Sengoku Jidai tournament 2018

stegg88
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Sengoku Jidai tournament 2018

Post by stegg88 »

Hi folks!

not sure if this is the right place to do this, but I would be interested in either setting up or just participating in a sengoku jidai tournament. Would be nice to get a feel for how many people are interested in something like this. Please leave a comment below if you are interested, I will mention to people while playing online, if we can get enough people together we could get a small tournament or league started.
LFDLM
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Sengoku Jidai tournament 2018

Post by LFDLM »

Deal me in !
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

LFDLM wrote:Deal me in !
ditto
Chromey

Post by Chromey »

hai *bows*
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by KiwiWarlord »

"Hai " waves sword around.
stegg88

Post by stegg88 »

stegg88
Kiwiwarlord
LFDLM
GDod
Chromey

Do we want to do like a league or something? And should there be like a standardisation for the battles? Like sengoku jidai period, 1200 points or something? I haven't done this before so any advice is great, I just want to give the games more meaning regardless of whether I come last or not haha.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Bard.jpg
The Bard.jpg (2.69 KiB) Viewed 8385 times
Two Suggestions...that have been used previously

A
This is the Slitherine Tournament rules.
The Tournament System uses a non-elimination format, also called a Swiss-system tournament. In this kind of competition each player meets one-to-one in each round and is paired using a predetermined set of rules designed to ensure everyone gets a good game against an equal opponent.

In the first round players are paired randomly. In subsequent rounds player are ranked by their cumulative score and 1st place plays 2nd, 3rd plays 4th and so on. Players cannot be drawn against the same opponent twice so the draw is adjusted to prevent this. If there are an odd number of player, the player in last place will have no opponent and gets awarded a win or BYE. A BYE will get you almost a maximum score so you do not get penalized for having no opponent.

The winner is the player with the highest aggregate points earned in all rounds.

B

A Round Robin system where each player plays everyone and points are awarded for win, draw, loss. Matches could consist of Round Robin mirror games. The winner is the player with the highest aggregate points earned in all rounds.

To either of these sytems you could add teams? Japanese vs Chinese, Players Country of Origin, Hair colour :roll:

Either way

Points awarded should reward efforts to inflict maximum casualties on the enemy while ensuring your own casualties remain low

Formulae: Winner = 6.0pts + difference between scores divided by 10. Loser = enemy casualties divided by 10

Hence a game result of 40% vs 15%: Winner receives 6.0+3.5 (40/10=3.5) = 9.5 ; Loser receives 1.5

To these you could add objectives such as ...points for Generals killed, or battlefield terrain objectives

Hope this helps, main thing is to have fun :D

Continuing the theme: "Hai" fumbles around to find his missing head :roll:
stegg88

Post by stegg88 »

I kind of like the round robin rules, it means regardless you get to play everyone no eliminations. and it can be extended it extra rounds if people are enjoying it. You could even split it across seasons.

first round, 3 unifiers
second round, korean war
third round mandate of heaven

Keeping track of generals I imagine would be a nightmare.

I also had this idea where we had a map that updated and players represented different states (or even different clans under a daimyo sort of thing) where eacj battle could influence other battles. That could be done in teams also like three unifiers versus the errr...anti three unifiers ( cant remember there name of the top of my head)

A narrative campaign could also be done. We used to play warhammer tabletop back in the day, sometimes we would have a series of 4 battles, where three of the battles determined how much in the way of reinforcements your side got for the final battle.

Just throwing ideas out there

(notes for the future slitherine, 3 vs 3 multiplayer is what we are looking for...)
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

I like the Team idea, a Ming Force ( half the players ) V Various enemies of the Ming ( the other half ) then reverse the sides maybe ?
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

stegg88 wrote:I also had this idea where we had a map that updated and players represented different states (or even different clans under a daimyo sort of thing) where each battle could influence other battles.
The trouble with this is it's a headache for the organizer and it's slow turn about...with few battles

Here's another idea...Set up a grid with each square an optional troop type. Before you can use the designated troop type in an army you must win a battle for that pre-designated troop type. [you may need more than one grid for different nationalities]

1. In a pre round robin battles, all armies start as small with compulsory troop types and basic predefined supports
2. You may challenge anyone
3. In the challenge each player specifies a troop type to play for.
4. The winner may then use this troop type in the next battle.
5. You may only play for a troop type once
6. Say 5 battles before a final round robin [Round robin could be in teams].
7. Round robins would be medium or large battles with players able to use the options won.

Potential problems... If army list only has 3 or 4 troop types. [Solution: don't use them] If at the end a player has lost every battle and cannot make up a large army without other troop types. [Unlikely but if this happens change to customized battle...[very large] but only use a proportion of the points [medium or large battle] This should give you higher quantities of available troops.

Recording: Just add the players name to the appropriate square and grid. Cross out troop type not won

A narrative campaign also sounds interesting...kinda of like the book craze sometime ago when you had to chose alternative actions [and forward to another page] which lead to more alternative actions. A lot of work for the person setting it up but it maybe a little gem of a campaign that can be reused time and again!

You'd need to set up a flowchart and decision tree ...and you could base it on a factual campaign.
Last edited by GDod on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Hello, I’d be interested in any of the above, cheers!
ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ahuyton »

I only just saw this. Yes I would be interested. I would even offer to (help) organise it if that was useful, and it was a relatively simple system. For example, following the FoG2 example of themed paired games played using a swiss system for working out who plays whom.
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

KiwiWarlord wrote:I like the Team idea, a Ming Force ( half the players ) V Various enemies of the Ming ( the other half ) then reverse the sides maybe ?
This would be a nice format. If there were interest then I would be happy to organise it. I am going away for a few days but if there any replies and further suggestions then I will make a proposal when I get back. Suggest that we keep it simple, no maps or campaign moves at least not this time, even though I totally see the attraction.

Return to “Sengoku Jidai: Tournaments & Leagues”