT

Post by PhilippeT »

Thanks for your answer :)

I tired this on my Mac:

create a folder named Campaigns and one Scenarios in the OOB folder.
put some of Erik's scenarios and a campaign in them.

Open OOB "contents" directory, found folders names campaigns and scenarios in there. put the scenarios and campaigns in them.

Launch OOB. Single player. No Custom button ... No joy...
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

On the PC the installation process creates the folders in the screenshot (except the 'Scenarios vault' which I created for scenarios that I currently do not edit/play).
So you put the custom campaigns/scenarios in the appropriate My Games etc folders, not in the Content etc folders which is for official stuff.

I would guess the Mac installation does something similar.
custom stuff.jpg
custom stuff.jpg (27.3 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
PhilippeT

Post by PhilippeT »

It looks like the Mac installation does not create the same folders you show. I had to create the Campaigns and Scenarios myself. Perhaps the other files you have are invisible on the Mac ?

Thanks anyway for your efforts to help me. You're very kind and patient
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

OK

You should post your issue in the Tech Forum so someone from Slitherine might see it.

viewforum.php?f=372
PhilippeT

Post by PhilippeT »

I finally found another folder with the same files as yours. I put the campaigns and .... it worked !

Thanks again

Best regards
alex1917
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by alex1917 »

Africa Orientale (1940) - very interesting, but the Italians are too strong. a lot of tanks and infantry) despite the fact that the native troops there were mostly) hardcore and historicity would be more)
Erik2

Market Garden v1.2

Post by Erik2 »

Market Garden v1.2

This single player scenario is an updated variant of the old 2v2 multiplayer version.
Link in first post.

Have fun.
steevodeevo

Re: Market Garden v1.2

Post by steevodeevo »

Erik2 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:42 am Market Garden v1.2

This single player scenario is an updated variant of the old 2v2 multiplayer version.
Link in first post.

Have fun.
awesome, many thanks Erik.
steevodeevo

Post by steevodeevo »

This has really made my day :)

I've longed for a 'full scale' Market Garden Campaign in the style of the old classic by D.T. Smith from 1985 for years, never to have found one.

The 1985 Arnhem (which was really an entire Market Garden simulation which started on the Spectrum and was ported to DOS). Had turn limits, the pressure of relieving Arnhem by the end of the Turns (and enabling the Brit Para to survive that long). It had phases and factions: British Armour and Arty coming up the road and fighting off the German ambushes and rear guard in a race against time; US Airborne para-drops on the intervening bridges and then their capture and defence. And the Brit and Polish Paras: their wayward drops, the yomp to Arnhem, and the battle for the town and defence of Arnhem and its Bridge. Smith painstakingly duplicated the hugely complex OOB as well as any game can, given the OOB is so critical to Market Garden, in reality and in order to make it such an absorbing game / simulation. The timing of reinforcements and the balance of the German defence to create the tension and timing of the relief column is also critical and must be so hard to duplicate in a game.

I always day dreamed about envisaging a very large and vertically oriented map with game-play in these 4 phases. I saw it as played from the Allied offence or German (defence and counter) sides.

I have Assault on Arnhem and of course OPART, but to be honest I don't think either do Arnhem justice, largely due to their underlying system mechanics and I think this scenario by Erik has totally nailed all of it. :)

I rest my case!
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

steevodeevo

Glad to make someone a happy camper.
Please report any issues you find in this thread.

Erik
Mascarenhas
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Mascarenhas »

A hell of a scenario! Very good, very challenging. I'm still trying to beat it without some "special tricks*, but I doubt that I shall get more then a minor. BTW, on such terms, at the end ( turn 30 ) I thought I got them all objectives, but the result came just as a draw, Is it pre-coded to be like this? I'm gonna try it with GM now, betting that will be even harder...
mst007
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mst007 »

Just started a 1v1 MP Market-Garden scenario as Allies. It looks fantastic! I`m returning to the game after a long break, mainly due to being pointed in the direction of all of Erik`s scenarios :) I have a question. AFter I dropped the airborne forces and secured LZ`s, DZ`s, supply points etc in the immediate vicinity (the flags change) I then move out and start setting up defensive positions around a perimeter, head to further VP objectives such as Nijmegen etc I`m now on Turn 5 and flag areas in my rear where there are no enemy units have reverted back to German control. Do I have to occupy the flags until they are at full mast? Thanks a ton for any help
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

The paras need to stay on the LZ/DZ until the flag is raised.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”