A long beach. With trenches. Sandstorm - Review and Discuss

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Andy2012
Order of Battle Moderator

A long beach. With trenches. Sandstorm - Review and Discuss

Post by Andy2012 »

Gentlemen (and the occassional Gentlewomen, of course),

break out the sun blocker, shorten your khakis and roll up your towels - we're hitting the beach. With mortar shells, of course.
Sandstorm is coming out today and what I have seen and played so far in the beta, it is going to be a DLC with a campaign to be remembered.
Mobility is key, your supplies are always dwindling and the blistering sand is chafing your privates.

I have played most of the missions in several beta iterations, but will post about my experiences with the latest version here.
My focus will be campaign strategy, unit choices and core development. Feel free to comment. Let's Rommel!

Until the DLC is available in stores and Steam and what have you, check out this documentary channel (if you havent already). Great infos on the Afrika campaign and an in-depth discussion of major battles, continuously updated and meticulously researched. This guy deserves your views!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMv9YN11xkY
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: A long beach. With trenches. Sandstorm - Review and Disc

Post by Shards »

FYI, Sandstorm should be out at approx 3pm CEST today

Ta!
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Watched the whole thing, Andy. I'm psyched to relive this crazy race through the desert in OOB!
Oleksandr
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Oleksandr »

Can we also expect a patch which will fix old bugs and issues?
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Yes
GUNDOBALDO08
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by GUNDOBALDO08 »

Notice bugs on 3D planes models....
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Yeah, that shader issue snuck back in without us noticing!
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Okay, download for Steam is complete. Lets take this baby for a spin...
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

I am very pleased that there will be no Waffen SS in Africa.
Developers have removed this specialization in line with historical realities.
I also think that the balance of the game is the most important in this case. In Sandstorm, we already have 2 factions, introduction 3rd could unnecessarily simplify the game.
Let's keep Africa free from Nazism !!! :mrgreen:

Did you know that DAK soldiers listened to Radio Belgrade's broadcast?
The signal from the German's radio stations was too weak in Africa, so Wehrmacht set up its own German-language broadcasting station in occupied Yugoslavia for German soldiers stationed in the Mediterranean. Music programs were the most popular.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

kondi754 wrote: Let's keep Africa free from Nazism !!! :mrgreen:
... by invading it with Wehrmacht troops. Sound plan. Let's do it. :mrgreen:
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Alright, first mission is done and I rommeled the British out of Tobruk. Erwin, take notes. :wink:
Medium diff, 29 turns. Close call, but all primary and secondary objectives.
Anyways, here's what I bought:
Wehrmacht: Upgraded the Pz III to J version, put Rommel in it. 1x RegInf with halftracks, 1 PzIVE, 2 Stukas, 1 Me 109 fighter, 1 recon plane. Added a second Pz IVE later.
Italians: 1 fighter, 1 medium arty, 1 heavy arty, 3 Bersaglieri with transport.

After I pushed the first British defenders aside easily, I went north fast with my infantry units and pushed my tank columns east through the desert. Let them converge around the west of Tobruk, pushing the Australians from Benghazi all along the coast towards Tobruk. Then, move along Tobruk's southern perimeter and head for Bardia and Sollum. Avoid the Tobruk AA. You may take a few arty hits, but dont bother too much. Repair and move on. Bardia and Sollum dont have air cover, use your Stukas as mobile arty here and knock them out. Meanwhile, position your arty south of Tobruk and begin shelling.
I think the best avenue to take the port and do what Rommel could not do initially is assault from the east. Bring that engineer to get through the minefields and hit them with your PzIV Es. When their AA is weakend, add your Stukas to the mix. The key is assault from the east and go straight for the port with tanks while hitting Bardia and Sollum at the same time. It is a close call, but doable. I can upload a replay, if anybody is interested.

Generally, this DLC underlines (unlike Panzerkrieg, which plays differently) the supremacy of mobile warfare and supply dynamics. I like that. Everybody, unless you buy transport for your infantry and arty, you will never succeed. Also, hit the spacebar and see where the supply bases are. In Panzerkrieg, almost all villages had units in them and were supply hubs. Fast advances mostly were not possible or necessary. Sandstorm plays differently, you need to cover the map and hit those supply nodes fast. Infantry with halftracks is a good option here - which were not an option in Blitzkrieg and Panzerkrieg for me, they were just wayyy too expensive. Here, you get few CP for your Wehrmacht, but a lot of credits. Invest them in tanks and mobile infantry to get an edge on the British.

Well, I think that's it. How are you guys doing?
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

In general (sic), I think I play in a similar manner to Andy.

I'm always a level 3 player (I play for fun and to explore the levels, not so much to bash my head against walls of tanks :D ). As with all OoB campaigns, it definitely helps to get yourself in the mind-set of the theatre. So, put those men in trucks, use your recons and think about which units you want where? Your tanks do much better in the sands than on the hilly bluffs!
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Snow camo for German vehicles.
It's very easy now if anyone knows how to do it.
cutydt02
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by cutydt02 »

This campaign is very different. I completed ww, blizkrieg and panzerkrieg with bunch of regular infantry without transport, they are cheap and move fast enough to cover panzer rear. And now everyone suggests me get them transport (more money and land point). But the biggest problem is the italian army, i always hear about their bad reputation so i dont know what units should i buy, to act as german army or just meat shield and defend rear ?
P/s: i was shocked when opened tanks, anti tank and aircraft of italian, so poor stats. A war machine or toy ? Lol
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

The Italian Infantry is okay. It's comparable to the German infantry and is a good use of your Command Points as yes, the Italian Tanks are inferior!

Their Artillery is okay though and their updated fighters are worth taking. And once the Mobile AT guns become available, they're well worth investing in!
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

cutydt02 wrote:This campaign is very different. I completed ww, blizkrieg and panzerkrieg with bunch of regular infantry without transport, they are cheap and move fast enough to cover panzer rear. And now everyone suggests me get them transport (more money and land point). But the biggest problem is the italian army, i always hear about their bad reputation so i dont know what units should i buy, to act as german army or just meat shield and defend rear ?
P/s: i was shocked when opened tanks, anti tank and aircraft of italian, so poor stats. A war machine or toy ? Lol
Yes, this DLC works differently and has different gameplay. I will post about my strategy and unit choices here.
cutydt02

Post by cutydt02 »

I think i will play burma road when wait for ur seriously thread bro. Love this game <3
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

It's still uploading, but all objectives on level 3 of Tobruk, just because people wanted to see it done :)

https://youtu.be/IpqgrMnJVh8
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Shards wrote:It's still uploading, but all objectives on level 3 of Tobruk, just because people wanted to see it done :)

https://youtu.be/IpqgrMnJVh8
Finished uploading now
ShawnP
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by ShawnP »

Man, Sandstorm looks good! Loved reading about Rommel and the North Africa portion of WWII when I was a kid.

New to OOB, but with the DLC sale and Sandstorm... Well, I should have plenty to play for a while (...and questions, of course).

PS - Thanks for the documentary link Andy and your AAR/tips/strategy; Shards, will be watching your replay later. :)

Thanks
Shawn

Return to “Order of Battle Series”