Battlefield: Europe MOD v2.4

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: Battlefield: Europe MOD v1.9

Post by McGuba »

tactical22 wrote:Dear McGuba,
How can I play the savegames of 1941, 42, 43... If I try to load them nothing happens. I am supposed to put then in a different folder?
Hi,

You need to copy them to the same place where PzC keeps the savegame files. In my computer it is at:
"C:\Users\Dell\Documents\My Games\Panzer Corps\Save\"

Normally it should be under the Documents folder wherever it is, like "...\Documents\My Games\Panzer Corps\Save\"

Then, if PzC is updated to v1.30 and the mod is installed correctly, and if it is unchanged, the savegames should show up in the load game section and work just fine.
What are your future plans for this gorgeous mod?
I sporadically still work on the next version which, as always, will bring some changes and fixes, but the main focus would be on the multiplayer mode as I cannot really add new features and events to the single player mode due to game engine limitations (mainly lack of AI zones).
Some suggestions about the massive scenario: Third world war? Play as allies? Operation unthinkable? Lord of the rings world?
Yeah, the possibilities are nearly endless, and I do have a few more ideas, but to realize them would require a lot of free time which I do not really have since I work full time. :(

And by the way, if I can finaly better balance the multiplayer version it will be very much possible to play the Allies against a human opponent. Which will be a lot of fun, for sure, as it is already. However, I do not think it will ever be possible to make the AI of PzC smart enough to control the Axis on a scale like this convincingly. The main problem is, to keep it historically accurate, the Allies have to outnumber the Axis significantly, but the AI plays very poorly against overwhelming odds, especially on a global scale. It would be too easy to exploit the AI's weaknesses on a large map like this as it cannot think globally and it only have a very limited tactical awareness. So probably it would be too easy to beat it playing from the Allied side. Anyway, after I finish with the next multiplayer version of the mod I might give it a go using it as a starting point and see how far I can push it.
dalfrede wrote: Goose would like to play this and other mods, but has minimal computer skills.

He has not asked for help.
But in an attempt to help him [or embarrass him into doing it ] I am writing a topic in the main forum on Mods for Dummies.
Which is a great initiative, and should be made a sticky topic. You might want to give a reference to this as well:

"How to install Generic Mod Enabler":
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27158

which is the recommended method of installing complex mods like mine or that of bebro's or Uhu's, which add or change graphics, equipment, units, and just about every aspect of the game. Placing modded scenarios in the "...\Documents\My Games\Panzer Corps\Mods\" folder can only use the vanilla game files (equipment, graphics, etc.) allowing limited modding possibilities.

The other method would be the "hard copy" - in that one the user has to create a new folder on his computer, give it the name of the mod, then copy all the contets of the "Panzer Corps" folder (basicly the whole game) and then copy over it the contents of the mod and overwrite all the files in that second copy of Panzer Corps. Then he will have the original game in its original folder and the modded Panzer Corps in another. Then he can run the modded game with the PanzerCorps.exe from that modded folder.

Unfortunately this second method also requires some basic computer skills like creating a folder and copying stuff, which not everybody possess. :( And when the person is fed up with that modded PzC he has to delete the whole folder manually.
But the campaign.pzdat file appears to be a short version on the original main campaign file.
Is there a clean campaign file I could use, or a campaign path from which I could write one.
I do not really understand what you mean by this. I did edit the original campaign.pzdat file for my mod because the campaign in my mod is much "shorter", in the sense that there are only 4-5 scenarios in it, even if the last one starting in 1941 is a massive one. So the modded campaign.pzdat file follows this new and shortened campaign structure. Basically the shorter pre-Barbarossa scenarios only serve as tutorials for the main 99 turn long global scenario, to teach the various game rule and game mechanics changes that I made.
ImageImage
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969
dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by dalfrede »

McGuba wrote: Which is a great initiative, and should be made a sticky topic. You might want to give a reference to this as well:

"How to install Generic Mod Enabler":
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27158
The goal for my project is to avoid GME and overwriting any files.
I first thought I might be limited to Nico's equip mod. But Nico's inport of GC40's army into AK Mod showed a wider project was possible.

