Diferences between Spartan & Gates of Troy

PC/MAC : Turn based Empire building in the ancient Greek World.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

dejvid2
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Diferences between Spartan & Gates of Troy

Post by dejvid2 »

I have Spartan but am curious to know how Gates of Troy differs apart from the extra scenarios.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Diferences between Spartan & Gates of Troy

Post by pipfromslitherine »

From memory, some key changes were ability to zoom the main map, and the ability to create vassal states. But it was a long time ago :)

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
dejvid2

Post by dejvid2 »

pipfromslitherine wrote:From memory, some key changes were ability to zoom the main map, and the ability to create vassal states. But it was a long time ago :)

Cheers

Pip
Thanks, much appreciated. I've just played a scenario in which I built the League HQ expecting to get the ability to create vassal states but it merely gave me better ways of making states friendly so that is likely to be a change.

Looking at the reviews it does look as if the battles are bigger. Were there any changes in the AI? By AI I mean the way the way the units behave when unleashed rather than whether the computer player is more cunning about how it deploys its troops.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

I honest cannot recall. My gut is that there would not be.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
dejvid2

Post by dejvid2 »

pipfromslitherine wrote:I honest cannot recall. My gut is that there would not be.

Cheers

Pip
Thanks very much for the reply.

Maybe someone who is currently playing Gates of Troy will post a reply in the next few months. I'll keep checking.
HanibalBarka
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by HanibalBarka »

Hey all.

I have GoT installed but in campaign menu i dont see maps from 4-12 !

Are those maps from Spartan ?

And my question is how do i add those Spartan maps to GoT ?

Thanks
Mazeppa
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Mazeppa »

I've played both games - though I've lost the Spartan CD quite a while ago.
But iirc, there are some subtle differences between the two games.

- One aspect is that there are tons of new units and civs in GOT than in Spartan, such as Nobles, Massed archers, Thorakitai etc... and you can still play the Greek civs in GOT in some of the campaigns.

- Another aspect is that you can vassalize any group - though it takes a certain amount of how good your relations are with them if you plan on doing so.. but some are easier to vassalize than others. I think it also depends on your civ as well.

- The diplomatic system seems to be much more unpredictable in GOT than in Spartan. And I mean - in Spartan, if you see diplomatic relations going sour, you can remedy it right away, preventing any tendency for them to wage an all-out war with you... but in GOT, even if you remedy sour relations, they can revert back to low values again!!

- You can recruit hoplite mercenaries in GOT as soon as you get Silver 2 researched (iirc), no matter what ethnic group you are... persian, eastern, tribal, roman. But they cost an insane amount of silver, are expensive to upkeep and their morale I believe, are lower than normal hoplites - and even the latter I deemed as unsatisfactory.

- Iirc, there are also additional options to use in diplomacy, and you get to build the Trojan Horse - though it doesn't really contribute much, other than maximize the number of diplomatic options you can use.

- Another aspect is the ability to recruit heroes. These work similar to the general, where they increase the troop morale of armies around them. I think these guys are stronger than horseback generals but I'm not too sure... and of course, you get to control heroes like Achilles, Patroclus, Aeneas, Leonidas etc in some of the campaigns, and their stats are different to that of normal heroes.

- The A.I I believe are wiser in GOT than in Spartan, but I'm not too sure. For instance, in Spartan, you could just build a Level 1 city wall and you're already safe - the enemy A.I just plainly attacks you... but in GOT, the A.I can siege, tho' you can still exploit the A.I by restricting their access to your city with only 2 passages, and have an army block one off, and then the other as soon as they change course.

- New maps.
- Zoom in function

That's just the top of my head.. I'm sure I missed others. I recommend buying it tho'. It adds a ton of new features you won't get from Spartan, and it's by itself, a far superior game. Besides you even get the same grand campaign from Spartan in GOT as well - with minor changes, so you're not really missing much from Spartan by getting GOT.

Return to “Spartan & Gates of Troy”