For BattleFieldEurope I moved the GUID file and dropped BattleFieldEurope into my mods folder, it 90% worked, so I posted here to get the ball rolling while I looked closer at the issues. My hope is you would post with a modified campaign file to make it easy for the user.

Here is the DLC/Mod Start screen.
Screen ShotBFE0.jpg
Screen ShotBFE0.jpg (68.73 KiB) Viewed 4825 times
I have modified the campaign file and got this:
Screen ShotBFE1.jpg
Screen ShotBFE1.jpg (57.23 KiB) Viewed 4825 times
It is clearly not optimal but should give enough info to modify to your tastes.

McGuba wrote: Placing modded scenarios in the "...\Documents\My Games\Panzer Corps\Mods\" folder can only use the vanilla game files (equipment, graphics, etc.) allowing limited modding possibilities.
That's what I though too, but:
The attachment Screen ShotBFE2.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
Screen ShotBfE2.jpg
Screen ShotBfE2.jpg (194.07 KiB) Viewed 4825 times
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

Continuing from previous post. [Had a weird double image attachment that I sort of edited out .]

Here is the campaign file:
BfEcampaign.pzdat.zip
(1.94 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Note: I am doing these PzC tests on a Mac using Wineskin, so things may work differently under Windows, but I doubt it.

I opened some of the large maps in the editor. if I scrolled around the editor crashed :( . So I don't know it I can actually play this Mod.
I don't don't know how to turn off cache in Wineskin.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
Intenso82
Most Successful Mod 2017
Most Successful Mod 2017

Post by Intenso82 »

A few ideas for the multiplayer version,
perhaps they will seem interesting.

1. Several units of the V-1 air launch.
There were about 1000+ such launches.
Switch-unit He-111 + V1. Switching only to V1.
In addition, the script can limit the lifetime of V1.
If the player does not use the unit for 1 turn in V1 mode, at the end of the turn, the units V1 are destroyed.

In general, it seems like it was a prototype of today's cruise missile air launch.

2. Strategic bombing.
In contrast to the bombing of German cities,
The possibility for the Germans to bomb London, if they decide on it.

3. Since there is a railway in England. It is worth using them and allies.
To do this, add 2 trains for Allies. :)

4. In the event of a possible defeat of the Allies,
make for them a similar scheme with the core of units, like the Axis.
Limit in for example 150 or more core units.
So that when the total units is lower, they could buy units for prestige.
If things go bad with them.

5. Since the Allies had access to the Enigma, they could determine the position of the German submarines.
Add a message with the number of submarines operating on convoy routes.

6. Add more Wunderwaffe at the end of the war, which axis can be bought for a large amount of prestige. But without limits.
[MOD] RUSSIA AT WAR:1941 - http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=75743
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

Intenso,

For your question in PM, yes I had another icon for the Soviet M-class (Malyutka), but it is just a modification of the German Type II as these two look quite similar:
M_class.png
M_class.png (11.34 KiB) Viewed 4737 times
I did not make an icon for the S-class though, as it was not that numerous as the M or Shch classes so for now I do not plan to use it in my mod. But it looks quite similar to the German Type IX and there was some collaboration between German and Soviet engineers when they created these two types. So I think the German Type IX icon could be modified a bit for that one. Also they had about the same size.

As for your suggestions, The underlying problem with the multiplayer version of this mod is still the same: how to make it (somewhat) balanced while maintaining a strong, but not even historically accurate Allied numerical superiority. Currently in the editor the counter shows a 2.3 to 1.0 Allied superiority both in unit numbers and combined unit cost, when probably it should be 3 or 4 to 1 to make it more historical. But I do not think that a human player could achive victory against another human player with such odds. Therefore the Axis side needs some other advantages to make it more even.

So let's see:
1. Several units of the V-1 air launch.
There were about 1000+ such launches.
Switch-unit He-111 + V1. Switching only to V1.
In addition, the script can limit the lifetime of V1.B
If the player does not use the unit for 1 turn in V1 mode, at the end of the turn, the units V1 are destroyed.
Yes, it is possible to make it and earlier I was thinking about the same for the single scenario version, but in the end it would be more like an interesting flavour than a thing with a real effect on the war. Given the scale of the scenario there would only be 2-4 such multipurpose He-111 units as the majority of the V1s were launched from the ground. In the end it would not make a big difference - as it did not have a big effect historically, either. But it is indeed an interesting historical feature and could be adopted.
2. Strategic bombing.
In contrast to the bombing of German cities,
The possibility for the Germans to bomb London, if they decide on it.
Now this is interesting, but due to the limited number of AI zones London does not have its own zone, but all the victory cities in Britain has one zone (zone 4). So basically it would apply to all major cities like Liverpool or Glasgow, too. But it is not a problem. A second Blitz is indeed an interesting altenative and could accompany the invasion of England, reduce Allied prestige quite a bit and maybe increase the Axis prestige as well slightly. I will think about it.
3. Since there is a railway in England. It is worth using them and allies.
To do this, add 2 trains for Allies. :)
This is still my biggest concern. Although I am aware that the Allies would need some train capacity, but it would drastically change the odds, giving the Allies an even bigger advantage on top of their numerical superiority. However, two rail transports might not be that fatal so probably I will do so, just to try it. But only after 1942. In 1941 the Axis should have at least a theoretical chance to reach Moscow and a very real chance to encircle Kiev. In our previous test play I could hardly encircle Kiev on time and was very far from threatening Moscow or Leningrad. If the Soviets have rail transports as early as in 1941, then the Allied player can easily transfer several units from the hinterland to the front and close down all the roads and river crossings and then the historical situation cannot be recreated. So I think the rail transports could be on the map in turn 1, but remain immobilized by roadblocking units for a while.

And then of course all the current Soviet reinforcement units have to be re-checked as they are now being placed with the dumb AI in mind, which does not use rail transports at all (so that they do not reach the frontline before they historically should).

4. In the event of a possible defeat of the Allies,
make for them a similar scheme with the core of units, like the Axis.
Limit in for example 150 or more core units.
So that when the total units is lower, they could buy units for prestige.
If things go bad with them.
It is curretly set at 25, but yes, could be increased to like 125. But then Allied naval units and mines and bunkers would be auxiliary units so that the Allied player cannot simply disband these to free up core slots and purchase more usefuel units. Currently the same applies to the Axis units.
5. Since the Allies had access to the Enigma, they could determine the position of the German submarines.
Add a message with the number of submarines operating on convoy routes.
Already done it.
6. Add more Wunderwaffe at the end of the war, which axis can be bought for a large amount of prestige. But without limits.
If the Axis has a lot of prestige at the end of the war they do not need Wonder Weapons as they are winning anyway. Nevertheless, if being on the losing side, the Axis will get a few more Wonder Weapons for free to even the odds.
ImageImage
Intenso82
Most Successful Mod 2017
Most Successful Mod 2017

Post by Intenso82 »

McGuba wrote: I had another icon for the Soviet M-class
Nice icon.
McGuba wrote:I did not make an icon for the S-class though, as it was not that numerous as the M or Shch classes so for now I do not plan to use it in my mod. But it looks quite similar to the German Type IX and there was some collaboration between German and Soviet engineers when they created these two types. So I think the German Type IX icon could be modified a bit for that one. Also they had about the same size.
It is interesting.
They have a similar outer hull and only the superstructure is different.
According to my information, 44 Shch-class boats and a 30 S-class boats participated in the WW2.
McGuba wrote: Given the scale of the scenario there would only be 2-4 such multipurpose He-111 units as the majority of the V1s were launched from the ground. In the end it would not make a big difference - as it did not have a big effect historically, either. But it is indeed an interesting historical feature and could be adopted.
Yes, if add several units, it will be more like a fan.
But if we assume a strategic bombardment of England and make a free purchase of an air V1.
But there may be a dilemma so that the value of V1 is less than the value of the prestige it takes from the Allies.
For example, a very cheap purchase price of 50 prestige and 100 prestige for being above the strategic point.
Of course this is already from the "what if" series of scenarios.
McGuba wrote: So I think the rail transports could be on the map in turn 1, but remain immobilized by roadblocking units for a while.

And then of course all the current Soviet reinforcement units have to be re-checked as they are now being placed with the dumb AI in mind, which does not use rail transports at all (so that they do not reach the frontline before they historically should).
Since 1942, I think this is a good idea.

As for rework reinforcements.
Yes, for 2 trains. To rework the whole system of reinforcements is too much work.
Maybe consider the option, remove the railroad from the Urals to Gorky.
Where are the main zones of reinforcements.
McGuba wrote:As for your suggestions, The underlying problem with the multiplayer version of this mod is still the same: how to make it (somewhat) balanced while maintaining a strong, but not even historically accurate Allied numerical superiority. Currently in the editor the counter shows a 2.3 to 1.0 Allied superiority both in unit numbers and combined unit cost, when probably it should be 3 or 4 to 1 to make it more historical. But I do not think that a human player could achive victory against another human player with such odds. Therefore the Axis side needs some other advantages to make it more even.
About the balance of forces of the Axis and the Allies.
Yes, this is not an easy task.

But you can try to add a metric - a "full tonnage" of prestige for each side.
According to which the cost of units is considered + the prospective prestige received for the 99 turns.
Those It also takes into account the expense of prestige that is spent on reinforcements.
Then the ratio can change.
Also, Axis has a strong advantage in the ability to buy any units anywhere,
which is absent from the Allies.
[MOD] RUSSIA AT WAR:1941 - http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=75743
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

Intenso82 wrote:It is interesting.
They have a similar outer hull and only the superstructure is different.
According to my information, 44 Shch-class boats and a 30 S-class boats participated in the WW2.
Sure, so in the end I made an icon for the S-class (Stalinets) as well, just because I like it:
S_class.png
S_class.png (13.87 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
Yes, if add several units, it will be more like a fan.
But if we assume a strategic bombardment of England and make a free purchase of an air V1.
But there may be a dilemma so that the value of V1 is less than the value of the prestige it takes from the Allies.
For example, a very cheap purchase price of 50 prestige and 100 prestige for being above the strategic point.
Of course this is already from the "what if" series of scenarios.
Currently prestige loss is not a problem for the Allies (especially if they are already invading France) as they always get new units for free. But hitting England with V rockets can generate some prestige for the Axis side. But it should not be overdone. The V-weapons are generally regarded as a wastage of efforts a resources.
As for rework reinforcements.
Yes, for 2 trains. To rework the whole system of reinforcements is too much work.
Maybe consider the option, remove the railroad from the Urals to Gorky.
Where are the main zones of reinforcements.
I reworked many things, already. :) The problem is, I always find another thing that needs to be reworked, haha.
ImageImage
Intenso82
Most Successful Mod 2017
Most Successful Mod 2017

Post by Intenso82 »

McGuba wrote: Sure, so in the end I made an icon for the S-class (Stalinets) as well, just because I like it:
Oh, very nice icon.
McGuba wrote:I reworked many things, already. :) The problem is, I always find another thing that needs to be reworked, haha.
Its good. :D
Paperpanzer
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Paperpanzer »

Thanks McGuba for such a great MOD,

I've got the mod working now but did have an initial problem where the MOD would install I'd get the choice of campaigns to start but when starting a game I got a blank map...I could play previously save games though :?:

I got around it by uninstalling all PzC items, a clean install of the base PzC - Updates - MOD's and BINGO!

I'm just working my way through Poland at the moment and loving the graphic changes, I think i'll give the wavy flags a miss but looks like the change to the unit markers is a must at my age...

Keep up the good work
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

Hi,

I am glad that you could make it work. Yes, a clean and updated base PzC to v1.30 or 1.31 is a must for this mod. Then it should be fine. Just make sure you also add "/nocache" to PanzerCorps.exe otherwise the main scenario would crash to desktop after a few turns. The only alternative to this is to save and restart after each turn.

If you are a new player to this mod, in order to avoid disappointment, I recommend starting the main Barbarossa scenario at "medium" or "easy" difficulty as most players fail in their first attempt when try to beat it in "realistic". (Unless you are a veteran player of PzC and/or do not mind getting the historical result...)
ImageImage
TangSooDo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by TangSooDo »

I have been successfully playing the first US DLC 1942 while having BE installed in GME. So far it works. I suspect certain equipment doesn't make the translation however. Very interesting and fun, nevertheless. I would like to know how to use the vanilla unit icons on the strategic map however as my old eyes (I've been playing wargames since the 1960's) have a hard time picking out units at the strategic level, especially the light gray Axis forces.
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

TangSooDo wrote:I have been successfully playing the first US DLC 1942 while having BE installed in GME. So far it works.
So far, so good. :)
I suspect certain equipment doesn't make the translation however.
I do not really know what you mean by this.
I would like to know how to use the vanilla unit icons on the strategic map however as my old eyes (I've been playing wargames since the 1960's) have a hard time picking out units at the strategic level, especially the light gray Axis forces.
I do not recommend using them as unfortunately the game does not rescale them to the size of the map so in the end they would totally overlap each other, making it very difficult, if not impossible to assess the actual situation:

Therefore, I decided to create smaller symbols that would fit the scale of the map. However, I am aware that for some players it is difficult to see especially the Axis forces due to its colour. Luckily, another player has recently made a quick fix for this problem by recolouring them to blue, which is less historical, but might be more eye-friendly, especially during the winter turns:

It is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9i4u3i5ipijcj ... 9.zip?dl=0

If you like it, you just need to install it AFTER the main BE mod with JSGME, and when it asks for overwriting the original files, just click yes. I think I will add it to the first page as an optional sub-mod for those with a similar problem.
ImageImage
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

Reporting a bug: Lübeck and Rostock are major German cities (included in the bombing penalty), but they have no German cross symbols on them on the map.
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

Ah, yeah I noticed it some time ago and already fixed, but thanks.
ImageImage
uzbek2012
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by uzbek2012 »

Say the author is not in the plans for the victory of the Wehrmacht so divide the US !? ;)
Kraxler
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Kraxler »

It's going to be crazy, now I have the PC version 1.31 on it with the MOD Battlefield 1.9 and in round 44 the game says goodbye
Now I do not know how to continue, should I omit the 4gb patch? No idea, modded the MOD with the JSGME ....
Ask for help, I never had this problem with Battlefield 1.6
Kraxler

Post by Kraxler »

can someone help me about battlefield 1.9 help?
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

Be more specific: what happened exactly? The game showed an error message and froze?
If yes, I don't know, I encountered such only in the 2nd, French scenario. Many times the game freeze since 1.30, but I can continue after reloading.
Did you try to load the game from earlier turn(s)?
Kraxler wrote:It's going to be crazy, now I have the PC version 1.31 on it with the MOD Battlefield 1.9 and in round 44 the game says goodbye
Now I do not know how to continue, should I omit the 4gb patch? No idea, modded the MOD with the JSGME ....
Ask for help, I never had this problem with Battlefield 1.6
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

War report XVVILMC:
Because of withdrawal symptoms I started to play with the 1.9 again. :)
Now, with Kursk pre-save. Rommel difficulty, of course, with manual calculated prestige income. Also playing the Finns historically - this means, until the capture of Leningrad, they do not goes south, neither with land, or with airforce - but they can andvance towards Arhangelsk. The prestige halving is a good simulation for the dire fuel situation of the Axis too.
I did not played Kursk since 1.7-1.8 (?), because there is no more a chance to make a DV - with earlier versions, it was possible, although it was extreme hard. While to make an MV is a relative easy task, if the player brings a Panther and the Stuh 42 to Plymouth and with capturing it, cancels the Normandy invasion. To make some more challange, I planned to capture England - also to stop the annoying bombing campaigns.

I must say, it is DEFINITELY harder, than the earlier versions! It really show up, what McGuba referred and edited, that the Allied power got massive stronger from 1943. I feel it, especially with the Red Airforce. It's brutal. My plan is no more destroying the Red Air force units - because I simply do not have the power for that, while also protecting partly my land troops. My new strategy is to weaken them: so, when they fly home for resupply, they will loose another 1-2 turn to replace the losses too.
- I could hardly eliminate the Sicily landing operation, but I had success.
- I made the usual preparations for the landing south of London. With the help of the 21cm and the super-heavy gun, I could destroy the strongpoints to 1, than bring the troop transports with 2xPanthers, 1x PzIV and 1x StuH 42 and land. So it went smoothly, I could take London too.
- I captured after very intensive fights Moscow, cleared the region till to Gorky.
- I could also clear the region around Kursk, although holding Voronezh is a hard task, I already lost a PzGrenadier corps in the city. :(
- I started with a not very strong army to take Stalingrad (without tanks and artillery and bombers - just inf, AT's and fighters for protection - I try to take out first the annoying 4-range gun and AA gun by crossing the Volga. Not an easy task, even in winter...hopefully I succeed, because the city is a bastion and a staging point for further operations into the north and southeast too.
- I made a little, but effective army of German and Romanian mountain troops, some AT guns plus the two 75mm guns to capture Grozny - and if possible, maybe Baku too. The fuel situation had to be made better!
- The Anglo-American air power, especially the fighter force is simply a terror! So many times had I reload and find out another solution to avoid my fighters butchered, while also protecting somehow my invasion force and the rest of my navy.
- Oh yes, not to forget! I had enough, that the Tirpitz couldn' be used, so I took her out. My plan was to destroy as many Allied destroyers as possible, to lower the later danger, when I invade England. But in the meantime, the invasion of Norwegen was triggered, so I was caught in suprise, while I hunted in the winter of 1943/44 with sneak//hit and rund style attacks the destroyers! :shock: :D Luckily, with a few Uboats sacrificed, I could destroy the troop transports, while also weakening the destroyer arm. Still, there will come enough later after my the Engalnd-invasion is initiated... (while the well experienced and hero-Uboats are long gone...)
- I ordered a single recon battalion (halftracked one) to make a daring move, sail through the dangerous Mediterranean see and capture as many objective in Libia, as possible. Intelligence got the info, that these are not really defended. They will be again recaptured, but with the recapture of them by the Axis forces, much chaos, morale rising and war material can be collected (prestige income!).
That's all very nice, BUT! I forgot about the Finns! SPOILER!

1., I do not remember exactly but around Sept 1944, if Leningrad will be not taken, they quit. What is really problematic, if I want to take Archangelsk, because the small Finnish army is good enough to take the city "from behind". After I cleared the area east of Moscow, I did not had the time to take Leningrad timely. So - reload many turns earlier...
2., With a really villainous move, the Allied started another smaller landing operation at Sicily at turn 73, for I was absolute not prepared! :shock: First I could gather somehow 2x Italian heavy assault guns, but with 275 prestige/turn and 440 prestige/vehicle meant that all other resupply was stopped, which made a very strong break in my operations everywhere. So, I had to reload it from turn 61......... :cry:

So, I'm far from the end of the war. What I felt, that the frustration/swearing-factor is almost as high, as with the Normandy save. :evil: :roll: :D
Kraxler

Post by Kraxler »

I play the Panzer Corps version 1.31 with the MOD Battlefield 1.9. The game just says goodbye and my desktop image appears

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”